U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 AM

19 posts, read 70,218 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are searching for a Co-op, and we are considering Glen Oaks, as it appears very lovely and quite affordable. My corcerns are that there appear to be alot of rules-there was even one on cooking aromas from your apartment! The other concern was that the apartments do seem small-we also have been looking in Kew Gardens, closer to where I'm from, and the rooms are much larger and very quiet.

Can anyone give me any feedback on Glen Oaks, how difficult is it to get through the board approval, etc?

We are a young 51 and 47 year old, 3 cats, animal people who ideally hope to relocate back to my husbands home of Alabama in 2 years time or so, and want a property we can enjoy and sell with ease when we're ready. Husband is a chef, and I work as a counselor.

thanks,
Fyre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Don't know about Glen Oaks but I really wouldn't go through all the trouble and expense of buying anything if you are sure you will be moving away in 2 years.In the current real estate market it will be difficult to recover all the expenses that come with buying.If you were going to be around for 5 years or so I would say go ahead but 2 years ? Why not just rent ?

Rules about cooking aromas when hubby is a chef could spell trouble unless he does so much cooking at work that he doesn't want to cook at home.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 AM

644 posts, read 1,729,064 times
I don't know how difficult it is to get in or how hard it would be to sell. But I have lived in Glen Oaks for over 30 years and can tell you that if you do decide to move in, it is one of the best areas to be in in terms of quiet while still living in the city. While we don't have a movie theater or Barnes and Noble, a number of those are nearby. We also have an express service that runs very frequently to Manhattan and the Q46 which connects to other bus lines and the subway. Time of travel to midtown Manhattan that way is about an hour.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,535 times
You can very easily sublet at GOV. Parking can be a pain sometimes...especially on the weekends when there are events across the street at the Queens County Farm. (The Indian Pow Wow is very noisy!!). It is truly a suburban oasis...slow and quiet. (in a good way)

From GOV...it takes over 1 hour to get to Manhattan via Q46 and subway. During the week...the bus can take 35 mins to get to the subway. Subway ride is at least 30 mins (sometimes more the way the tracks have been lately).

Kew Gardens is a totally different vibe...much more city-like. Older, bigger rooms...but more $$ to buy/rent. Noisier overall than GOV...but that's city life.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 41,722 times
Glen Oaks Village is a pet friendly, people friendly community. I've been here for 10 years and found it easy to get approved by the board. They mean excessively strong cooking odors and excessive cigarette smoke. I love to smell the Indian food being cooked here. All you have to do is tell them what they want to hear. Good luck...I want to get out of here, too expensive for a retiree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City