U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 PM

8,394 posts, read 19,664,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
That actually sounds like what I am looking for. I would actually feel a lot better if there are people around. I think it may be a good idea if I go there during the day and then at night. I am mostly nervous about coming back to the place at 3 am. I don't want to have to run from the train to the apartment or get shot or stabbed on the train. lol
Actually you will have much less to worry about in The Bronx than in Cleveland.

Here is a crime stat comparison between Cleveland and The Bronx:
Murders per 100,000 people: Cleveland 24,Bronx 13
Rapes per 100,000 people : Cleveland 106.3,Bronx 20.5
Robberies per 100,000 : Cleveland 816,Bronx 317
Burglaries per 100,000 : Cleveland 1861,Bronx 279

As you can see,Cleveland is a far,far more dangerous place than The Bronx.Actually,The Bronx is safer than most major American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM

461 posts, read 1,768,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

As you can see,Cleveland is a far,far more dangerous place than The Bronx.Actually,The Bronx is safer than most major American cities.
Wow...excellent post bluedog! Can't deny those numbers! The Bronx is nowhere near as bad as it USE TO BE back in the day but this goes to show the negative stigma of the Bronx that was created back in the 70's UNFORTUNATELY still plays a huge role in an outsider's decision whether to move to the Bronx or not. Little do they know that A LOT has changed...and for the better!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 25,571,932 times
Quote:
Wow so many things to learn. I work in real estate in Cleveland but we do not have co-ops here. I am going to have to do my reasearch on them. What happens to a co-op when the tenant dies?
Co-ops grant proprietary leases to shareholders, so when they die, without another joint shareholder, nobody may occupy the apartment without consent of the co-op. If the heirs plan to keep it, they must be approved by the board, and the shares are transferred. Buildings should be able to discuss rights of tenancy in the event of death, regarding the transfer of shares, subject to a will if not passing to a spouse or other joint tenant whom is on the proprietary lease. Until the matter is settled, however, the estate must make maintenance payments, and adhere to the rules of the board. It's slightly more complicated than an immediate transfer as one has with fee-simple property, and can vary by building.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 PM

20 posts, read 54,570 times
Wow I guess the bronx being more dangerous than I thought is just a stigma. I can tell you that Cleveland has 2 sides to it. The west and the east. Divided by the Cuyahoga river with our downtown area being in the middle. The east side of the city is crime ridden and I would never go over there if not for the fact that I work at the Cleveland Clinic which is in the heart of the ghetto. I live on the west side. The west side is primarily little single family bungalows with mansions and large apartment buildings close to the lake. There are parts of the west side that have their issues but nothing like the east side. It's a whole other world over there. On my way home from work a few weeks back someone got shot in the face and killed right in rush hour traffic because some thug wanted his car. If I would have left work a minute or 2 earlier it could have been me. Very scary. Those stats do make me feel a little better tho.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 PM

20 posts, read 54,570 times
Thank you BMWGUY. You rock.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Wow I guess the bronx being more dangerous than I thought is just a stigma.......
The Bronx is definitely coasting on it's reputation of 30 years ago.

It's not just Cleveland. At this point The Bronx has a significantly lower crime rate than Philadelphia,Chicago,Dallas,St Louis,,Memphis, Baltimore, Washington, Atlanta, Kansas City,Cincinnati ,Pheonix,Dallas,Detroit and Newark to name just a few !

Old 06-05-2010, 12:20 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,223,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Na I wouldnt do this. The crime rate you should show him are the ones of his area. Lets say he's going to live on 183rd and the GC. As a result, the crime rate he's going to be sorrounded by is that of the 46th precinct (I don't see how the crime from Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Country Club etc should be used, which is what you do with the general BX crime rate)...

anyways:

46th Precinct

population (estimate): 78,353

murder rate: 17 per 100,000
rape rate: 27 per 100,000
robbery rate: 502 per 100,000
assault rate: 539 per 100,000

As you see it's not as safe as you make it out to be. Again, depending on where he chooses to live, is what stats you use.

Same with Cleveland. Only take the crime rate from his old nabe in cleveland. Not all of Cleveland is bad.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 PM

10,757 posts, read 25,571,932 times
A couple of other points to consider is that you can also find properties in similar price ranges, perhaps a bit more, but not a huge gulf in a family building in Riverdale. Some of the co-op boards are also friendly in Riverdale, so they will even allow rental, as an investment property, subject to board oversight, should you wish to rent the unit at some point in the future; or, if your heir decided that they wanted to keep the apartment, yet not live in it for a couple of years. That's pretty rare in the co-op world, since many frown upon rentals, and only allow it with a fee and for a specified period of time.

Riverdale is slightly removed from the subway in most places, but you have flexibility of Metro-North to Grand Central, express buses for the Eastside, Westside, and Lower Manhattan (M-F only on that one). Plus, if you decide to drive from Ohio, you can keep a car more easily in Riverdale.

If you look in Yonkers, you should look to see if you could find a place with a Bronxville P.O., but the downside to this area is the buildings are older, which is a good thing, but parking can be especially problematic, since you cannot park in Bronxville, not being a resident of the village. Parking for the units in Yonkers is at a premium, so if a car is in the picture, you should see if you could get a building with a dedicated spot, or controlled accesss, as there are some that do exist in that area.

There are some buildings on the Upper Grand Concourse that do have garages, but it's somewhat of a rarity, and will require an extra fee. Riverdale will have the same with respect to a garage, and each unit may not have a spot, though some buildings do have units with spaces.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Na I wouldnt do this. The crime rate you should show him are the ones of his area. Lets say he's going to live on 183rd and the GC. As a result, the crime rate he's going to be sorrounded by is that of the 46th precinct (I don't see how the crime from Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Country Club etc should be used, which is what you do with the general BX crime rate)...

anyways:

46th Precinct

population (estimate): 78,353

murder rate: 17 per 100,000
rape rate: 27 per 100,000
robbery rate: 502 per 100,000
assault rate: 539 per 100,000

As you see it's not as safe as you make it out to be. Again, depending on where he chooses to live, is what stats you use.

Same with Cleveland. Only take the crime rate from his old nabe in cleveland. Not all of Cleveland is bad.
But the Op specifically asked about a building at 205 St in the Bedford Park/Mosholu Parkway area ,not 183rd st. The difference between 183 St and Bedford Park is light night and day.I also pointed out in my post( as did another poster) that The Grand Concourse is nice above Bedford Park Blvd or above Kingsbridge Rd and not so nice below that.So why would you then pick the 183 St area (which is admittedly not great)as an example of anything?

The crime stats I posted were for the entire Bronx so they do include neighborhoods that have even lower crime rates like Riverdale,Pelham Parkway,Throg's Neck,etc.They also include neighborhoods with higher crime rates which might include the 46th pct as you mention. If anything,the Bedford Park/Mosholu Parkway area that the OP asked about is almost right in the middle of the Bronx crime scale so the statistics posted are probably very close for that specific area.The statistics of the 46th precinct are most certainly not.

It's interesting though that even the 46th precinct,which has one of the higher crime rates in The Bronx,still has a lower crime rate than Cleveland and most other major American cities.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 AM

461 posts, read 1,768,020 times
The area where the OP mentioned belongs to the 52nd pct. Check the crime stats for the 52nd to see if its close to the overall Bronx numbers. I'm very familar with that area and I can tell you first hand that it is pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or