Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:02 PM

24 posts, read 86,143 times

Advertisements

I´ve been living in New York for the past three months and as part of my studies i have explored New York City. I have been to (almost) every neigborhood in Manhattan and Brooklyn, from Brownsville and ENY to Upper East Side and Washington Heights. I have been to the Little Italy in the Bronx, South Bronx, Bronx Zoo. I have been to Astoria and Maspeth et.c et.c.
I have been to Met and MoMA, Ellis Island, museum of NYC and so on.
I have eaten pizza at Grimaldis and pastrami at katz.

I would appreciate any kind of tip I could get from you - neighborhoods, buildings, parks, houses where famous new yorkers once lived, beautiful locations and special spots, good restaurants & cheap bodegas. In other words: whatever that can make my trip complete!

and also, which people is the most important in the history of NYC? I´ve done some work about mayor lindsay and robert f. moses, and i am planning on doing something about Spike Lee and Woody Allen & also mayor bloomberg.

Appreciate any advise! ciao!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Wow - you've been so busy!

I don't know what day you're leaving, but if you're still here June 10, you could check out Queens Art Express 6.10-6.13.2010

Also, there are some threads on here where the two MTA train operators on this board have laid out some fun routes on aboveground trains.

Have you been to the Cloisters Museum?

If you're into food, this blog is a good one for exploring NYC unusual eats
Eating In Translation

And if you're into "forgotten" NY, check out Forgotten NY

Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default a pig and a horse

Woody Allen is a disgusting pig who commits incest with his step-daughter- anything honoring him is a travesty- so why bother learning more about this degenerate.

If you want to complete you trip head over to the Belmont stakes on the June 5th. This should be a fun time at a New York institution.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
check out downtown Flushing.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 AM

84 posts, read 292,915 times
I have to recommend the Transit Museum to explore the history of NYC. It's completely fascinating!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn79os View Post
I have to recommend the Transit Museum to explore the history of NYC. It's completely fascinating!
Heartily seconded! And afterward, since you won't be too far away...

There's a major repository of history at Fort Greene Park. The Martyr's Monument (which also happens to be the tallest freestanding Doric column in the world) stands above a crypt containing the remains of Americans held on a British prison ship in Wallabout Bay during the Revolution. They could have been released on condition that they laid down their arms and swore loyalty to the King. None did, and they all died.

It's actually of the same historical importance as the memorial at Gettysburg, although it gets much less attention.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 AM

24 posts, read 86,143 times
Thank you for the answers!

I visited the NY transit museum just a couple of days ago, and I did like it alot. Great museum . I´ve been trying to find the oldest subway station (el trains included) in New York but haven´t found any information about that. Somebody knows?

Henna, im leaving the 10th so the queens art express is not possible for me . Ive been up to the cloisters but I didnt go in to the museum. I will check the MTA-topics, sounds interesting!

Flushing, Queens! Almost forgot that neighborhood. I think i may go there today.

sammy, how much do you need to pay for the ticket to belmont stakes?

edit: I also have one idea about taking pictures of manhattan avenues. So if you know a beautiful intersection please tell me. Im going to take some pics around park avenue, and im already done with times square and avenues around hells kitchen.

Last edited by bisl01; 06-03-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Heartily seconded! And afterward, since you won't be too far away...

There's a major repository of history at Fort Greene Park. The Martyr's Monument (which also happens to be the tallest freestanding Doric column in the world) stands above a crypt containing the remains of Americans held on a British prison ship in Wallabout Bay during the Revolution. They could have been released on condition that they laid down their arms and swore loyalty to the King. None did, and they all died.

It's actually of the same historical importance as the memorial at Gettysburg, although it gets much less attention.
I second this suggestion....grew up in Fort Greene....always loved this monument (had several pictures of it years ago) and the park is nice too.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Have you been to the FIT Museum? Even for someone who really isnt into fashion it's pretty fun to check out. They have some cool exhibits and neat clothes to see.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:15 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Have you been to either the Bronx or Brooklyn Botanical Gardens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City