U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 02:28 PM

321 posts, read 522,656 times

Advertisements

@Bronxvet,

It's going..... I opted to do my kitchen and just that. It took longer then expected I used one of the contractors that do work in the building. It's so expensive I wanted to so my Floors and Bathroom but it's just to much. I'm still working on the blinds and air conditioner. Did you get a through the wall or one that goes out the window? I keep hearing that the apartments are always hot and that you will use the AC all year round. I thought about a ceiling fan but that would of cost me another $200 to install. I moved into a 2 bedroom. I need to stop by the office to apply for a parking space I called but I was told that I need to do it in person. Did you know that they have storage units?! I'm on the waiting list for that too. Everything is a waiting list.

Have you heard anything about the Board? Who are they? when do they meet? etc. I'm thinking of starting a Masayrk Residents Thread, What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM

19,147 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Your management office should be able to provide you with contact information for your Board of Directors.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-18-2016, 10:01 AM

19,147 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Just though I would share this - while doing some research, I happened to stumble across this. It appears as if Masaryk Towers were formerly NYCHA. They used to be called Columbia Houses. I found this by looking at NYCHA's data book; it's on their website:

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nycha/dow...df/pdb2016.pdf

Page 135.

I am not sure when the conversion to ML took place. I know of two other instances where this has happened - Franklin Plaza in East Harlem was formerly the Benjamin Franklin Houses. For those not familiar with Franklin Plaza, I can say that I have never been in an apartment there, but I have been in the lobbies, and the lobbies, as well as the exterior appearance of the buildings themselves, look exactly like your typical NYCHA development.

Picture of Franklin Plaza:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7163/6...e68018e7_b.jpg

They're the buildings with the round structures on top of them.

If you go on the Department of Buildings website and look at the Certificates of Occupancy for some of the buildings in Franklin Plaza, some of the COs say "Benjamin Franklin Houses Building 2," and etcetera.

Edit - for those not familiar with Cedar Manor in Queens, that is another ML co-op development that was formerly NYCHA. These buildings are behind Baisley Houses. Whenever I passed by these buildings, I always wondered if they were NYCHA, but when I got older I found out they were not. But these buildings are a dead ringer for a NYCHA development too.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 06-18-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-18-2016, 10:34 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Does it look like NYCHA on the inside?

Old 06-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Thanks for sharing,

It looks nothing like NYCHA in my opinion. As far as the neighborhood these have always been Masaryk Towers. I did however read that before or in the very beginning that the project was called "Columbia Houses". And then it becomes Masaryk after a donation. No it sure what value that adds. I also posted an original add from the 1960's that list the name as Masaryk.

Hope that helps

Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 AM

428 posts, read 680,087 times
Yeah, when they started building, it was supposed to be NYCHA but was instead designated for Mitchell Lama before it opened so it was never occupied as NYCHA. I have seen the inside (as well as outside) of the buildings and they don't look like NYCHA at all, unlike Franklin Plaza (which I think also started as but never was occupied as NYCHA) which did look like NYCHA (although I have not been on the inside of the buildings in years, outside will always look that way though).

Old 06-26-2016, 06:42 AM

64 posts, read 51,755 times
Hi Wanting_to_move,

On these thread March 22 2016 - jerryg2007 stated that Masaryk Towers is calling lot #45. He has #110 for one bedroom and there are 65 people above him. However, on March 25, 2016 - Inycnyc stated that Masaryk Tower is calling Lot #12 for one bedroom. Can you please clarify which one is correct?

Appreciate your clarification.

thanks,

NYDANIEL

Old 06-26-2016, 06:43 AM

64 posts, read 51,755 times
Hi Wanting_to_move,

If you want to see the link i'm taking about is on page 76.

once again, I appreciated your response and clarification.

NYDANIEL

Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 PM

Hi NYDaniel,
The number was 12 and he is 110. Jerry knows that there are 65 actual application ahead of of his. Although 1500 applications were distributed it does not mean that everyone sent their application in. Make sense ?

Old 06-27-2016, 05:29 AM

18 posts, read 28,083 times
Thanks "Wanting-To-Move" for this clarification!!!
I meant what you wrote: that although I am #110 on original list, they told me that there are about 65 people ahead of me. They were calling for #12 at that time when I have called. They are not up to #45 on the One Bedroom wait list.
It's better that anyone who is on the wait list call them for more detail updates as to where you stand on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City