U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 AM

303 posts, read 1,202,060 times

Advertisements

I am planning on going to NYC for the parade this fall. I am very farmilar with the city but I have never been for the parade. I would love any tips, info or feedback for visiting during this busy time.

I typically stay in Midtown at the Hilton. Is there a certain strech of the route that is best to stay? How early do you need to be up? I just would love any tips and advice on this time of year.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
The further uptown you are from Herald Square, the less crowded it will be. Just keep in mind that "less crowded" is a relative term. The whole parade route will pretty much be packed and jammed with humanity. So your best option is to pick your spot, and be there as early as possible. Before sunrise might sound weird, but trust me, show up at 5AM and you won't be alone.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:55 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,441,168 times
This is an old thread I'm resurrecting as I'm part of the first time visitors for the parade (not first time to NYC). Again, ideas where to go? Also, what about the inflating the balloons? Like to see that but heard it's gotten very crowded too. Any good or bad times to show up for that?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 PM

597 posts, read 920,999 times
I saw this thread, and thought I would share this link to a similar thread since it all ties together; Advice for 1st Time Macy's Parade Viewer

My question was with the cost of the parade on the city/taxpayers. What's your opinion? Do you think the parade is worth having if their is any cost associated with it that would lead to a large deficit? How much does Macy's really pay?

Thanks,
JH

Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM

597 posts, read 920,999 times
Sorry, looks like the link did not work!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 AM

12,421 posts, read 2,790,669 times
Anyone have any good suggestions for restaurants on Thanksgiving in NYC? Best place to watch parade? Thanks

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,258,121 times
I used to enjoy going to see them inflate the night before. Last time I did that was ~5 or 6 years ago though so I'm not sure how crowded it gets nowadays. When I last went it was busy but there was an organized and steady moving line that moved through to see the floats.

Otherwise I think the best place to watch is in front of my big screen TV.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 PM

136 posts, read 204,509 times
We watched at W 70th and Central Park west, I believe. Excellent view. We ended up way up front, right beside the parade. A lot of people leave as it is quite crowded.

Got there at 7am.

Bring a blanket to sit on while you wait.

You won't be able to use the bathroom or make your way out of the crowd easily until it's over.

We made a reservation for dinner someplace in the West Village, I don't remember where. We need up canceling it as friends invited us for thanksgiving dinner that night and we really needed a nap after the parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City