U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM

20 posts, read 56,196 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I am from Cleveland but have always been in love with NYC. We travel there quite often but not much outside of Manhattan. I have some distant relatives that live in the Bronx but have no idea where they live. Recently I have been thinking about possibly buying an apartment in the NYC area that way we can go back and forth from Cleveland but do not have to pay for hotels. Also I think it would be nice to own a piece of the city. We are not rich people so Manhattan is out of the question. I did see an apartment listed at 205th and Grand Concourse in the Bronx. I am wondering if this would be a safe area for us to buy in? I want to go to Manhattan and have a good time and then be able to get back to the apartment safely. Probably late at night. If anyone can give me some info about the area I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM

8,475 posts, read 20,325,575 times
It's a safe and nice area,known as Bedford Park.Most of the buildings on the Concourse above Bedford Park Boulevard( 200th St) are co ops as are many of the buildings on Mosholu Parkway and on the side streets.It's sort of an undiscovered little area where you can buy nice apartments in great buildings for less than $200,000 .Lots of green space around too on Mosholu and in Van Cortlandt Park.It's quite peaceful around there and it's close to 2 subway lines.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-04-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's a safe and nice area,known as Bedford Park.Most of the buildings on the Concourse above Bedford Park Boulevard( 200th St) are co ops as are many of the buildings on Mosholu Parkway and on the side streets.Lots of green space around too on Mosholu and in Van Cortlandt Park.It's quite peaceful around there.
I agree with bluedog. That area of the Grand Concourse is really nice. You should have no problems with safty plus the D and 4 trains are within a couple of walking blocks so traveling to the city should be a piece of cake. Best part about that area is that you get more space for your money compared to Manhattan. It's very affordable yet not too far from the city. Once you hit Kingsbridge and south on the Grand Concourse is when the neighborhood and the people who reside there start to degrade. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,357,149 times
Some co-op boards will not approve the use of the apartment as a pied-a-terre, primarily because they are concerned with the potential use as a short-term rental, or loan, to other parties who are not shareholders. It's just something to consider, since the co-op form of ownership differs from a condo in many respects. It all depends upon the board, and the neighborhood. Manhatttan and even some areas in The Bronx, such as Riverdale, can be incredibly fussy, both in terms of financial and lifestyle qualification.

The neighborhood is decent, I agree, so there's not too much to worry about, other than precautions one would ordinarily exercise in NYC.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Thank you guys for all the info. Yeah I am just browsing right now. I would need to contact a realtor to find out more info about buying it as a pied-a-terre. I think it would be awesome to have a place in NY to hand down to my niece. Ia will ask this too. Besides this area, how are other places like Yonkers?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,357,149 times
It depends upon the part of Yonkers, some are great, and others have problems. Since schools would not be an issue, as you're not permanent residents, you could find a nice apartment in a good neighborhood. Co-ops can be finicky when it comes to inheritance, too, since you do not own the unit, but a proprietary lease, based upon shares owned in the building. A condo is inheritable, since you have title to Unit 5B, not just the leasehold to it. If she's on the proprietary lease, however, there would be no problems with inheriting a co-op.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Wow so many things to learn. I work in real estate in Cleveland but we do not have co-ops here. I am going to have to do my reasearch on them. What happens to a co-op when the tenant dies?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM

210 posts, read 140,396 times
the grand concourse has some really nice looking art-deco buildings, i like the layout of the area, it gets really busy during the day so if that aint ur thing u might not like it.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 PM

That actually sounds like what I am looking for. I would actually feel a lot better if there are people around. I think it may be a good idea if I go there during the day and then at night. I am mostly nervous about coming back to the place at 3 am. I don't want to have to run from the train to the apartment or get shot or stabbed on the train. lol

Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 PM

210 posts, read 140,396 times
^ u shouldnt have problems. it aint bad really, chances of something like that happening are slim.

but, the grand concourse covers a big area (like 70-80 blocks)---so drive up and down the strip and see what suits you. The northern edge by the 200's id say is definately a more 'quiet' area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or