U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 AM

20,126 posts, read 26,407,309 times

Advertisements

Sounds like 10 years more.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM

321 posts, read 522,444 times
Sounds like it Kefir King!!
I was very disappointed to hear this news. They told me back in 2011 that it would take about three years! Boy was the wrong I also don't know how they keep track of the lottery. I never received anything back from them stating that I was on the list I just assume that they received my application and payment. I asked about the log number as I didn't understand how they work. So everyone that sent in an postcard got an application back with a log number on it. But you never got anything else stating your place on the waiting list. So lets say that 10 application were went out with log numbers 1 - 10 and only 4 applications were sent back to the management office Log numbers 5, 7, 9, 10. When you call and ask what place is the waiting list is at they would tell you that the list is at log number 3, but that application wasn't mailed in the next number up would be log number 5. This makes no sense to me. Does anyone know if this is how things are run? Also, was I soppose to get some kind of confirmation on my application.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 AM

I was on one list and my number remained the same for almost 2 years. Now THAT is disheartening.
(A friend was on the waiting list for 20 years to get into Penn South.<Mitchell Lama co-op in Chelsea.>)

Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,819 times
Just thought I'd add to this thread to give people a little more insight. My wife and I moved into Masaryk Towers last year after a 12 year, 1-bed wait. We could have moved into a studio a little earlier but this is the way it worked out. So yeah, for those on the "List", be prepared to wait around a decade at this point (And that's IF you won the chance to be on the list which is probably closed as of now.) We have a new management company that begins next month (April 2013) whom seem super professional so things will probably be done a bit quicker these days, although w/ more scrutiny and rejected applications. For those on the list you may want to reconfirm your spot after they get in office to make sure you didn't get lost in the transition. I doubt it but the way things were run up until now, anything's possible. We don't even have computers in that office yet.

It's true that Masaryk is sandwiched between a few projects but overall it's very safe here. Mostly older people and a few knuckleheads. We always joke that Masaryk residents are some of the most happy people we've ever met, probably b/c of their living situation. It's true though, great folks that live here. Always a police presence due to station right across the street (As well as our own force that are constantly roving around.) Masaryk is also in the beginning stages of a multi-million dollar face lift that will include, among other things, an enhanced gate around the perimeter of the grounds, making residents happy and just about everyone else pissed. Why? Rivington St. runs right into Masaryk grounds and becomes a passageway for the people living in Baruch. Once this gate goes up those people will have to walk around Masaryk to get home. So essentially Masaryk will become a gated community and, like it or not, will make the grounds much more pleasant and clean. Most of the trouble that arises is from people in the projects, not residents. But either way, this is the "New" Bloomberg LES and living on the LES will either entail you to be very poor (Baruch), very rich (All the new residents) or very lucky (Masaryk.) And w/ the possibility of the lo-line and SPURA, this is definitely one of the most desirable places to live in Manhattan. Oh, and NIKE just renovated our gym. Google it for pics, it's pretty sweet. And there's an olympic size pool.

Masaryk is co-op and one of the last to have super affordable equity. Overall, it may be the best Mitchel-Lama co-op left in the city. Prime real estate and a 1-bedroom cost under $10k (w/ maintenance around $800 which includes all utilities besides cable.) Penn-South in Chelsea, for example, cost about 5X for a 1bd. Our 1 BD is perfectly laid out, meaning the bedroom/bath is off on it's own while the lv and kitchen are down a hallway. This may not seem exciting but compared to your standard East Village/LES 1 bedrooms for under $2500/month, this is heaven. We also face the west which gives us breathtaking views of the city. We can sit on our couch and see the Empire State, Chrysler and WTC buildings. Don't hate, just giving you something to look forward too . And if you choose to have a child you're able to move into a 2-BD (And 3 BD...), it's just a great feeling/relief to know that's in the future. This is the ONLY way we'd be able to raise a family anyway close to NYC. Seriously, the only way w/o actually winning the lotto.

We had some of the same concerns as you but from our experience so far it's been a dream and a HUGE burden off our shoulders in terms of living expenses. When I first put down this application in the late 90's, the demand wasn't there. Fast forward and the change is startling and honestly unsettling. It's almost like everyone all at once decided to move to NYC and make it shiny or something. Masaryk feels right and reminds us everyday why we initially moved to this city. Good luck to you all.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:12 AM

You cannot go wrong with buying a Mitchell-Lama co-op in Manhattan.

It is the best deal in a town with very few deals.
(Is the waiting list still open?)

Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 AM

15 posts, read 20,764 times
Default Masaryk Towers waiting list 2Bed

Hi Everyone,

Just want to post I went to the management office and the number for the 2 bedroom is on #575 ... so its going faster but not as much as I would like to. : (
I have probably another 3 to 4 years of waiting!
Any other news?

Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Thank you for posting Belle Nichols and NewYorkNewYork99

I'm also waiting for a two bedroom I submitted my application during the last open list. I never received a confirmation so I'm not a hundred percent sure of my place although my log number was somewhere in the 1500's.

I see that there is a lot of construction on the property so perhaps that means some kind of progress.

NewYorkNewYork99 what was your log number ? Perhaps we'll be neighbors!

Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM

Update Just called the Management Office they are up to Number 580 as of today! for the 2 Bedroom Not a big move but I'm hopeful that it'll move. I'm also seeing a lot of construction in the property. Good Luck everyone

Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Has anyone called to find out what number the lists are ? Can you find out how many apartments are available

Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Smile Masayrk Towers Waiting List - Mitchell Lama

Hello fellow City-data,

Just wanted to know if anyone else is on the Masaryk Towers waiting list?
Im on the waiting list and wanted to gage how long it would take ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City