U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 AM

6,054 posts, read 6,098,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
NYC is absolutely the land of opportunity in my books. You will be inspired by the energy, action, opportunities, networking, and vast amount of change that occurs here every single day. There are so many opportunities to capitalize on and waves to catch and ride that it's worth the risk. Without risk there is no reward. Take a shot.
I agree. It's one of those places where stuff happens, to put it oversimplistically. Anyone serious about making it in whatever it is they do would be hard pressed to find a better place to try than here. It's such a large market and virtually every industry you can imagine has a significant presence here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:59 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,759,537 times
To the OP: those people who tell you that you won't like NYC...don't pay any attention to them! (In fact, answer them like a New Yorker: "Fuhgeddaboudit!")

Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 AM

470 posts, read 961,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
I want to move to NYC and everyone talks about how NYC is SOOO expensive and it is so difficult to live in and It makes me upset! I really do not think it is THAT much diffrent from where I live now..

I live in Miami Florida. For a decent 1b its about 1,000- 1,200 2b 1,500 and UP! PLUS we have to pay for a car , at least in the city public transportant is relativley cheap OO and you can not drive a crappy car because that is the ONLY way of transportation so it can not break down on you and if it does you have to quickly come up with $$ to fix it because if not you cant get to work , school etc. Add to that car insurance and gas $$ which is expensive! People are always in a rush running from work( everyone works ALOT) to school or from work to run errands there is TONS of traffic!! You can be stuck waiting for an 1hr in almost stand still traffic... AND people are not friendly they are rude they want it NOW and only care about themselves their time sechudle. There is all types of races cubans dominicans puerto ricans venezuelans columbians hitans jamicans ecuadorian peruvian white black EVERYTHING!
Entertainment is expensive.. alcohol bars , clubs etc.. I'm not complaining about Miami I'm just saying I makes me upset that people would say that I can not make it in NYC... I really do not think it will be such a HUGE adjustment from where I live now..the BIGGEST diffrence will probably be not having the beach nxt door and actually having a change of seasons not 80 degrees everyday lol

I just want to move because I am young and I wanna see a new place try new things meet new people.. And im confident that I will be ok!

Does anyone else understand where I am coming from or am I being ignorant?
OP, don't you think that other might have a better impression of a place than you do?
NYC is NOTHING like Miami (I've been to both...NYC on multiple occasions) and to try to say that is the case shows that you really don't have a clue.

Unless you know a number of people in NYC,have a job lined up, and have a place to stay it's probably a poor idea to move there. Especially since the economy is doing so poorly.

You seem to be dead-set on moving regardless of what people tell you,so I hope that your are successful if you do.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 AM

10,757 posts, read 25,578,693 times
One thing to remember is that on your projected income, you must be committed to NYC. It must be the fulfillment of a dream, or to better your chances of career success in subsequent positions, so that the hassle and expense are worth it. Big-ticket items like rent are easy to factor, but NYC can nickel and dime you to death if you are not cognizant of the differences in price, which on the projected income presented in the thread, would be a requirement. You would not have enough room in the budget not to be vigilant, after paying resident income taxes, rent, utilities, etc.

A car is one expense, but those costs can easily be absorbed by a NYC lifestyle, in the outer boroughs, since Manhattan would be too expensive, even with a roommate, unless you were in a marginal neighborhood. And, there's no need for that, since you could get a better neighborhood in Queens, for example, and be the same distance from Midtown, if not closer than Upper Manhattan.

People do keep cars in NYC, or they rent, and/or belong to ZipCar -- so there are still car-related expenses, especially if you need to shop out of the city, or want to take a day trip to the beach, etc. A car is a luxury for many, but there are definite reasons why one is needed, especially in a far flung outer borough. Even in Manahttan, I am not without a car, even in Manhattan, but I know that many survive just fine without owning one, but they do have car-related expenses.

Even without car expenses, you will have additional transportation expenses for getting out of the city, be it via bus from the Port Authority, or train from Penn Station/Grand Central. If you can go somewhere on the bus routes (Mega, Chinatown, Bolt), you can save some money on the transportation expenses, since few people would find limiting themselves to the range of a Metro Card to be too satisfying for too long, especially if you like the beach.

That's just one area where I see an issue with the projected budget, since you may be eliminating the expenses of a car that you own, but will also have some of those expenses in your NYC budget for a rental, car sharing service, or additional transportation cost.

