Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 05:10 PM

87 posts, read 119,553 times

Advertisements

@NYDANIEL I've never taken pictures of documents with my phone, but people have sent me documents this way, and I believe if you download an app it's possible. I don't live/work near Masaryk, so I won't be heading to the office in the near future. I did, however, write to the comptroller's office and expressed concern that there are now no numbers next to our names and that the 1-bedroom list is moving much slower than the other lists. I heard back from someone in the office who said they are looking into it.

It's possible that nothing is out of order, but it can't hurt to have someone check. Others ML buildings have had their lists audited and some showed problems.

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/re...y15/072915.htm
https://therealdeal.com/2017/08/17/m...e-rules-audit/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 AM

21 posts, read 36,114 times
Many people may be dismayed about the list but there is nothing going on here that is illegal or wrong with the list. Yes i have been on multiple list including one in the Bronx where I was number 73 on the three bedroom list, when i inquired about veterans preference I was told they dont follow those rules and took over a year of involvment HPD for that location to start a veterans list. Which they then declined to use
Having been on the list and getting an apartment the list moves in funny ways because of multiple reasons the biggest are
1- people do not have money for the buy in
2- people claim veterans preference and are not veterans
3- people do not update the information for the office to contact you

I have taked to residents who have been on the list for 10+ years before getting their apartment

when my apartment came up - the person who had the apartment was evicted - yes i know when I inspected the apartment the eviction notice was still taped to the front door
about a half dozen people had looked at the apartment or were unable to be contacted
some people did not want to put the work into the apartment - it needed alot of work.
the office moves to rent the apartments quickly - because the former owner of the apartment will have the common charges deducted from their buy in money until the apartment is bought. So the former owner does not want his buy in money reduced past the one month mark because its taking a long time for people to make up their mind.

being in my mid 40's i have dealt with four different management companies on ML or rent controled properties that have lists MT is by far the most honest and direct. I was kept fully informed of all fees and costs, told how mauch time i had to submit papaerwork and responses.
MT will remain a mitchell lama complex - the board and the residents have no plans of privatizing - the residents are for the most part just lower to mid level middle class families who are just making it in the city.

Keep the office updated as far as your contact information
be prepared once they call you 9taxes, w2's, pay stubs, proof of veterans status if needed and the money)

Old 10-30-2017, 01:10 PM

82 posts, read 174,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaNow View Post
I went to the office in April and they've created all new lists. The original log numbers are gone and no one has a number. My original log number was in the mid 100s and I was told in August 2014 that after all the applications were submitted, there were 73 people ahead of me. This April, I counted 62 names ahead of me and even though the online list was at number 25 for 1-bedrooms, the woman in the office said they were at number 27. I went back to the office last month (August 2017) and there were 84 people ahead of me (22 more than in April). I have no idea why more names have appeared in front of mine (it looks like they inserted an entire new page of names). This might be a mistake, but there's no way to tell since no one has a number and I didn't see numbers on the pages either. I asked the woman and she said something about internal lists, but they're posted too and even in April, it looked like there were no names on the internal list for 1-bedrooms. As of August 2017, she said that the 1-bedroom list is still at number 27 and that only about one 1-bedroom becomes available each year. It doesn't seem promising at all.

It seems like you must live long enough before you can move in. "only about one 1-bedroom becomes available each year. It doesn't seem promising at all". I believe Buying lottery tickets has higher chances. LOL

Old 01-14-2018, 05:23 PM

99 posts, read 189,916 times
Any updates on Masaryk Towers? Anyone know what the number is up to now for 1 bedrooms? Seems like it is moving very slow.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:04 PM

6 posts, read 13,490 times
[quote=Wanting_to_move;47655966]Hello everyone one,
I know there was a question few month back about taxes.
Just to reiterate the question, do you need to do anything special with your taxes regarding home owners as a shareholder. The value of the home is so unusual and would maintenance fee be deductible? Any recommendation on an accountant who would be familiar with Mitchell Lama co op situation?

Thank you

Old 01-26-2018, 02:08 PM

6 posts, read 13,490 times
One more question.
I am up for a 3 bedroom for our family of 4. One of my children will be graduating in couple years and may move out.
Is it possible to request to move to 2 bed room internally?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-26-2018, 02:51 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
If you don't meet the requirements at the time you are called for a three bedroom, you won't even get in. So unless you meet the requirements you have no chance of even being in the building to request a transfer in the first place.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:50 PM

Default Internal list

Yes if you have a 3 bedroom and want to move into a 2 or 1 bedroom there are seperate internal lists for owners.
However you must buy the 2 bedroom completely (using your own money to buy the second apartment not your original buy in money) - then management will inventory your old apartment, make repairs, paint etc - any damage you caused to the apartment will be deducted from your original buy in money. also the monthly maintence is deducted from your buy in money while your 3 bedroom is empty / being prepared for sale. I believe they can take up to 2 months to re sell your apartment.
I do not know if they will take the entire two months but they will take at least a full month
so if your buy in is $12000 and your monthly carrying charges are 1000 - then they can take 2 months 1000 x 2 = $2000 and deduct that from your buy in money leaving you with just $10,000 of your original money.
In addition you will be billed for repairs - any fixtures needing to be replaced including sinks, tiolets cabinets
and other items like damaged doors etc.
Some things in the apartment are very cheap - light switches, very cheap internal room doors - the sinks and tiolets are a joke I have lived here a about two and a half years
I have replaced all kitchen cabinets including the sink and associated plumbing
the kitchen light has gone out (the whole light not the bulb) twice in that time each costing me about $50 to fix
the doorknob on one door has almost gone through the door because the hole was drilled to close to the edge of the door.
I expect a battle when I leave this apartment

so be preparred document everything and it would be best to have an attorney at the ready

Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 PM

Default Taxes

your property taxes are included in your monthly carrying charges
mid January the managing company will send you a letter stating how much each share paid in taxes
So a 1 bedroom is worth a number of shares
2 bedroom more
3 bedroom more (i believe its 320 or 360 shares)

you take the number they sent you lets say $3.25 and times it by the number of shares your apartment is worth
thats your property tax - it is tax deductible

Old 03-09-2018, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 32,127 times
hello everyone,

Received my keys this month after almost 8 years of waiting. I was on the 2 bedroom waiting list since 2010. The process since you get your letter to see an apartment until you get approved or not can be basically 2 months. The paper work is basic documents of you and your family. Your salary, paystubs, background check, kids school letter and birth certificates and of course your taxes. I'm happy it worked out for us but the waiting is brutal!!

The apartment is pretty basic, no stove, nor fridge and the kitchen and bathroom need work - a lot - so save your money you will need it. But everyone in the building and at the office are friendly and helpful. The outdoor space is nice and we have transportation to union square or the west side. A lot is happening in the Lower East Side, new market coming and a lot of construction.

keep your fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery