Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 01:30 PM

109 posts, read 194,549 times

Advertisements

Popartist, do you happen to know if the credit checks are only for the head of household and spouse, or all members of the household?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 01:40 PM

1,402 posts, read 2,005,304 times
I have no idea what the credit check policy is.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:33 PM

483 posts, read 687,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
These are the general limits from off HPD's site, although it also says " In addition, each development sets its own restrictions and limitations." I know the max for a studio (1-2 people) in the last lottery was $61K but the monthly charge for those apartments is about 60% of what they charge for a 1 bed (plus limits may have been adjusted after the Census as AMI's go up) so I think the income limits for the 1 beds are very likely what is set forth below.

HPD - Apartment Seekers - Mitchell-Lama Housing
There's wiggle room in the laws, I forget where it was discussed over here, but DHCR at least has leeway. The "you may be charged a surcharge if you are over" clause, to nutshell it. It depends on who runs your development (hence the quoted language above), and whether they accept federal or state funds. In other words: You never really know what they'll accept until you try.

Plus, I think some developments give you leeway whether or not you want to report your state or federal AGI, I assume most people go with the lowest. I've also seen "take a deduction of 1,000 if you filed a New York State tax return, in addition to the federal return".

Old 05-18-2014, 02:42 PM

I know if you go over once you are already living somewhere then they will charge a surcharge, but for initial entry I am pretty sure they stick to the limits.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:26 PM

252 posts, read 604,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
These are the general limits from off HPD's site, although it also says " In addition, each development sets its own restrictions and limitations." I know the max for a studio (1-2 people) in the last lottery was $61K but the monthly charge for those apartments is about 60% of what they charge for a 1 bed (plus limits may have been adjusted after the Census as AMI's go up) so I think the income limits for the 1 beds are very likely what is set forth below.

HPD - Apartment Seekers - Mitchell-Lama Housing
I dont know what masaryk goes by then lol what their ad for the waiting list said or what the website says. Guess its just safe to say two people will be around 85-96k max income that you cant go over

Old 05-18-2014, 04:27 PM

109 posts, read 194,549 times
Well, according to the new law they will take you if you're 25% over the limit, but you will have to pay the surcharge
http://eastvillagernews.com/2013/11/...itchell-lamas/

Old 05-18-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAveExp5 View Post
Popartist, do you happen to know if the credit checks are only for the head of household and spouse, or all members of the household?
Credit check is for everyone that works. Because even though they ate not head they are still bringing income into the houshold. My building is HPD lottery as well but rental not coop and they check everyones credit. If the person moves in after the head already got the apartment then they do not check. They only need their w2s and pay stubs to be added to the lease. But if they are applying at the same time as the head they are also checked

Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Well, according to the new law they will take you if you're 25% over the limit, but you will have to pay the surcharge
New law broadens eligibility for tenants of Mitchell-Lamas | East Villager & Lower East Sider
Yes alot of places do let you go over but you get that surcharge added on

Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
New law broadens eligibility for tenants of Mitchell-Lamas | East Villager & Lower East Sider
Quote:
And 125 percent of that area median income is $75,250 for an individual, $86,000 for a family of two, $96,750 for a family of three and $107,375 for a family of four.
Which is just about what the HPD website says, so...

Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 PM

483 posts, read 687,904 times
Quote:
That's it, thanks! It makes sense I guess, there's so much new variance in the definition of "middle class" in respect of NYC, lol. Less headaches to expand the qualifying standards from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery