U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,429,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
A wonderful place.

A city built by Dutch East India Company and taken over by Anglo-saxon American colonists.

Anglo saxon Americans (Alfred Beach and Thomas Edison).

Those places were/are filthy dumps.

Who cares. Those are jobs anyone can do and are not limited by anyone. Go sell papers in your own country, go drive cabs in your own country, go be a nanny to your countrymen's kids.

LOL WUT
You should move here to Portland, OR which is about 84% white, or even better, Spokane, Wa where it is about 95% white. You don't have to worry about those pesky immigrants over here.....I never could understand why someone would want to complain about the city that they live in when it clearly sounds like they would be much happier somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM

2,370 posts, read 3,351,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You should move here to Portland, OR which is about 84% white, or even better, Spokane, Wa where it is about 95% white. You don't have to worry about those pesky immigrants over here.....I never could understand why someone would want to complain about the city that they live in when it clearly sounds like they would be much happier somewhere else.
Exactly. There are many more homogenous places in the US (and even the tri-state) to live if foreigners bother you so much. Also, how in the world is someone with a user name that has "Flushing" in it, anti immigrant? LOL.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
A wonderful place.

A city built by Dutch East India Company and taken over by Anglo-saxon American colonists.

Anglo saxon Americans (Alfred Beach and Thomas Edison).

Those places were/are filthy dumps.

Who cares. Those are jobs anyone can do and are not limited by anyone. Go sell papers in your own country, go drive cabs in your own country, go be a nanny to your countrymen's kids.

LOL WUT
The city was founded that way but who shaped it over the past few hundred years? It was scores of people immigrating here to build a better life. This includes everyone form Irish to Italians to Chinese (and yes, WASPs too). That's what made NYC what it is and it will continue to shape it- the diverse population. It's called a 'melting pot' for a reason.

The subway was primarily BUILT (as in actual construction of the tunnels, tracks etc) by blacks and immigrants. I recommend a visit to the transit museum- very interesting piece of NYC history.

Most of NYC was a fitly dump.

You should see the movie "A Day Without a Mexican", it's pretty eyeopening to see how life would be if suddenly all those immigrants got shipped back home. Anyway the point is that sure anyone can do those jobs, but many Americans think those jobs are beneath them so they will never do them. The immigrant population in NYC serves an essential, functional role. And as much as you complain about how much you hate "them", your life would be a hell of a lot more inconvenient if they all suddenly went home.

The point about the "Irish Need Not Apply" was to show that the Irish were once the "hated, dirty" immigrants in NYC. And that people who complain about immigrants are likely themselves descendant from a group that was at one point in time shunned and/or hated.

Also, you know that there are a lot of European immigrants here illegally, right? And I'm not talking about "those" Eastern European ones, I mean western Europeans. They tend to fly under the radar because they are western European. I have a friend that took a class in law school about illegal immigration and was giving me an eye opening rundown about it.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 PM

400 posts, read 836,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The city was founded that way but who shaped it over the past few hundred years?
Ummm do you see the names of streets and neighborhoods? Its called New YORK City, not new roma, not new dublin, not new shanghai. The vast majority of streets are named after either Anglo-saxons (English), Jutes (Dutch) or German people. Look around you, everything is named after English people. What language are we communicating in right now? Gaelic? NO! These people only have an influence on the city within the last 150 years.

Quote:
It was scores of people immigrating here to build a better life.
Why couldnt they build a better life where they came from? Why is it so imperative that they come here to do that? Also why is it that they are able to come here to build a better life? What facilitates that?

Quote:
This includes everyone form Irish to Italians to Chinese (and yes, WASPs too). That's what made NYC what it is and it will continue to shape it- the diverse population. It's called a 'melting pot' for a reason.
Its actually more like a salad bowl. I love how you throw around the word WASPS, you sound like a racist but seeing as its racism against English/Anglo-saxons you wont get any static from anyone about it. There are plenty of Anglo-saxons that are not protestants.

Quote:
The subway was primarily BUILT (as in actual construction of the tunnels, tracks etc) by blacks and immigrants. I recommend a visit to the transit museum- very interesting piece of NYC history.
. If the subways were "primarily" built by these people why couldnt these people build subways in the places they "immigrated" from? Work hard? Work hard where you come from. What is the difference between working hard there and working hard here and WHY is that? National backstabbers is what I call them.

Quote:
as much as you complain about how much you hate "them"
I would love, I would really love for you to show me where I ever said I hate ANYONE. Maybe its you that actually hates people and you are projecting that hate on me.

Quote:
your life would be a hell of a lot more inconvenient if they all suddenly went home.
Hmmmm now you have the power of clairvoyance. You can see the future now? Why wouldnt my life become MORE convenient if they all suddenly went home.

