U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:00 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times

Advertisements

Ditmars is decent housing...mostly mid century brick. But once off Ditmars, too many vinyl covered tar paper shacks. I am reminded of the biblical "whitened sepulchers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,585,756 times
I'm surprised Astoria and Woodside aren't more built up than they are being so close to Manhattan

And I don't mean high rise buildings, but consistent 3-6 story buildings throughout

Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Ditmars is decent housing...mostly mid century brick. But once off Ditmars, too many vinyl covered tar paper shacks. I am reminded of the biblical "whitened sepulchers."
I thought that the vinyl siding buildings are made out of brick, but were sided with vinyl at some point. That's what it looks like in Bushwick at least, I'm not sure about Astoria.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 PM

20,205 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Quote:
There never seemed to be a particular preponderance of that when I lived there. Most of it was mid century brick, and with a lot of that as twin rowhomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm surprised Astoria and Woodside aren't more built up than they are being so close to Manhattan

And I don't mean high rise buildings, but consistent 3-6 story buildings throughout
Thereís been bits of new construction that are taller. I sort of like how the two neighborhoods, plus Sunnyside are a bit less intense but still very urban. Itís an interesting contrast with LIC and Jackson Heights. For Astoria, Iím wondering if it stems from its history as a mini company town rather than as a Manhattan bedroom community.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There never seemed to be a particular preponderance of that when I lived there. Most of it was mid century brick, and with a lot of that as twin rowhomes.

Thereís been bits of new construction that are taller. I sort of like how the two neighborhoods, plus Sunnyside are a bit less intense but still very urban. Itís an interesting contrast with LIC and Jackson Heights. For Astoria, Iím wondering if it stems from its history as a mini company town rather than as a Manhattan bedroom community.
It is still very urban, you're right. But isn't Jackson Heights mostly rowhomes too (in terms of land use)?

Old 08-21-2018, 03:11 PM

20,205 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Quote:
It is still very urban, you're right. But isn't Jackson Heights mostly rowhomes too (in terms of land use)?
Itís a mix, but south of Northern Boulevard seems more large apartment buildings than rowhomes.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I thought that the vinyl siding buildings are made out of brick, but were sided with vinyl at some point. That's what it looks like in Bushwick at least, I'm not sure about Astoria.

I know there are SOME people dumb enough to cover brick with vinyl or worse, aluminum siding. But I think the main reason for the siding is to cover ugly rotting wood, or worse tarpaper shingles, possibly asbestos.

Some newer homes are made of plywood sheeting covered with vinyl. I consider these homes to be made of basically nothing.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM

82 posts, read 52,214 times
I was born and raised in Astoria-- still here too, but boy do I wanna leave. If we didn't have real estates in the area I probably would have. Moved around 3 times pivoting the Steinway/30th ave areas and looking back I can certainly say the place has turned into a $hit hole; but not in the way of crime. Because for us, crime was always there pretty much.

Apart from Woodside PJ's, Astoria PJ's and even PS 10 area, the 'crime' for me was just being jumped by kids older than me as I was growing up. I've experienced 2 break-ins (one was my aunts, and one was us), jumped or attempts of getting jumped a handful of times, and numerous confrontations as a kid/teen/young adult. I'm sure crime like this is everywhere, but I always imagined a lot of the perps involved are those who don't even live in the area.

The 'bad' for me defines, what used to be a semi suburban area with predominantly Greek and Italians, schools, parks, and small businesses, is now a mini-commercial city. I used to ride my bikes, roller blade, play street hockey as a kid, but I'd be damned to let my kids play outside today, nor would you even see this. The attraction astoria has brought is what makes it bad, atleast for me.

If you experienced Astoria in the 90s and still looking for it, your best interest is to probably move further east or, dare I say, NJ. I probably will eventually.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:40 AM

^^^^I like your screen name.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I know there are SOME people dumb enough to cover brick with vinyl or worse, aluminum siding. But I think the main reason for the siding is to cover ugly rotting wood, or worse tarpaper shingles, possibly asbestos.

Some newer homes are made of plywood sheeting covered with vinyl. I consider these homes to be made of basically nothing.
I thought those 6 family vinyl/aluminum sided buildings that I see a lot of in Bushwick are made out of brick, that would be interesting to me if they were actually made of wood. I didn't know wood structures that big were even allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City