U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 06:38 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Astoria does not have plenty of bad blocks. Bitter City Data hags exaggerate issues in neighborhoods, and are too foolish to realize NO ONE IS going to care and people will still continue to move to these neighborhoods.
Are those bad blocks all NYCHA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 06:58 PM

243 posts, read 163,848 times
I think Astoria has a lot of BALLS to charge 2K for a 5 floor walk up where the interior looks like it's still 1971. Sleazy realtors jacking up things that aren't worth 2K!!!! Unbelievable.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:08 PM

23,253 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are those bad blocks all NYCHA?
Or you'll find some bad blocks of poorly maintained buildings that are full of low income people. But these blocks are nowhere near Brownsville bad, and Astoria is not full of them and never has been.

Astoria was never nowhere near the city's poorest neighborhood.

And now it's gentrified. You have a lot of liars on City Data.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:28 PM

852 posts, read 810,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
I think Astoria has a lot of BALLS to charge 2K for a 5 floor walk up where the interior looks like it's still 1971. Sleazy realtors jacking up things that aren't worth 2K!!!! Unbelievable.
When did NYC neighborhoods gain a consciousness of their own and decide what to charge for rents?

Astoria, the neighborhood, has no control over what itís rents are. A landlord in Astoria can ask whatever they please in rents (if they are not rent stabilized units.) I could wake up one day and decide to charge $10k for my 1bedroom if I wanted to. However, if I did that, no-one would rent my apartment. Landlords can only charge what the market will bear. 2k for a fifth floor walk-up may seem outrageous to you, but obviously there are people willing to pay it otherwise the unit would never be rented. YOU donít get to decide what an apartment is worth, the MARKET does. If you can not afford it, then maybe you should take a look at the Bronx, where commutes are decent and rents are cheaper, rather than making a non-sensical complaint.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 PM

852 posts, read 810,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or you'll find some bad blocks of poorly maintained buildings that are full of low income people. But these blocks are nowhere near Brownsville bad, and Astoria is not full of them and never has been.

Astoria was never nowhere near the city's poorest neighborhood.

And now it's gentrified. You have a lot of liars on City Data.
Astoria did have somewhat of a gang issue back in the 80ís and early 90ís (iím Not referring to the projects.) mostly Greek youth with no prospects and nothing better to do, but compared to the real trouble neighborhoods in the city it was nothing.

Currently, however, there are no bad blocks in Astoria outside of the projects. Sure, you have the industrial area next to the Astoria houses, but show me a Industrial area in the city that doesnít look run down. West of 21st, the neighborhood isnít as gentrified, but there isnít a single bad black. Maybe a house or 2 on the entire block thatís a little run down. But thatís rapidly changing as next construction is picking up in this part of the neighborhood as well. However, even the projects arenít that bad. Theyíre probably one of the safest in the city, and definitely better than being Brownsville, Bedstuy, Bushwick, etc, in terms of crime.

I have no idea what these people are smoking when they refer to Astoria as dangerous.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:14 PM

20,116 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Astoria is terrifying! I once heard that nearly everyone that has ever lived in Astoria has died or will one day.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:21 PM

10,606 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Astoria is terrifying! I once heard that nearly everyone that has ever lived in Astoria has died or will one day.
It's everyone who has ever stepped foot in Astoria!

Old 04-10-2018, 08:23 PM

20,116 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's everyone who has ever stepped foot in Astoria!
Stop. I used to live in Astoria. I can’t handle the truth.

I don’t want to.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-10-2018 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-10-2018, 09:00 PM

7,125 posts, read 5,499,433 times
Thread is funny because almost all of Astoria is completely fine for even your grandmother to walk at any time of the day

Even 2 of the three big housing projects are very safe (Queensview and Ravenswood houses)

The only serious blight is the area around the Astoria Houses projects just south of the triboro. Still very sketchy neighborhood not particularly safe at night

Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 AM

19,138 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Thread is funny because almost all of Astoria is completely fine for even your grandmother to walk at any time of the day

Even 2 of the three big housing projects are very safe (Queensview and Ravenswood houses)

The only serious blight is the area around the Astoria Houses projects just south of the triboro. Still very sketchy neighborhood not particularly safe at night
Queensview is a private co-op complex that just happens to be across the street from Ravenswood FYI. Queensview is not NYCHA, or any other type of subsidized housing.

Cooperative Living Minutes from Manhattan Ľ Queensview, Inc.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City