Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM

42 posts, read 306,815 times

Advertisements

To me its like when I'm in my 40s and look back 20 years I will be able to remember NYC even if it was horrible or if it was the best time of my life it will be an experience to remember...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 PM

244 posts, read 664,691 times
Don't know if this helps, but this previous post of mine
was liked by a lot of people, and it's realted to this post, so I'll repost:

Many factors to that answer, like:

1. If you have a lot of money, yes.
2. If you are a dynamic person (even if you are broke), it could be good.
3. If you are in the right situation, .. having a lot of family and friends here.

Things you have to "put up with":

* Traffic and congestion.
* Ridiculous housing costs . . even in the boroughs,. . $1000.00 for a small studio.
* Nobody trusting anybody. Yeah, the people are "friendly" but the reality is people do not trust each other.
* Fierce competition for practically everything.
* Rats and roaches.
* And I guarantee this: you will not leave here without getting a parking ticket.

Not so glamorous after all.
I like how people say they want to come here because of all the "celebrities".
Well I got news for them, . . these celebrities don't give a damn about you.
Celebrites hang out with other celebrities, . . you are not invited.
They only feel safe around people who are rich or as famous as they are.
Who would want to be around most of these shallow egomaniacs anyway.

* Note : This is just my opinion from my limited experiences.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM

84 posts, read 292,890 times
I honestly think you can do it on $40k outside of Manhattan - and enjoy the city pretty well on that income. Many museums have a free, or "pay what you want" day. There are theater programs that you can join where you can get the cheap nose-bleed Broadway seats starting around a few bucks, I've seen MANY shows for less than $10, I don't mind the back row! You might need to save a bit to splurge on a big night out, but there are oodles of places to eat well and cheaply. For clothing, shop the sale racks-there are many, many deals to be found. Have a budget and stick to it. Go for it.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:22 PM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times
info 411: I think you can totally do this, If you are willing to have a roomate and could contribute $1500k/per month you can have a NICE apt in manhattan. Im sure you realize it will NOT be a penthouse but it will be a NICE APT. there are MANY nice 2 br apts in nice areas in manhattan for $3k a month- Also we have 4 other boroughs here that is within a no more than a 1/2 hr train ride into manhattan- so even if you do NOT want a roomate you can DEFINITELY find a 1br apt in a nice area for $1500 OR LESS- I know people that have very nice 1 br's in bayside queens and pay $1200/month, nice apt, very nice area- it ABSOLUTELY helps that your family will be helping to contribute to help you get on your feet. I always say if you have ambition do it- follow your heart- and it sounds like if you winded up "making the wrong move" you can go back to miami and your family is there- You will Never know if you dont try it sounds like you got the drive and you are up for it- Good luck in your adventure!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM

Mike In Queens- Traffic Congestion , Not trusting people, Competition I am used to all that stuff because where I am from it is the SAME WAY. And roaches/ rats traffic tickets well I will NEVER like that who does? But hey you have to take the good with the bad right? NY does have alot bad but I can deal with the bad in order to have the good...

Lynn79os and Jackinyc - THANKS!! for some positive comments! I think you understand where I am comming from.. I do not want to live rich and extra confortable. I am ok with sharing with a roomate and I do not have to live right in Manhattan because the ride there is not long at all. Also there are tons of inexpensive things I can do. And YES if i do not work out then I can come home!! Its not a DO OR DIE type of situation.. I can try it out for a year if I do not like it or if its not for me my house is always WIDE open for me to come back !=)

Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 PM

I think anyone can do anything they set their mind too if I really want something and I am willing to work for it and I am determined to accomlish my goals I beleive the world is at my finger tips! Not just for me that goes for everyone...

Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 PM

OOO and are there any places I can find a job from over here or at least start looking??

Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
This is the attitude and mindset you need to survive in NYC. I say try it. As long as you have a degree (really any bachelors degree) and some experience, anyone has at least a shot. I wouldn't advise coming here without a degree though, there's just very little chance you will be considered, especially if you don't have any NYC experience either - recruiters tend to be suspicious of out of towners and their intent.

I came to NYC with just a dollar and a dream. I just had my newly inked degree, a used suit and knocked down doors until I landed a temp job for $15 an hour or 30K a year. After 3 years, I more than tripled that. NYC is absolutely the land of opportunity in my books. You will be inspired by the energy, action, opportunities, networking, and vast amount of change that occurs here every single day. There are so many opportunities to capitalize on and waves to catch and ride that it's worth the risk. Without risk there is no reward. Take a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
OK LOOK I do not want to go there and expect life to be like what it is down here.. I know it will not be easy..I dont expect it to be.. I know I will not have TONS of $$ left over for shopping, clubs, bars, restaurants, plays etc. I understand I wont be living like in Sex and the City or like in the MTV show "The City"..

I dont mind having roomates I don't have having to struggle I don't mind having to work my a** off.. to me its all part of an experience..its the self satisfaction of saying I am make it on my own!! Maybe I will hate it and move back home or maybe I will love it and end up staying a lifetime who knows? I'm YOUNG i do not care about owning a home or raising kids or living in a extra safe neighborhood with good schools.. or driving I luxury car.. I mean I do just not NOW the day I am ready for that then I will decide weather I want to stay in NYC or move back to MIA or some other city.. but for now all I want is just to work make $$$ go to school have a decent place to sleep experience a new place new people party when I can and just live life to the fullest the best way I can. I like challenges! I think everything all of have said is very vaild and true but I'm trying to get you to understand my mentality and my point of view.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
. . . if by making it you mean being able to live in a small apartment in a somewhat okay neighborhood outside of Manhattan and having enough money left over for food and a Metrocard, then you are right. . .
The honest truth is that for most New Yorkers this is a good as it gets. Even if they eventually buy a home it will still be like sharing an apartment. They will rent out a floor or room to help pay the mortgage or just buy a 2 family house for the same reason. The lives of most New Yorkers are more stressful because of the amount of effort it takes just to keep a roof over your head. Many of us may work in impressive Manhattan skyscrapers but we live in the proverbial shoe.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
I want to move to NYC and everyone talks about how NYC is SOOO expensive and it is so difficult to live in and It makes me upset! I really do not think it is THAT much diffrent from where I live now..

I live in Miami Florida. For a decent 1b its about 1,000- 1,200 2b 1,500 and UP! PLUS we have to pay for a car , at least in the city public transportant is relativley cheap OO and you can not drive a crappy car because that is the ONLY way of transportation so it can not break down on you and if it does you have to quickly come up with $$ to fix it because if not you cant get to work , school etc. Add to that car insurance and gas $$ which is expensive! People are always in a rush running from work( everyone works ALOT) to school or from work to run errands there is TONS of traffic!! You can be stuck waiting for an 1hr in almost stand still traffic... AND people are not friendly they are rude they want it NOW and only care about themselves their time sechudle. There is all types of races cubans dominicans puerto ricans venezuelans columbians hitans jamicans ecuadorian peruvian white black EVERYTHING!
Entertainment is expensive.. alcohol bars , clubs etc.. I'm not complaining about Miami I'm just saying I makes me upset that people would say that I can not make it in NYC... I really do not think it will be such a HUGE adjustment from where I live now..the BIGGEST diffrence will probably be not having the beach nxt door and actually having a change of seasons not 80 degrees everyday lol

I just want to move because I am young and I wanna see a new place try new things meet new people.. And im confident that I will be ok!

Does anyone else understand where I am coming from or am I being ignorant?
You'd be fine. Alot of it is hype. Not to say New York isn't a great place...it is, but Miami is also a relativitely expensive place to live so it wouldn't be that shocking. You don't *need* a car here, but if you live anywhere but Manhattan it's definitely doable to have one if you have some disposable income. You need a car to get to the better beaches around here for instance. (Or just know someone who has one.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City