U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,271,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
funny, you speak so highly of SF. Have you lived there? starting to think you've never even been there..WAY WAY WAY more homeless in SF than NYC.
And i guess you think finding a job or apt. in SF is easier than NY?
seriously, go visit SF and get your facts straight.
I think that statement might actually be false, I think you see more homeless in SF that it feels like you do in NYC, but I remember hearing the homeless number, including those living in the old subway lines and such, to be about 40K people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,282,964 times
You will hate NYC if you don't have money. If you have some discretionary nome to spend then you'll love it.

It really is as simple as that.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 AM

23 posts, read 21,734 times
Vanguard: Not only did I go there, but I lived there for a short time. I lived with a friend. Plus, I know many famous people who live there. You speak of more homeless in SF, you must hate the place, because when I was there, I only saw one or two hanging around one of the main BART stations. NYC has way more homeless than NYC. I guess you are a lover of NYC. If that is your choice, so be it, but don't put people down who hate it okay. Finding a job in SF is a whole lot easier. NYC's financial system is on the verge of collapse. Maybe you don't know the inside scoop like I do. If it wasn't for the tourist, NYC's financial system would collapse completely.

I know my facts. Do you?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Urbanlife: According to stats, the number of homeless in NYC has gone beyond 65,000. I am a writer and have connections with many organizations in NYC. There is an organization in NYC that deal with the homeless. I talked to one of the volunteers recently, she told me the number of homeless in the city of NY has increased to well over 65,000, and that number is growing every day. NYC is just not the place to live and so many people lose their apartments. Even many of the richest people have moved out, saying that NYC is too expensive and not classy like it used to be. One such person quoted, "Too many minorities and foreigners for my taste."

Maybe that is why I see moving vans on many streets in NYC every day. Look down every street and you will see buildings closed. Many business establishments left or closed their doors for good. I talked to a business owner recently, and he told me NYC is getting too expensive. People just don't have the money to buy the things they used to. Even many restaurants that were once jammed, are now nearly empty.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:09 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,271,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhusted View Post
Urbanlife: According to stats, the number of homeless in NYC has gone beyond 65,000. I am a writer and have connections with many organizations in NYC. There is an organization in NYC that deal with the homeless. I talked to one of the volunteers recently, she told me the number of homeless in the city of NY has increased to well over 65,000, and that number is growing every day. NYC is just not the place to live and so many people lose their apartments. Even many of the richest people have moved out, saying that NYC is too expensive and not classy like it used to be. One such person quoted, "Too many minorities and foreigners for my taste."

Maybe that is why I see moving vans on many streets in NYC every day. Look down every street and you will see buildings closed. Many business establishments left or closed their doors for good. I talked to a business owner recently, and he told me NYC is getting too expensive. People just don't have the money to buy the things they used to. Even many restaurants that were once jammed, are now nearly empty.
Alright, thanks....though, not sure the point you are trying to make, but I am not surprised that the number of homeless is so high and rising.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM

The bottom line is simple. NYC is a decent place to visit but not to live in.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,302,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhusted View Post
The bottom line is simple. NYC is a decent place to visit but not to live in.
It's just your opinion

Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,780,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
I want to move to NYC and everyone talks about how NYC is SOOO expensive and it is so difficult to live in and It makes me upset! I really do not think it is THAT much diffrent from where I live now..

I live in Miami Florida. For a decent 1b its about 1,000- 1,200 2b 1,500 and UP! PLUS we have to pay for a car , at least in the city public transportant is relativley cheap OO and you can not drive a crappy car because that is the ONLY way of transportation so it can not break down on you and if it does you have to quickly come up with $$ to fix it because if not you cant get to work , school etc. Add to that car insurance and gas $$ which is expensive! People are always in a rush running from work( everyone works ALOT) to school or from work to run errands there is TONS of traffic!! You can be stuck waiting for an 1hr in almost stand still traffic... AND people are not friendly they are rude they want it NOW and only care about themselves their time sechudle. There is all types of races cubans dominicans puerto ricans venezuelans columbians hitans jamicans ecuadorian peruvian white black EVERYTHING!
Entertainment is expensive.. alcohol bars , clubs etc.. I'm not complaining about Miami I'm just saying I makes me upset that people would say that I can not make it in NYC... I really do not think it will be such a HUGE adjustment from where I live now..the BIGGEST diffrence will probably be not having the beach nxt door and actually having a change of seasons not 80 degrees everyday lol

I just want to move because I am young and I wanna see a new place try new things meet new people.. And im confident that I will be ok!

Does anyone else understand where I am coming from or am I being ignorant?
Hahaha, What The....

What is that part I bolded? You are complaining about "all types of races" ...in Miami?
And then you name about 6 or 7 Spanish speaking nationalities?

Please be clear, are you complaining about this?

If you have issues with Hispanics or any other race, do not, under any circumstance move to New York! Are you kidding me with this?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Not really Italianuser. I actually heard this from a number of business people and people that visited this city. The message I am stating is from the horse's mouth, as it were.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM

Info411, the bird man is right. If you don't like facing so many ethnic groups now, you won't want NYC either. According to the census, NYC is made up of 65% foreigners. That is a 30% jump from 2010. The same people you are trying to run away from are here as well. Plus, the price of goods are much higher in NYC than in Florida. Do yourself a favor and stay in Florida. At least you don't have to face cold and snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or