U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:21 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,326,382 times

Advertisements

Some of you don't seem to get the OP's post.

The areas are supposed to be like Park Slope, but more affordable!!!

Brooklyn Heights and Fort Greene are like PS, but BH is more expensive and FG is just as expensive. So, neither qualifies.

Sunnyside and Jackson Heights are NOTHING like Park Slope. Neither is Bay Ridge, nor is Williamsburg.

To the OP, you list a number of qualities, but none which are definitive to Park Slope. Such as, historic housing, quality/education of neighbors, book stores, community involvement, low immigrant level, etc. There are FEW places which are comparable---none are cheap.

Prospect Heights, Clinton Hill, both of which are a bit cheaper. Hunters Point is the ONLY Queens neighborhood which could be comparable to Park Slope, but is equally as expensive.

Nothing in the Bronx, Riverdale is nice, but its not like PS. Perhaps, for some, Stapleton, Staten Island. At a partial level, Prospect Lefferts Garden; and an even lesser level stuyvesant Heights, but neither, as yet have a similar quality of life. Similarly, the Brownstone areas of Harlem, East Harlem, and Morningside Heights.

I believe that's it. Just the way I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 04:33 PM

10,646 posts, read 20,799,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Some of you don't seem to get the OP's post.
You are the one who didn't get her post.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,522,537 times
Hello, I'm the OP. I don't expect anything to be exactly like Park Slope. It is unique in its own way and big props to those who can afford to live there. The neighborhoods I listed have SOME of the amenities and qualities that people look for who may have initially been interested in Park Slope but couldn't handle the expense. For example, we get lot of people in Jackson Heights Historic District as does Bay Ridge. Just throwing out some suggestions in case people are looking for alternatives.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM

965 posts, read 2,110,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
Fort Greene- has a beautiful park, though smaller than Prospect Park. Many streets of beautiful brownstones as well as an influx of new condo buildings with amenities. I feel very safe walking around the area at night. DeKalb ave has a bunch of great restaurants and bars that are in the low to moderate price range. Myrtle ave has restaurants that are in the low price range but are also very good. Its a short walk/bus ride to a ton of shopping in downtown Brooklyn as well as the Atlantic center. Very dog friendly neighborhood as well, which I love. Overall I love living here. Plus its within walking distance of Park Slope.

I wanted to add- rent varies but it is possible to find great deals in the area too. I have a HUGE one bedroom on a very nice block- prewar building, rent stab with utilities included for 1295/month. And I'm 4 blocks to the park.
I second this notion, Fort Greene has all the amenities that Park Slope has except more diversity and slightly cheaper. There's Brooklyn Tech which is one of the best schools in the city, BAM cinema and cafe, better transportation options etc....Prospect heights measures up well IMO also, same thing but more diversity, and to me more diversity means better, cheaper restaurant options. But both places are becoming more expensive, albeit not as expensive as Park Slope. Clinton Hill is like an extension of Fort Greene but just a bit cheaper, Brownstones good restaurants, and not far from Fort Greene Park; I walk their very often. Bed-Stuy west of Marcy and around "Stuyvesant Heights" are way cheaper and though its not as ritzy as the aforementioned areas it is relatively safe. Alot of nice well-kept Brownstone blocks. BTW, good deal on the one bedroom, I'm extremely jealous. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City