U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,787,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
True enough. It is closer to the 2/5 train, but it's probably a 10 to 15 minute walk. As for the D train, you'd need to take a bus there as that is a 20+ minute walk and no, you don't want to be caught doing that at 1 AM. If you want an idea about the drug activity, go to the park on Tremont and Third Avenue, walk onto that ledge area on the rocks. Last time I was there it was littered with dozens of hypodermic needles. I also see plenty of junkies when I'm up that way.
Very true. I know the park you are referring too. There's also another park right off Valentine that's on a steep hill (where Tremont splits off) that has a lot of addicts & dealers as well . If the OP were walking home from the D train, he'd half to literally walk through that park and it's not very well lit from my experience. Pretty scary. If I were the OP, I would probably choose Pelham Parkway or the 6 train north of the Castle Hill stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 PM

19,314 posts, read 32,774,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Very true. I know the park you are referring too. There's also another park right off Valentine that's on a steep hill (where Tremont splits off) that has a lot of addicts & dealers as well . If the OP were walking home from the D train, he'd half to literally walk through that park and it's not very well lit from my experience. Pretty scary. If I were the OP, I would probably choose Pelham Parkway or the 6 train north of the Castle Hill stop.
there's a methadone clinic on east tremont avenue near third avenue which contributes to the high presence of junkies in the area.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,866,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
never been on that actual block, but i am not a fan of the east 180th street area....look elsewhere.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
so then the block is good? i havent seen one positive response yet. so i stand by what i say.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
so then the block is good? i havent seen one positive response yet. so i stand by what i say.
Stand by what?

You said you've never been on that block but you would look elsewhere

Does that make any kind of sense to you?

OP should take a walk around the area on a friday or saturday night.

If u like it, consider it..if u don't..well then look elsewhere

Like i've said before on here, some street smarts can take u a long way.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Stand by what?

You said you've never been on that block but you would look elsewhere

Does that make any kind of sense to you?

OP should take a walk around the area on a friday or saturday night.

If u like it, consider it..if u don't..well then look elsewhere

Like i've said before on here, some street smarts can take u a long way.
i woudlnt reccomend walking around that area day or night. the area itself is not desirable. even if the block itself happens to be an oasis, the surrounding neighborhood is terrible. the only way in and out of east tremont is the bus. train stations are far away. the OP will have to go through some real crap blocks. i cant advise anybody to live there.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 AM

Sadly, that's how it is with most of NYC

One good block here, 2 bad blocks next to it...etc etc

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Sadly, that's how it is with most of NYC

One good block here, 2 bad blocks next to it...etc etc
epsecially because the OP isnt from NYC. maybe if the OP was from NYC my repsonse would have been a little more lenient. i would live around there if i had no other options but im hood born and raised i have seen the worst of the worst so i know i wouldnt have a problem living on crotona ave. my neighborhood is pretty crappy right now but i still go to the store all hours at night and the most that happens to me is they offer to sell me weed.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 PM

20 posts, read 54,552 times
I am Puerto Rican but I grew up in a kind of upscale suburb of Cleveland. I don't mind being offered some weed while I walk on the street. That kind of stuff does not bother me. Nor does prostitution or other slightly shady activities. I just do not want to get shot at and/or stabbed. Or jumped and robbed. I have not lived in the hood myself but most of my cousins and other relatives have so I am used to being around it from being with them.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,787,385 times
The 180th strip in W. Farms is a pretty s**tty for the most part. Let's see you have Lambert Houses (blood gang central), Phipps, the low-incomes apts off 180th & Southern Blvd and that's just off the top of my head, lol...but hey at least you can walk to Bronx Zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or