U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 PM

10,692 posts, read 20,864,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Most buildings have either cans out in front or incinerators. Most streets have garbage pick-up once or twice a week, so you put the trash out the night before if you don't have containers somewhere in your building to use everyday. Trash does not go on the curb every night in any neighborhood.
I think trash pickup comes every night on the commercial streets in my neighborhood. I don't think they could have it any other way. All sidewalk city-owned trash cans are overfull by end of each day and the businesses also seem to generate quite a bit of trash.

It's true that on the residential streets here in my area the trash is only picked up 1x or 2x per week, which means residential buildings must either have a trash area inside the building or outside on their own property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM

202 posts, read 390,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
-Times Square *is* a nightmare. (as are some of the other "squares")
-JFK is the main airport
-Portland is a boutique city, not a big city. (Seattle is the big city in the Pacific NW)
-Someone is usually always in your way in New York. I liken it to being at the county fair every single day.

See, Times Square doesnt bother me at all. Seriously, to me its not too much different than other popular areas of the city. People and traffic are all over NYC it seems to me. I love visiting NYC, and when I go there i know there are gonna be crowds and cars and other tourists all over. I live in Massachusetts, so i hop the train to NYC, get myself a bus/subway all day pass, throw my backpack on, and go where ever i want.

Thats kinda part of the attraction for me. All the hustle and bustle...the liveliness of it all.

One thing I wont do..is go to NYC too close to XMAS time. If you are a tourist, you havent SEEN crowds until you get there among prime holiday time after the XMAS tree is put up. I can deal with the usual crowds, but when I cant even move in any direction at all for like 5 minutes..thats too much.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:22 PM

3,677 posts, read 5,877,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
See, Times Square doesnt bother me at all. Seriously, to me its not too much different than other popular areas of the city. People and traffic are all over NYC it seems to me. I love visiting NYC, and when I go there i know there are gonna be crowds and cars and other tourists all over. I live in Massachusetts, so i hop the train to NYC, get myself a bus/subway all day pass, throw my backpack on, and go where ever i want.

Thats kinda part of the attraction for me. All the hustle and bustle...the liveliness of it all.

One thing I wont do..is go to NYC too close to XMAS time. If you are a tourist, you havent SEEN crowds until you get there among prime holiday time after the XMAS tree is put up. I can deal with the usual crowds, but when I cant even move in any direction at all for like 5 minutes..thats too much.
Oh, I HATE that d*mn tree!!! I used to work in that area and Christmas time was a nightmare! I can't tell you how many times I nearly was run over and the hours lost trying to get out of the area to get home. People would stop their cars in the middle of 5th Avenue during rush hour, and scream out the window, "It's the TREE!!!". Sheesh, you're from MONTANA! You never saw a F!($*%G tree before???

Phew. Sorry. Brings back back memories. Rant over. *slinks away*

Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM

70 posts, read 143,825 times
God, I HATE New York. Yech.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,307,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
God, I HATE New York. Yech.

As a former Western New York'er I can relate

New York City is a great place to visit but horrible place to live unless you have lots of $$$$. It's especially hard once you have a family. I'd pick Toronto over New York in terms of livibility for the middle class. You can't beat NYC though if you have a very high end career and the $$$ to buy your way out of all the hassles. For the bottom 98% of society though it can be a nightmare!

It's been 10 years since I moved from Buffalo to a first ring suburb of NYC; it was a good fight, but NYC has finally got me beat! Time to leave before I go broke and my health breaks down!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,795,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
The wait for the ferry was 1.5 hours and it was a big cluster F, which is why I usually avoid touristy activities (although we also neglected to book in advance, so our fault), but I would still recommend it to people.