Quote:
Also, you know that there are a lot of European immigrants here illegally, right? And I'm not talking about "those" Eastern European ones, I mean western Europeans. They tend to fly under the radar because they are western European.
Well, send there a$$es back to Europe, ASAP. Then again this is a sanctuary city which actually violates federal immigration laws.

Quote:
I have a friend that took a class in law school about illegal immigration and was giving me an eye opening rundown about it.
Social sciences? Id rather not.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,429,938 times
Quote:
Ummm do you see the names of streets and neighborhoods? Its called New YORK City, not new roma, not new dublin, not new shanghai. The vast majority of streets are named after either Anglo-saxons (English), Jutes (Dutch) or German people. Look around you, everything is named after English people. What language are we communicating in right now? Gaelic? NO! These people only have an influence on the city within the last 150 years.

Why couldnt they build a better life where they came from? Why is it so imperative that they come here to do that? Also why is it that they are able to come here to build a better life? What facilitates that?

Its actually more like a salad bowl. I love how you throw around the word WASPS, you sound like a racist but seeing as its racism against English/Anglo-saxons you wont get any static from anyone about it. There are plenty of Anglo-saxons that are not protestants.

. If the subways were "primarily" built by these people why couldnt these people build subways in the places they "immigrated" from? Work hard? Work hard where you come from. What is the difference between working hard there and working hard here and WHY is that? National backstabbers is what I call them.

I would love, I would really love for you to show me where I ever said I hate ANYONE. Maybe its you that actually hates people and you are projecting that hate on me.

Hmmmm now you have the power of clairvoyance. You can see the future now? Why wouldnt my life become MORE convenient if they all suddenly went home.

Well, send there a$$es back to Europe, ASAP. Then again this is a sanctuary city which actually violates federal immigration laws.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say you are one of those New Yorkers that grew up in one neighborhood, moved out to someplace in that one neighborhood, and then complains about everything in NYC cause you never go out of that one neighborhood....I have found those types of New Yorkers to be very close minded to what really goes on in the world, which is really sad when New Yorkers are at the center of so many different cultures.

Maybe it is time for you to begin looking for some place outside of NYC that is better fitting for you cause you clearly don't like it.

And don't give me this "its the immigrants" crap. I grew up in Virginia and use to always say I love the state but wish I could replace the people with better people. In the end, I moved away and have never looked back and it has been the best thing I have ever done in my life.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 AM

111 posts, read 189,893 times
I say 'go for it'. I wish I did it when I was in my 20's. Good luck and don't forget to let us know how it goes.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM

51 posts, read 101,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
I want to move to NYC and everyone talks about how NYC is SOOO expensive and it is so difficult to live in and It makes me upset! I really do not think it is THAT much diffrent from where I live now..

I live in Miami Florida. For a decent 1b its about 1,000- 1,200 2b 1,500 and UP! PLUS we have to pay for a car , at least in the city public transportant is relativley cheap OO and you can not drive a crappy car because that is the ONLY way of transportation so it can not break down on you and if it does you have to quickly come up with $$ to fix it because if not you cant get to work , school etc. Add to that car insurance and gas $$ which is expensive! People are always in a rush running from work( everyone works ALOT) to school or from work to run errands there is TONS of traffic!! You can be stuck waiting for an 1hr in almost stand still traffic... AND people are not friendly they are rude they want it NOW and only care about themselves their time sechudle. There is all types of races cubans dominicans puerto ricans venezuelans columbians hitans jamicans ecuadorian peruvian white black EVERYTHING!
Entertainment is expensive.. alcohol bars , clubs etc.. I'm not complaining about Miami I'm just saying I makes me upset that people would say that I can not make it in NYC... I really do not think it will be such a HUGE adjustment from where I live now..the BIGGEST diffrence will probably be not having the beach nxt door and actually having a change of seasons not 80 degrees everyday lol

I just want to move because I am young and I wanna see a new place try new things meet new people.. And im confident that I will be ok!

Does anyone else understand where I am coming from or am I being ignorant?
I understand where you are coming from! Everyone tells me that it is extremely expensive, which I already know. I lived in NYC once before for about two years and loved it. I always felt like I was at home when I was here.
I know that it is very very expensive. You have to count your costs before you go, of course. I wouldn't move unless I knew what I'd be paying in rent, food, transportation, taxes, etc. I definitely want to, but sometimes it scares me what people tell me about living here. I know that I definitely want to, but sometimes things are pipe dreams.
I say if you can afford it and you count your costs, you can find some way to do it and be happy.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM

590 posts, read 970,492 times
Quote:

What your ancestors have accomplished and what you have accomplished are two different things.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 PM

6,964 posts, read 5,486,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
What your ancestors have accomplished and what you have accomplished are two different things.

Good question. I am sure he will not reply.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Touche
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or