U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 PM

314 posts, read 356,361 times

Advertisements

i visited new york its fun but lots of fumes that are not healthy for you.
theres lots to do you could be out at 2am and there would be stuff to do.
just make sure you dont forget to lock your door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 PM

966 posts, read 2,040,209 times
Default Sounds familiar

People told me the same thing when I decided to move to NYC. Yes, it was a challenge at first, but I lived there for about fourteen years. Every time I try living somewhere else, I keep coming back. lol.

It's good to listen to helpful advice, but my policy then and now is to only heed the advice of the winners--of those who are doing or have done what I have set out to do.

Btw, you can live in NYC on $40,000. It's very hard, but not impossible if you keep life simple, find bargains, and--again--listen to the winners. With patience, hard work, and perseverence you will surely move up the ladder in time. Stick with the positive people who believe in you and who are also pragmatic. Wetblankets and naysayers can only keep you stuck in fear and stagnation.

Wishing you the best of luck--and great courage.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 AM

17 posts, read 43,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
I want to move to NYC and everyone talks about how NYC is SOOO expensive and it is so difficult to live in and It makes me upset! I really do not think it is THAT much diffrent from where I live now..

I live in Miami Florida. For a decent 1b its about 1,000- 1,200 2b 1,500 and UP! PLUS we have to pay for a car , at least in the city public transportant is relativley cheap OO and you can not drive a crappy car because that is the ONLY way of transportation so it can not break down on you and if it does you have to quickly come up with $$ to fix it because if not you cant get to work , school etc. Add to that car insurance and gas $$ which is expensive! People are always in a rush running from work( everyone works ALOT) to school or from work to run errands there is TONS of traffic!! You can be stuck waiting for an 1hr in almost stand still traffic... AND people are not friendly they are rude they want it NOW and only care about themselves their time sechudle. There is all types of races cubans dominicans puerto ricans venezuelans columbians hitans jamicans ecuadorian peruvian white black EVERYTHING!
Entertainment is expensive.. alcohol bars , clubs etc.. I'm not complaining about Miami I'm just saying I makes me upset that people would say that I can not make it in NYC... I really do not think it will be such a HUGE adjustment from where I live now..the BIGGEST diffrence will probably be not having the beach nxt door and actually having a change of seasons not 80 degrees everyday lol

I just want to move because I am young and I wanna see a new place try new things meet new people.. And im confident that I will be ok!

Does anyone else understand where I am coming from or am I being ignorant?
If you are coming from Miami I think that you would be fine in NYC. I moved there from Madison WI right after college and everyone said Id be back with in a month. I didnt care or listen to what they said and ended up living there for six years. It IS hard living in NYC (especially now days). The cost of housing is absolutely ridiculous. But its also hard (and expensive) living in Miami these days. And like you said, once you deduct money for a car its similar. You just wont likely be living in the neighborhood of your first choice. You'll be fine I'm sure. And if you don't like it you can always move. The same as you would do anywhere else. Don't let other people's lack of faith in themselves and lack of courage determine your life's path.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 AM

17 posts, read 43,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
I want to move to NYC and everyone talks about how NYC is SOOO expensive and it is so difficult to live in and It makes me upset! I really do not think it is THAT much diffrent from where I live now..

I live in Miami Florida. For a decent 1b its about 1,000- 1,200 2b 1,500 and UP! PLUS we have to pay for a car , at least in the city public transportant is relativley cheap OO and you can not drive a crappy car because that is the ONLY way of transportation so it can not break down on you and if it does you have to quickly come up with $$ to fix it because if not you cant get to work , school etc. Add to that car insurance and gas $$ which is expensive! People are always in a rush running from work( everyone works ALOT) to school or from work to run errands there is TONS of traffic!! You can be stuck waiting for an 1hr in almost stand still traffic... AND people are not friendly they are rude they want it NOW and only care about themselves their time sechudle. There is all types of races cubans dominicans puerto ricans venezuelans columbians hitans jamicans ecuadorian peruvian white black EVERYTHING!
Entertainment is expensive.. alcohol bars , clubs etc.. I'm not complaining about Miami I'm just saying I makes me upset that people would say that I can not make it in NYC... I really do not think it will be such a HUGE adjustment from where I live now..the BIGGEST diffrence will probably be not having the beach nxt door and actually having a change of seasons not 80 degrees everyday lol

I just want to move because I am young and I wanna see a new place try new things meet new people.. And im confident that I will be ok!

