U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 PM

33 posts, read 77,419 times

Advertisements

I'm going this summer and after college, it's either NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago or Tampa.

I'm visiting them all before I graduate but New York is at the top of my list because, well, it's New York! My question is how true is this? And what makes NYC a really hard place to be in?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:21 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
Cost of living , can be stressful environment , New York isn't all its cracked up to be , there was a good post a few months ago on that. Alot of my New Jersey / New York City / LI friends are in College up in the Boston Region. They seem to like it up there alot.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,170,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Cost of living , can be stressful environment , New York isn't all its cracked up to be , there was a good post a few months ago on that. Alot of my New Jersey / New York City / LI friends are in College up in the Boston Region. They seem to like it up there alot.
Dont u live in jersey,man. I know you feel some type a way about the city but come on.

Anyway to answer your question. NYC can be a rouh place, but if you have a good paying job you should do just fine. 8. million plus make it here everyday. Get in where you fit in

Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,108,653 times
It depends on what kind of work you want to do and what kind of lifestyle you want to live. If you are moving here to be in an artistic/creative field - it is the place to be... However, every artistic/creative person knows that and they are all here trying to make it! I am one of them! It can be very competitive. Also, if you don't make a lot of money - you'll have to budget wisely and a lot of people don't like living in NYC that way.
It's an amazing place to live - but it can be hard. That doesn't mean it's not worth it!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM

769 posts, read 1,777,214 times
Don't come to Tampa- I live there right now and trying to go back to NYC! It isn't really much of a city- very suburban/rural. Not much to do. And it's way too hot- it was in the mid 90's in May!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,389,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Don't come to Tampa- I live there right now and trying to go back to NYC! It isn't really much of a city- very suburban/rural. Not much to do. And it's way too hot- it was in the mid 90's in May!
Lol NYC was in the Mid-90's in March!

I agree with Nexis to a certain extent, but you're visiting them all, only you will know what's best for you and if you end up making the wrong decision you can always transfer somewhere else. They're all great cities imo.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM

769 posts, read 1,777,214 times
Yeah but I went to NYC last year in July- and all my relatives up there told me it was burning hot. I got there and it was at least 15 degrees cooler than Tampa. I'd much rather put up with a few months of cold and snow than 11 months of burning hot.

And really, 95 in March? My relatives were telling me it was freezing cold and snowing in March? Heck it was pretty cold (for FL) in Tampa in March.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 PM

233 posts, read 577,595 times
The phrase isn't 100% true. For instance, just because you can make it in NY, doesn't mean you can "make it" in Hawaii.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Dont u live in jersey,man. I know you feel some type a way about the city but come on.

Anyway to answer your question. NYC can be a rouh place, but if you have a good paying job you should do just fine. 8. million plus make it here everyday. Get in where you fit in
I got some New York blood in me , i'm just telling the truth.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,414,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

In all honesty, a good portion of that 8 million are not adults. Like someone said, it can be a cool place to hang out but living day to day is not all its cracked up to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or