U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 PM

880 posts, read 1,661,440 times

Advertisements

I think Astoria is one of the safest neighborhoods in Queens. You mean Ravenswood/Queensbridge area right? Because those are the bad places. But I don't think Astoria is crime filled. There are WAY much worse neighborhoods in Queens and throughout New York. If you live in Astoria, you should be lucky. It's not so bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 81,025 times
astoria is very safe neighborhood in my opinion, i lived there for a year and walked home very late at night all the time, and never felt unsafe. astoria park is beautiful, ditmars is great for stores, the only bad thing is if you dont have a care and youre far from the N W line, its a hassle to get to the train. but its a very family orientated neighborhood, safe, mostly houses. if i could afford to buy a house there, i would. but theyre are really expensive

Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 PM

13 posts, read 81,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
I dont care about your little 550,000 dollar condo near the beer-garden but some of us actually struggle.
everyone always talks how its beautiful and nice and safe
when its full of public housing and other things. its not dangerous at all to me but im saying it could get worse
mod cut
just curious.........what public housing is in astoria?

i thought the only projects were astoria projects? and not for nothing, they are kinda like in their own area since theyre down by the water, and there arent a lot of apartment buildings around them.
queensbridge and ravenswood are long island city, not astoria.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM

615 posts, read 419,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
About the drugs, you know hipsters are big time drug users. Sometimes they get their artistic inspiration from drug usage. Seriously. As for luxuary condos next to boarded up homes and people living in boxes that's nothing new, I see it in manhattan all the time. If anything I put blame on bloomie. But astoria is still nice and desireable. Don't let drugs scare you.
Not all drug users are equal, there are some drug users who can afford to take drugs, and there are others who can't and have to steal for it. Would you rather live next to a Lawyer who can support his cocaine habit, or a crack head who has to steal for his next hit? To paint all drug usuers with the same brush is absurd....

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM

750 posts, read 2,128,070 times
Astoria definitely isn't bad. I've even walked through 21st Street Ravenswood and didn't feel unsafe. Queensbridge is obviously not safe, but I consider that LIC. Projects in Astoria aren't wild like Far Rockaway or South Jamaica. Not saying nothing happens, but you don't get the same spidey senses going off like when you're in Eastern Queens. To me a bad neighborhood is one where you're nervous enough that your heart is racing. I used to feel that way when I lived in Woodhaven right by the Jamaica ave el train. I felt like I was coming home to nightmare on elm street everyday. Everything looked so rusted and spooky and hoodlums were posted up on Jamaica ave at 12 am with no one around, looking like the grim reaper. I remember walking at home at night laughing to myself, thinking I was in an 80s horror flick. No offense to anyone from Woodhaven, haha.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 PM

127 posts, read 448,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlrainbow View Post

i thought the only projects were astoria projects? and not for nothing, they are kinda like in their own area since theyre down by the water, and there arent a lot of apartment buildings around them.
actually ravenswood is astoria but not quuensbridge

Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 PM

127 posts, read 448,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlrainbow View Post

most of the problems that occur in astoria are here
drug dealing
drug use
vacant/abandoned houses
litter
graffitti
homelessness
Now is astoria a ghetto?No far from it.But is it the so-called "gem" of queens?No,far from it. Just because an area is safe does not mean its "good" if you know what i mean.If queens does have a "gem" it would be flushing or forest hills.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 AM

423 posts, read 1,102,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
most of the problems that occur in astoria are here
drug dealing
drug use
vacant/abandoned houses
litter
graffitti
homelessness
Now is astoria a ghetto?No far from it.But is it the so-called "gem" of queens?No,far from it. Just because an area is safe does not mean its "good" if you know what i mean.If queens does have a "gem" it would be flushing or forest hills.
I'm almost certain Flushing has all of those problems and probably more.

Drug dealing and drug use are gonna be EVERYWHERE. Every single neighborhood in NYC. From Flatbush and the Lower East Side to the Upper East Side and Forest Hills.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM

633 posts, read 971,655 times
It was like this back in the 80's.....

Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
one thing people have to take to in notice is that last year at this point the precent that controls astoria had 0 homicides, but according to the nypd website the 114th percent which patrols Astoria has 4 homicides as of now and thats a 300 percent increase.

now idk Astoria well and maybe these homicides are coming from specific areas but im just saying what the website says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City