U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM
 
203 posts, read 569,721 times
Reputation: 70

Advertisements

Quote:
its just that everyone talks about astoria being the best in queens
I don't think Astoria is the "Best in Queens" People always mention Astoria when talking about Queens because of its proximity to Manhattan and most people on this board want to be in Manhattan or very close to it. That and Astoria has some nice restaurants/bars. If you want a nice, safe and quiet neighborhood you have to go farther out east...Forest Hills, Bayside, Douglaston.

Last edited by Cyclops99; 06-07-2010 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2010, 08:06 AM
 
527 posts, read 865,237 times
Reputation: 545
To the OP: Yes I agree with you, Astoria HAS seen some better days-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: QUEENS BORN AND RAISED
127 posts, read 448,878 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
LOL! If you think Astoria is dangerous, and/or crime filled, you really shouldn't live in New York, should you?

I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in the city.

I dont care about your little 550,000 dollar condo near the beer-garden but some of us actually struggle.
everyone always talks how its beautiful and nice and safe
when its full of public housing and other things. its not dangerous at all to me but im saying it could get worse
mod cut

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 06-07-2010 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: no copyrighted photos, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
Reputation: 4168
I don't think Astoria is becoming a bad area, and there is no evidence to support that either. Can you actually provide any? Thanks for the pics, but these are the exception in Astoria, not the rule. Furthermore, they are not building more housing projects in Astoria...quite the opposite...all of the new housing is ultra luxury. So I ask, why do you REALLY believe this neighborhood is getting worse? Evidence please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
467 posts, read 1,653,851 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
LOL! If you think Astoria is dangerous, and/or crime filled, you really shouldn't live in New York, should you?

I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in the city.
Why is it that people jump to say that you shouldn't live in NYC if you are concerned with XYZ? People don't just live here because they want to, their jobs are here, they make more money here than elsewhere, there are no jobs anywhere else, maybe their families are here, etc. Just because you don't like crime and are nervous about it doesn't mean they should have to up and leave because they can't hack it. Doesn't mean the OP refuses to leave their apartment or that it affects their functionality. It's just a concern. Why is that such a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Queens THE REAL international city
2,386 posts, read 5,276,582 times
Reputation: 2802
Sorry but I rolled my eyes when I read the title of this thread. I would LOVE to be where you're at right now. Come to 241st in Wakefield (in the Bronx), then maybe you'll reconsider talking about how bad Astoria is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 PM
 
10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Reputation: 8150
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
Why is it that people jump to say that you shouldn't live in NYC if you are concerned with XYZ? People don't just live here because they want to, their jobs are here, they make more money here than elsewhere, there are no jobs anywhere else, maybe their families are here, etc. Just because you don't like crime and are nervous about it doesn't mean they should have to up and leave because they can't hack it. Doesn't mean the OP refuses to leave their apartment or that it affects their functionality. It's just a concern. Why is that such a bad thing?
Maybe in general it's kind of a silly retort, but in this case I think it was deserved. OP really isn't doing much to prove his case or convince us that his point of view has much merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
467 posts, read 1,653,851 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Sorry but I rolled my eyes when I read the title of this thread. I would LOVE to be where you're at right now. Come to 241st in Wakefield (in the Bronx), then maybe you'll reconsider talking about how bad Astoria is.
I've heard that Wakefield is a good neighborhood (for the Bronx)? I met a lot of professors at Sarah Lawrence College who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,503 posts, read 17,196,726 times
Reputation: 2043
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
I've heard that Wakefield is a good neighborhood (for the Bronx)? I met a lot of professors at Sarah Lawrence College who live there.
It has some of the worst areas in the Bronx, specifically around White Plains road. Also has dangerous housing projects. But the entire neighborhood isn't bad.

As to the OP...last time I was in Astoria around a year ago, there were some drug dealers in a park that was filled with kids. But im used to that environment...I was however suprised that there were even drug dealers there!

But it wasn't what I would call bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 PM
 
10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Reputation: 8150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
just walk around astoria blvd
need i say more?
Actually, yes, you do need to say more. Your posts are pointless! All the photos indicate is that there is public housing in Astoria and that there have been crimes in Astoria. The photos are undated.

So your point is: there is public housing in Astoria.
Terrifying!

And your other point is: there have been crimes committed in Astoria.

Astounding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top