U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM

8,394 posts, read 19,657,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
That area is very decent. Its really not too bad and as long as you mind you're business you really shouldn't have too many issues at all. I've been around there to walk my ex-girlfriend back plenty of times at 3-4AM and I never got into any trouble whatsoever. So its a nice area to be in and only about 40 minutes away from Manhattan by the 4 or D train.
I think Lital is referring to the Grand Concourse location here( since he refers to the D and 4 trains) and not the Burke Ave place.Burke /White Plains Rd is the 2 and 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:28 PM

20 posts, read 54,552 times
You are right. I would not look for the right things being an outsider and all. How would I know if the area was getting worse or better because I have no idea where it started off at. A realtor is going to tell me that everything is great.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 25,565,130 times
Street parking can be a challenge in some areas, and the car can suffer dings and vandalism, even in the best of neighborhoods. I've had issues on prime parts of Madison Avenue on the UES, but I would think twice about some of the blocks off the Concourse because it's congested; and, some blocks are better than others. If you're open to other areas of The Bronx, and Lower Westchester, you might find a good balance of parking-apartment-price-commute.

From Westchester, you could take Metro-North and be in Midtown in 30 minutes or less, though it's a tad more expensive than using the subway. Alternatively, there are bus routes in Westchester that connect with the subway, so you could commute that way as well.

In The Bronx, Riverdale, Pelham Parkway, and even Woodlawn might not be significantly more expensive, depending upon building, and I know that in Riverdale the car would be much less of an issue, both for parking, and safety, provided you avoid some of the first stair streets, or parks that border other areas of the neighborhood as they provide cover for property criminals.

Cabs are required to go to any destination in the five boroughs, by TLC law. So, yes, they would take you to the Upper Grand Concourse, though some might grumble about it. The only time they can legitimately claim that they cannot go there is if they are off duty and stop to see if they can pick up a fare headed back to the garage. The light must be illuminated on the cab, however, prior to the cabbie stopping to inquire as to your destination. A general rule of thumb is to get in the cab and tell them where you want to go, not before. And, if they claim not to know how to get there, they are required, again by TLC regulation, to carry a map of the Five Boroughs to get to any destination within them. If they refuse, that's a violation, and you can call 311 to lodge a complaint.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Thank you BMW guy. You really know your stuff. I am going to go in the fall for sure and look at some places and get some ideas and get a feel for different areas. The best thing is if we can find something that is in little rough area that will get gentrified within the next 10 years. But we would have to be really lucky for that to happen.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM

43 posts, read 75,747 times
Hi there! I grew up at on 180th street and Grand Concourse. I live in New Jersey now but my Parents and I keep the apartment. There are still pockets of buildings that are gorgeous. And some have furnished lobbies My family chose to stay for over 40 years because the Apartment had more square footage than some private homes as well as 13 foot ceilings, Not to mention the money we saved as a middle class family living on the concourse we had very few expenses growing up. Today our 3 bedroom still rents for under 700 a month and basic groceries are very inexpensive (of course for gourmet groceries we go downtown as do people in Harlem and the Heights). The express bus takes you on a quiet comfortable ride straight from your building to 5th Avenue. Living on the Concourse gave us the opportunity to live in luxury and save money for my sister and I to go to private schools, travel, remain active members of the New York Botanical Garden, Bronx Zoo, Wave Hill, BX Museum and even purchase a Vacation home in Puerto Rico as well as maintain my Fathers plantation in the Dominican Republic. In fact the only reason I live in NJ is because I was offered a wonderful career opportunity and my partner is a suburban boy who doesn’t understand living in the city… Good Luck! I hope that this growing and slowly gentrifying community will be an apartment dwellers dream for you! The nice thingabout that up on the hill living gives introduces you a tight knit friendly circle of the “concourse elite” who live very well on the boulevard…

Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Gnarles, The Areas that are gentrifying are actually on the south end of the concourse. Many of the new residents are from Manhattan and Brooklyn and keep glamorous Apartments. 800 grand Concourse and Executive Towers are prime examples as well ae a few others in the area. The two mentioned have uniformed doormen with furniture and fountains in the lobby! I have friends in both... that area has also been re landscaped with new medians filled with rose bushes, shrubs, grasses and historic wrought iron lamp posts. The Bronx Museum of the arts has also put a new wing on the grand concourse so many exciting things are happening!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Thanks Eric! Yes it has always been a dream of mine to leave something to my nieces and nephews that they can use when I am long gone. They can even use it when they go to college. I remember when I was a kid and we went to visit relatives in the Bronx. I was like 6 years old so it was like 1985-86 but I remember it so well. The Bronx was not a nice place that I can remember at that time. I remember seeing burned out cars, tons of graffiti and lots of homeless. Lot's of trash on the street too. But then 2 years ago we went back to visit and it looked completely different. I am not sure what street she lives on but I do remember there were a lot of curvy streets and green areas around. It was like the area did a 180. If it were not for my partner I would live in Manhattan right now. Also, our parents are getting older and we don't want to leave them. So because we are not rich and can not afford a home in Cleveland and a place in Manhattan we have started looking in the Bronx. I have been reading these boards for 2 weeks and just started looking at real estate online there. I have to admit that it is really hard to get a good piture of the areas because it's like half the people say it's the ghetto and trashy but the other half thinks it's great. So I am still a bit confused. LOL

Old 06-08-2010, 05:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 25,565,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
I have to admit that it is really hard to get a good piture of the areas because it's like half the people say it's the ghetto and trashy but the other half thinks it's great. So I am still a bit confused. LOL
Welcome to New York real estate, where things can be vastly different only a block or two away from a location under discussion. Parts of the GC are stable, and never really collapsed, whereas others went through decades of decay and are showing signs of recovery. In the middle, geographically, and socially, one finds areas that had social collapse, though perhaps not to the same level of devastation that are somewhere between the two worlds.

One other compromising factor when you ask someone, is whether or not the answer they give refers to the boulevard, itself, or a more nebulous definition of an area, factoring in blocks on either side of the Councourse. Some of the side streets are rougher, narrower, and not as heavily traveled as the GC proper; hence, the varying opinions as to the general safety and environment that you will encounter in the area. This is not something unique to the GC area, either, since it is a factor when discussing many neighborhoods in transition in the city.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Agreed BMW! Many Areas such as Harlem, Inwood have certain blocks that are rather rough. I grew up at Georgian Court (180th uptown side) which is the only building on that block which is not perfect but has alot more integrity than some buildings on 182nd and the Morris/Creston area which is quite rough. In fact a friend of mine lived there and always found refuge in our home and community environment where all our neighbors knew each other and considered ourselves much more genteel than some of the other blocks where a great deal people lived in squalor and filth. Even at it's worst (before the renovation in 2007) people always admired the courtyard , Lobby, textured walls and huge apartments we had...

Last edited by Eric of Grand Concourse; 06-18-2010 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 PM

386 posts, read 858,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
Hey all! I am from Cleveland but have always been in love with NYC. We travel there quite often but not much outside of Manhattan. I have some distant relatives that live in the Bronx but have no idea where they live. Recently I have been thinking about possibly buying an apartment in the NYC area that way we can go back and forth from Cleveland but do not have to pay for hotels. Also I think it would be nice to own a piece of the city. We are not rich people so Manhattan is out of the question. I did see an apartment listed at 205th and Grand Concourse in the Bronx. I am wondering if this would be a safe area for us to buy in? I want to go to Manhattan and have a good time and then be able to get back to the apartment safely. Probably late at night. If anyone can give me some info about the area I would really appreciate it.
I just moved up that way from the South Bronx. Very quiet, nice area for the most part. Do you know what building number? There are a few buildings (redbrick) that often have people just "hanging out" in front of them and are a little bit rundown in comparison to the other buildings in the area. If you want any info, you can private message me. FYI, I moved from the South Bronx but lived in that neighborhood before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or