The best way to handle the ferry is get the schedule in advance, and when you are in the terminal, push your way to the door and stand there. Do not try to have a seat, and do not go at any times that people might be using it for transporation rather then site seeing. Ive never tried to ride the ferry at standard rush hour times, but I imagine it would be more packed then.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,795,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
Your account, as stated, is spot-on. Most native NY'ers don't like Times Square, for most all of the reasons you stated. It's really a place for tourists to have their fun looking around and buying overpriced souvenirs, lol. Glad you enjoyed it... as you said... it truly is the best city on Earth. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Actually, Times Square surprisingly has a number of outlet type stores. Last time I was there, I was just walking along looking for the F train, and I walked smack in to a Reebok NHL outlet store that had decent priced stuff and was NYR-ccentric. Toys R Us and other national shops are there, and the prices are no different then anywhere else in the country, which is odd, because I expected an NYC or at least a Times Square premium.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:30 AM

607 posts, read 713,538 times
Like the OP and another poster, I visited NYC for the first time ever for 3 days. It was part of my internship in DC, so I couldn't stay very long. I normally live in Wisconsin.

Here are some observations, some of which Im stealing from the OP.

-Everyone expresses their individuality in their own way, and it is acceptable. Every race, every style of clothing, religious affiliation, every language spoke, every financial situation one may be in, every sexual orientation, every team-affilliation, every political alliance, every physical deformity one may have, etc etc all work on their own, yet somehow blend together, and it works. It is a very beautiful concept.

-From this, Im hoping I can develop a view point in which nothing seems foreign to me, because it is, after all, human.

-Living in DC this summer, people here told me, "If you think people in DC are stuck up, try NYC!" Turns out, I didn't have a single bad experience in my 3 days. I had some great conversations with strangers. Many people were very nice in helping me with directions if needed. I got some smiles on the street, doors held open etc. Made me feel like I was in the midwest again.

-Going off the previous point - I was walking down the street looking for the office I was supposed to go to, and I stopped and kinda looked around for it. I must have seemed pretty lost (turns out the office was 10 feet behind me, I just overshot it not paying attention) because a girl actually stopped and went out of here way to ask me if I needed help finding a place. I thought that was VERY nice and really not something she needed to do. It really made my day.

-I ran into a friend I hadn't seen since I was 5 years old in Iowa. Crazy.

-The Subway system is awesome. Its very extensive and easy to use. Didnt think it was dirty as so many told me it would be.

-Walking around was no problem. I never got lost, never needed a map, and never felt unsafe.

-Found food that wasn't overpriced.

-I like your accents.

-On the 5 hour bus ride home I talked to a fashion designer for Coach. Really down to earth girl, a joy to talk to. I'll miss her.

-Overall, a great city filled with beautiful people. I REALLY want to visit again.

I do, however, have a few questions:

-Does the pace of life every get tiring?
-Where do people go to just relax? Other Burroughs aside from Manhattan?
-Where do people live? There are so many people, sometimes I wondered, "where do these people come from? are there subdivisions with homes?"
-Living in the midwest, it is fairly conservative and kind of backwards in some ways. How is NYC?
-Does one have to be very wealthy to live well in NYC? I ask because I liked it enough that I would consider getting another job/internship in NYC, so I am just curious.
-What is the best season to visit?
-Why did I not experience any rude people? Has it changed over time? Maybe I was just lucky? Or perhaps just a bad stereotype?

Thank you for your thoughts, and your city's kind hospitality!

-Sidenote: Sometimes I can't tell if Im a city person or a country person. I love the outdoors, relaxing in the yard with some trees and lakes, and my personality is VERY laid back. On the other hand, I really enjoyed visiting NYC. I suppose to find out which I like better, I have to try living in both, right?

Last edited by Badger55; 07-25-2010 at 03:50 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 PM

607 posts, read 713,538 times
2 quick questions for you all:

a) Where can I see the statue of liberty from the mainland? (Im going to be pressed for time)

b) Do you guys suggest walking on the Brooklyn Bridge and checking out the views?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,188,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
2 quick questions for you all:

a) Where can I see the statue of liberty from the mainland? (Im going to be pressed for time)

b) Do you guys suggest walking on the Brooklyn Bridge and checking out the views?
1- I guess from battery park downtown. I would suggest taking the Staten island ferry but you said you'll be pressed for time.

2- Completely worth it. I would go when the sun goes down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City