Many roommates, who do not know each other first, tend to view the relationship as a business arrangement, and might not be as friendly. It's just something to consider, if you are counting on a roommate situation to be an instant friendship, because such situations tend to be the exception, rather than the rule. Initially, that situation could make you alone, on a strict budget, and in an outer borough -- which might not be the most pleasant lifestyle, hence why you would need to be committed to the city to make it work, and to change the situation.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 PM

19 posts, read 70,331 times
I think, as a Queens New Yorker that's lived here itself for 40 years, and has lived in other palces, including England, that there is alot for you-plenty of restaurants and theatre to choose from, if you can afford it, NY is a good place, especially if you're young and don't mind maybe working 2 jobs to make ends meet.

New York has alot to offer. It relatively easy commuting, except for it being expensive, and crowded. It's got alot of choices for places to eat and shop.

I have lived in NY most of my life. I'm ready for change. Why? Because I am tired of the pushy rushiness of it. I'm tired of prices going up, taxes going up, and a paycheck that just doesn't go as far and no raises in 3 years.

I would really suggest, before you move, that you do alot of checking out CL online. I'd also suggest coming here for a long weekend, and seeing some of the apartments for rent so you get an idea of what's out there, here. We just rented a small one bedroom in Queens for 1050 a month. It's a cute little place, but comes without the bells and whistles of Miami-no central air, and aside from heating, utilities are extra.

that said, I know alot of young folks here from other places enjoying it alot, so have fun!

Fyre

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 PM

42 posts, read 260,950 times
Design7 this is true..i agree and i have know and heard of many other people in that situation.. And im sure its difficult to libe confortable in NYC but something about the city must be great when alot of people that work in skycrapers with degrees choose to ruff it on the city...dnt you think?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 AM

6,054 posts, read 6,098,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
One thing to remember is that on your projected income, you must be committed to NYC. It must be the fulfillment of a dream, or to better your chances of career success in subsequent positions, so that the hassle and expense are worth it. Big-ticket items like rent are easy to factor, but NYC can nickel and dime you to death if you are not cognizant of the differences in price, which on the projected income presented in the thread, would be a requirement. You would not have enough room in the budget not to be vigilant, after paying resident income taxes, rent, utilities, etc.
This is spot on in my experience. It's easy not to have a car and it's related expenses. It's relatively easy to factor in rent, utilites, and a metrocard to get around, but those things are just the hygeine factors to get you into the game, so to speak. It's the x-factors that will sting you, and you can be sure they will to some extent. If someone is from a boring place where miscellaneous expenses are stable, because your weekly routine is stable and your lifestyle is basically boring and cheap, it wont be in New York, for better or worse (at least not for a long time). Count on 6 months worth of expenses lasting about 3, or maybe 4 if you're a true cheapskate at heart. But 6? Forget it.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,664,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInQueens View Post
Don't know if this helps, but this previous post of mine
was liked by a lot of people, and it's realted to this post, so I'll repost:

Many factors to that answer, like:

1. If you have a lot of money, yes.
2. If you are a dynamic person (even if you are broke), it could be good.
3. If you are in the right situation, .. having a lot of family and friends here.

Things you have to "put up with":

* Traffic and congestion.
* Ridiculous housing costs . . even in the boroughs,. . $1000.00 for a small studio.
* Nobody trusting anybody. Yeah, the people are "friendly" but the reality is people do not trust each other.
* Fierce competition for practically everything.
* Rats and roaches.
* And I guarantee this: you will not leave here without getting a parking ticket.

Not so glamorous after all.
I like how people say they want to come here because of all the "celebrities".
Well I got news for them, . . these celebrities don't give a damn about you.
Celebrites hang out with other celebrities, . . you are not invited.
They only feel safe around people who are rich or as famous as they are.
Who would want to be around most of these shallow egomaniacs anyway.

* Note : This is just my opinion from my limited experiences.

Not all celebrities are like that. My daughter talks about going to after-parties and bars with well-known bands after their shows. Musicians are different than actors. Actors tend to be snobby in my experience. Even when I was her age, I was the same way when it came to enjoying being with bands.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:45 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,439,637 times
Consider having a room mate to share living expenses - but be sure to screen them well.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:46 PM

531 posts, read 260,773 times
Yo info 411 you should just move here. If you wanna do something so bad as it sounds you do you should so it you only live once. It is a completely different world then miami but youll be fine. It shouldn't get you mad that people say you won't make it cuz **** them. Only you know whats best for you. And theres plenty of little south Florida kids down here anyway. I think there called hipsters. Youll have a lot of fun or worst case scenario appreciate ur home town much more. Whast to lose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or