Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 07:57 PM

17 posts, read 29,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Thanks... yes, I have been living here for 14 years. Truth be told, I like Bay Ridge and I will miss some things about the neighborhood, although not the commute (especially late night). But I know that my current rental situation won't be this way forever, and I am ready to move on. Been spending some time on the LES lately, and there is a lot to like there as well, plus I will still be just as close - or closer - to most of the good stuff in Brooklyn as I am now in Bay Ridge.
I moved to BR from Manhattan because I needed to be close to elderly father and needed a car. He is gone now but I am sort of stuck here because rents where I want to live are more than double. I am hoping to get to MT around retirement time with any luck and blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM

329 posts, read 682,107 times
Sorry for your loss click. I can relate I want to stay close to my elderly mother that is one of the reasons that this apartment would be a blessing.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM

32 posts, read 56,372 times
I was at their office yesterday afternoon, 7/21. They said the list for the 1 bedroom is ready but no one has been called yet. At this point there is only 1, one bedroom available. They originally had a lot but that changed after all the moves (the people who currently live there and veterans got perferrence). Someone there told me that I may have to wait 1 - 1,1/2 years and I am under 100 in the wait list. The 1 bedroom list opens up slowly.

In the office they have the waiting list hanging on the walls for all the units and a timeline for the projects they are working on for the complex.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Thank you for posting! I know it's a bit discouraging to hear that the list moves slowly. But it'll happen. You didn't see anything for the two bedroom by any chance?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 PM

The phones are finally working !!! The 2 Bedroom list is at High 700's she didn't want to tell me the exact number :-(
If anyone finds out or is willing to call next week please post!!!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,974 times
Unhappy Very Disappointed!!

I was there too, yesterday, to check my wait list status. I was very discouraged by the looks of the complex. It just seems so old and outdated, all the buildings and courtyard as well. Pool is now closed, does not seem to be opening anytime soon. They could really use some renovations all over the place. Also, the gates were all open and Baruch residents could be seen happily strolling alongside Masaryk ones. Since I have young kids and elderly parent, this may not even be the environment I want to move into. Everyone, go check it out yourself before you settle on this one. I might be starting to look elsewhere.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
They are in the midst of a big renovation project now, including rebuilding the balconies on the buildings so the grounds aren't at their best at the moment, but landscaping improvements are also slated to be a part of the renovation - it has improved since winter though and I did see some new planting the last time I swung by a couple of weeks ago. Can't really make the buildings look less 60s though, just like any other building.

As long as people are "happily" strolling, I have no problems with that just because they live in Baruch - also there is a big security booth right there watching things. There has been some push to close the gates but there has been a lot of blowback from the neighborhood about that, and I could see some unintended effects from the resentment that might engender if it happened, so we'll see about that.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM

@ PopArtist - Well Said

@ My Own Place - You have to keep in mind that this property hasn't been touched in years. Everything is out of date and old. On the other hand you can't be the price. Have you seen what the apartments on the other side of the side of Delancey are going for over $ 500,000 for a two bedroom. I wish I could afford those but I just can't like you I have two children and an elderly mother. The way I see it for the price and location you can't ask for to much. Beggers can't be choosy! Perhaps you might want to look for locations in other boroughs maybe those property are much more update. You can withdraw your application and get most of your money back and apply somewhere else. Good luck

Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM

@My Own Place, I just saw an ad for Penn South it's a Mitchell-Lama property. You may want to take a look.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM

16 posts, read 32,127 times
Hi everyone,
Called today and the 2 bedroom waiting list is at 798 -- I may have another five years of waiting by than my kids will be teenagers! A though call for me - sad that takes so so many years when you desperately need a home for your family! The process is slow, if you are the first 100 to 200 numbers maybe 2 to 3 years but everyone else will take many many years.

I have 900 numbers to go give or take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery