U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 PM

42 posts, read 260,950 times

Advertisements

I want to move to NYC and everyone talks about how NYC is SOOO expensive and it is so difficult to live in and It makes me upset! I really do not think it is THAT much diffrent from where I live now..

I live in Miami Florida. For a decent 1b its about 1,000- 1,200 2b 1,500 and UP! PLUS we have to pay for a car , at least in the city public transportant is relativley cheap OO and you can not drive a crappy car because that is the ONLY way of transportation so it can not break down on you and if it does you have to quickly come up with $$ to fix it because if not you cant get to work , school etc. Add to that car insurance and gas $$ which is expensive! People are always in a rush running from work( everyone works ALOT) to school or from work to run errands there is TONS of traffic!! You can be stuck waiting for an 1hr in almost stand still traffic... AND people are not friendly they are rude they want it NOW and only care about themselves their time sechudle. There is all types of races cubans dominicans puerto ricans venezuelans columbians hitans jamicans ecuadorian peruvian white black EVERYTHING!
Entertainment is expensive.. alcohol bars , clubs etc.. I'm not complaining about Miami I'm just saying I makes me upset that people would say that I can not make it in NYC... I really do not think it will be such a HUGE adjustment from where I live now..the BIGGEST diffrence will probably be not having the beach nxt door and actually having a change of seasons not 80 degrees everyday lol

I just want to move because I am young and I wanna see a new place try new things meet new people.. And im confident that I will be ok!

Does anyone else understand where I am coming from or am I being ignorant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM

I forgot to add can anyone give me any ideas , if there are any, on places that I can start looking for a job online ahead of time before I go..? Also my parents fully supportive of my decision and will be helpping me with $$ for the first year until I get myself full settled but I still need a job of course !

Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 AM

16 posts, read 36,678 times
Well if you can comfortably afford 1,500/month you can find a small-medium sized apartment in Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx. It won't have very many amenities and might take a while to find though.

Check craigslist for jobs and apartments (beware of scams!). You need good credit history or a guarantor to rent a place like I mentioned.

As for spending money it depends on what you do with your money. If you want to go into the city and eat out 5 days a week, shop in SoHo and go out on weekends.. yeah that is expensive but like you said in that respect it is just like Miami.

I think what gets people here the most is the small stuff. The grocery store is more expensive than other places, gas etc., So you keep spending more in small amounts and that adds up quick.

NYC is a great place to be if you have money but remember most people in this city don't =)

Old 06-03-2010, 07:41 AM

769 posts, read 1,780,850 times
80 degrees everyday in Miami? More like 95+! I live in Tampa so I know how you feel.

For jobs use Craig's List, Monster, Career Builder.

I lived in Miami for 2 years and I can tell you that NYC is way more expensive, but I still like NYC better (lived there for 13 years). $1,200 a month probably gets you a nice 700 sq ft or larger 1 bedroom in a nice apartment complex in Miami. You can't even get a decent studio for that in NYC. And remember there is state and city income tax in NYC, on top of a higher sales tax rate than FL.

What type of work do you do? It will be difficult to live comfortably on your own if you don't have a specific career or profession that makes decent money, and on top of that unskilled jobs are hard to find right now. You might want to think about roommates.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 AM

84 posts, read 257,196 times
We just rented a 2 bedroom for $1500 in Queens. Your price range in Manhattan will be tricky, but it goes a LOT further outside of Manhattan.

I second Monster. It has been awesome for my husband in the job search.

Groceries can be pricey, but shop around - you can find some great sales. Again, they are drastically cheaper outside of Manhattan.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 AM

Yes!! I deffenatly want to live with roomates! I thought i had mentioned that? Especially since i will not knw anyone it will give me and an opp to make friends! And when i mean the city i dnt mean manhattan i know thats crazy insane expansive! Im considering queens brooklyn and bronx too!!

So assuming i live with a roomate outside manhattan with no car about how much do you think i will need every month to be able to cover my expenses and have a few $$ left over? Im not saying ny is easy im just saying its not as impossible as other people make it seem... Obviously million of ppl survive there everyday for years!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 AM

And not everyone that "makes it" its a wealthy proffessional...

Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM

769 posts, read 1,780,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
And not everyone that "makes it" its a wealthy proffessional...
First, I never said anything about being wealthy. I said you should have a decent paying career to live well.

Second, Define wealthy and define "makes it". Wealthy in NY and wealthy in FL mean very different things. In FL a single person making $45-50k a year can live pretty well and a couple with no kids making $90-100k a year is pretty much rich. Not the case in NY. If by making it you mean being able to live in a small apartment in a somewhat okay neighborhood outside of Manhattan and having enough money left over for food and a Metrocard, then you are right. If you want to go to sporting events, restaurants, plays/shows, live in a nice apartment in Manhattan, different story.

I know plenty of people that live up there and are not wealthy nor are they professionals, and yes they get by, but you just have to realize the kind of lifestyle you are going to live is not what many people expect.

And also part of the reason I asked if you have a specific career is because anyone one this forum will tell you how hard it is to find unskilled jobs right now- anywhere.

I'm not trying to discourage you- just telling you from one Floridian that has lived there and has lots of family there to another how it is up there. I still think NYC is an amazing place to live and if you plan things well it will work out.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:44 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,423,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
Im not saying ny is easy im just saying its not as impossible as other people make it seem... Obviously million of ppl survive there everyday for years!
Your using selective numbers. Millions survive b/c either A) they were raised in NYC, went through the system and got jobs in their hometown
B)A lot of those millions are childer living with their parents,
C)A lot of those millions are sadlly adults living with their parents
D)A ton of roomate situations
E)A lot of folks do what u just said "survive", but surviving is not living, its just existing.

With the exception of the small upper class, or upper middle class, the people that live the most comfortably in NYC (no roomates, nice neighborhood, decent living space, )and enjoy what it has to offer are those that are married or live with a significant other and have 2 incomes.

Most NYC adults work a hard stressful grind. Yeah it can be done, I just wouldnt say move to NYC from Miami thinking the cities are not very different. But the best thing to do is not listen to the advice, move to NYC, and just crash and burn on your own. And then decide if its for you.

P.S. and dont believe everything u hear about not needing a car in NYC. That may hold true for those that live in most of Manhatten, but many folks in the outer boroughs like to own a car to get around or if they dont have one, they are quick to jump into someone else's vehicle. If you dont believe me, goto Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx and you'll see theres not exactly a ton of free parking available.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM

OK LOOK I do not want to go there and expect life to be like what it is down here.. I know it will not be easy..I dont expect it to be.. I know I will not have TONS of $$ left over for shopping, clubs, bars, restaurants, plays etc. I understand I wont be living like in Sex and the City or like in the MTV show "The City"..

I dont mind having roomates I don't have having to struggle I don't mind having to work my a** off.. to me its all part of an experience..its the self satisfaction of saying I am make it on my own!! Maybe I will hate it and move back home or maybe I will love it and end up staying a lifetime who knows? I'm YOUNG i do not care about owning a home or raising kids or living in a extra safe neighborhood with good schools.. or driving I luxury car.. I mean I do just not NOW the day I am ready for that then I will decide weather I want to stay in NYC or move back to MIA or some other city.. but for now all I want is just to work make $$$ go to school have a decent place to sleep experience a new place new people party when I can and just live life to the fullest the best way I can. I like challenges! I think everything all of have said is very vaild and true but I'm trying to get you to understand my mentality and my point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or