Does anyone else understand where I am coming from or am I being ignorant?
If you are coming from Miami I think that you would be fine in NYC (i've lived i both cities). I moved there from Madison WI right after college and everyone said Id be back with in a month. I didnt care or listen to what they said and ended up living there for six years. It IS hard living in NYC (especially now days). The cost of housing is absolutely ridiculous. But its also hard (and expensive) living in Miami these days. And like you said, once you deduct money for a car its similar. You just wont likely be living in the neighborhood of your first choice. You'll be fine I'm sure. And if you don't like it you can always move. The same as you would do anywhere else. Don't let other people's lack of faith in themselves and lack of courage determine your life's path.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 AM

129 posts, read 211,018 times
If I can live in San Francisco, then I should definitely be able to live in NYC.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 PM

880 posts, read 1,661,440 times
People actually say that? I mean I understand the expenses and stuff..

It's funny because people tell me I won't like the out of NYC because I'd have to drive everywhere.

If you can afford to do all that in Miami, I think you can make it in NYC. It really isn't so bad. There really is not reputation/status about cars here, unless you're rich. But nobody really cares unless you drive, because everyone takes the public transportation or cabs. If you survived through all that in Miami, I don't think it'll be 'impossible' for you here. It really is not that bad as people seem to make it out to be.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM

60 posts, read 134,546 times
In terms of looking for jobs... check out www.indeed.com. You won't even need to look at Monster, Careerbuilder, etc., because Indeed acts like a job search engine and combines all online job boards in one search.

You can check out craigslist as well, but beware of scams.

Some job fields also have their own websites (i.e. Dice for IT, Communicationjobs for well communication, adminfinder for administrative, etc.), so it would help if you explained what job experience you have and what you want to do. There are also a million placement agencies in NY that could help you as well (but again, beware. Some agencies are headhunters and will either charge you a fee, or do a lackluster job of trying to place you if they are not confident in your abilities).

Just remember... it is more expensive in NYC, but you are compensated at a higher rate. Even in NJ, the same job I do here, I can find similar jobs in NYC for $15k - $20k more... and I live only 45 min outside of the city. I am not saying you will be working as a receptionist and making $100,000, but for what you make in Florida, you are likely to make much more than that in NYC.

I wholely agree with the posters who said it's the little things that count. Everything in NYC is more expensive, even down to a bottle of water or a pack of cigarettes (not condoing smoking... but as an example. Cigarettes in NJ are $8, in NYC they are $11). I think looking at an online budget calculator will help you estimate how much you need to make for the big stuff (rent, utilities, food, etc)... but you need to OVERESTIMATE what you will be spending in order to catch all the little things you may not think of.

I think it's hard for people here to tell you its not doable when they know nothing about you in terms of what job you will get, how much money you already have, what your work ethic is like, etc. Just be realistic with yourself and don't underestimate the expenses in NY. I can tell you NY is much more expensive than Miami, but again, there are more opportunities for you here most likely, and will allow you to make up the difference.

Good luck

Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,414,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
. But nobody really cares unless you drive, because everyone takes the public transportation or cabs. .
Everyone takes public transportation?Really? Have u been to the outer boroughs lately b/c a hefty amount of NYers own vehicles, evidenced by the lack of parking in almost every neighborhood. Remember, the living lifestyle of Manhatten does not represent the entire city.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 21,725 times
Default Coming to NYC

You are crazy to come here. NYC is not what people claim it to be. It is all hype. You would do better staying in Florida. Shoot, I live in NYC and wish I had the money to move. I'd move to Florida. Based on my experience in living here, you are ignorant about this city. Too many foreigners. Too expensive to live. Threats of terrorism earthquakes, and many other natural disasters. Forget NYC and go to San Francisco. The people are nicer there. NYC people are too snobbish.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,189,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhusted View Post
You are crazy to come here. NYC is not what people claim it to be. It is all hype. You would do better staying in Florida. Shoot, I live in NYC and wish I had the money to move. I'd move to Florida. Based on my experience in living here, you are ignorant about this city. Too many foreigners. Too expensive to live. Threats of terrorism earthquakes, and many other natural disasters. Forget NYC and go to San Francisco. The people are nicer there. NYC people are too snobbish.
hhusted, well said I agree with you 100%! I have some family in Macon, Georgia so I'm maybe relocating there soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or