U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 AM

75 posts, read 123,790 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I am older than you so I am going to give you some advice that I finally have learned for myself. Do what is in YOUR heart. Son't listen to everyone else!! You can make it here, most people do. It's expensive yes. What is the worst than can happen? You move back to Florida? Follow your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,696,814 times
I don't think the OP has posted since 2010. I wonder if he ever made it here

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

23 posts, read 21,774 times
Did you ever hear the expression, "He wore out his welcome?" This means that when someone stays in a person's place too long, the owner gets tired of them and want them to leave. NYC is the same way. They advertised themselves as the greatest city in the world for way too long that they have worn out their welcome. People have been lied to so much that now they believe the lie as myth. I never bought into the hype. I am only in this city because I have no choice, at least not at the moment. But when I am able to, I will leave.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM

KidNurze: It may be good for someone to follow his/her heart, but it is also important to prevent someone from making a mistake. The only people who have made it here in this city are the richest ones on Wall Street and real estate developers. I don't think anyone knows this, but scientists have definite proof that a major earthquake will hit this area within the next 5 years. Plus, a large tsunami is expected to hit here before 2013. Therefore, if I were to give advice to anyone, who wishes to move here, my reply is not to. NYC is, and has always been a terrorist attraction. Every day I see moving vans throughout the city. By the way, someone wrote an article a few months ago that NYC would end up being a wasteland by 2015. Don't laugh. With all the threats against this city, don't be surprised if it happens.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM

102 posts, read 153,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhusted View Post
KidNurze: It may be good for someone to follow his/her heart, but it is also important to prevent someone from making a mistake. The only people who have made it here in this city are the richest ones on Wall Street and real estate developers. I don't think anyone knows this, but scientists have definite proof that a major earthquake will hit this area within the next 5 years. Plus, a large tsunami is expected to hit here before 2013. Therefore, if I were to give advice to anyone, who wishes to move here, my reply is not to. NYC is, and has always been a terrorist attraction. Every day I see moving vans throughout the city. By the way, someone wrote an article a few months ago that NYC would end up being a wasteland by 2015. Don't laugh. With all the threats against this city, don't be surprised if it happens.
I'm not a Wall Street guy and I made it here. There is no definite proof that a major earthquake will hit New York in 5 years. That statement is either a lie or you are misinformed. Stating that a large tsunami is expected to hit the city before 2013 demonstrates your complete lack of understanding of the science behind tsunamis. The La Palma Island scenario for a Tsunami (if that is what you are referring to) has been proved to be a false hypothesis.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,975 times
**** u wont like nyc dummy! But go ahead and waist your time!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,743,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
I'm not a Wall Street guy and I made it here. There is no definite proof that a major earthquake will hit New York in 5 years. That statement is either a lie or you are misinformed. Stating that a large tsunami is expected to hit the city before 2013 demonstrates your complete lack of understanding of the science behind tsunamis. The La Palma Island scenario for a Tsunami (if that is what you are referring to) has been proved to be a false hypothesis.

Gotta love fearmongering. I can just make up "facts" too. NYC is pretty safe from a lot of issues. There is always the threat of terrorism ANYPLACE. Ask Oklahoma City. You take your chances living in a big city like this. I still haven't had severe worry about terrorism. I'm too busy trying to catch a train to work.

Anyways, don't say you don't need a car. What you need is either a cheap car, access to money to pay for zipcars, or a friend that is happy to lend you a ride. We have a car in Forest Hills and while it's a burden for parking sometimes, it's really nice to be able to drive to Costco and fill the trunk. Or head to Trader Joes and stock up. Plus we can drive to LI and hit up the beaches. It makes like more fun because you aren't constricted by taking a bus, to a train, then the LIRR. Or lugging a cart of stuff from Costco to your place.

We make combined about 110k but we have a car and a baby living in a large 1 bedroom. You can make it in this city. You just need to get 1. a savings account with probably around 5k at least 2. job that pays at LEAST 40-50k 3. roommate(s) 4. an idea of how much more things cost here.

I love NYC but it's a city that can bleed you dry cash wise if you let it. Don't eat out every day. Don't just go to the local supermarket, shop around for the deals. And keep putting money away in your savings so you can actually go out and see the fun things instead of sinking into debt trying to live the high life.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Are you a scientist? I happen to be a close friend of a scientist, who works for NASA, and he showed me proof of my claims. You can be in denial all you want, but there is a fault line that goes up the Hudson River and if you want proof, I send it to you by email. As for you making it here, that is a lie in itself. Unless you inherited riches from your parents, work at Wall Street, are a real estate developer, or run ponzi schemes, you are not going to make it here. Bottom line.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks Johnny. I'm glad someone agrees.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Skilldeadly:

Here is what you said:

Gotta love fearmongering. I can just make up "facts" too. NYC is pretty safe from a lot of issues. There is always the threat of terrorism ANYPLACE. Ask Oklahoma City. You take your chances living in a big city like this. I still haven't had severe worry about terrorism. I'm too busy trying to catch a train to work.

That is the wrong way to think. You are staying blind to everything. One day you will get on a bus or train and suddenly you will see a bunch of cops running to investigate something, only to discover it is a terrorist attack. NYC is very vulnerable and will always be that way. I listen to the news. I do my best to keep updated on what is happening, so if there is a danger, I can stay clear of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or