U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 PM

127 posts, read 448,839 times

Advertisements

I have noticed lately that my neighborhood is having an increase in crime.Lately I see vacant/boarded up houses,hearing gunshots weekly getting more and more frequent,occasional drug-dealer etc.
just recently my nieghbors house has been boarded up.

But Today I noticed is that you have these luxury condos across the street from a lady washing her kid in a bucket of water next to a boarded up house and a drug-dealer hanging on a street corner and this was only a few blocks from astoria park.

where did we go wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
lmao funny thread. well my job at this security company is in long island city which is below astoria, by the n/w/7 lines, god damn under the train is filled with so much bums its not even funny.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
I have noticed lately that my neighborhood is having an increase in crime.Lately I see vacant/boarded up houses,hearing gunshots weekly getting more and more frequent,occasional drug-dealer etc.

But Today I noticed is that you have these luxury condos across the street from a lady washing her kid in a bucket of water next to a boarded up house and a drug-dealer hanging on a street corner and this was only a few blocks from astoria park.

where did we go wrong?
About the drugs, you know hipsters are big time drug users. Sometimes they get their artistic inspiration from drug usage. Seriously. As for luxuary condos next to boarded up homes and people living in boxes that's nothing new, I see it in manhattan all the time. If anything I put blame on bloomie. But astoria is still nice and desireable. Don't let drugs scare you.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 14,626 times
Every boroughs in NYC inhabits drug-dealers, low income families, homelessness, etc.

I lived in mostly Queens all my life (Flushing, Elmhurst,Woodside,Whitestone, College Point, Jamaica) and its the same everywhere. In my opinion, I find Astoria to be quite pleasant. I live near the Broadway station (N/W).

I would never go to Astoria Park at night only because there are alot of shady things that happen. Also I am a female and walking alone in a park at night is not a smart decision in any area.

I find Astoria, to be a great area regardless of it's flaws.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:53 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,511,458 times
Quote:

where did we go wrong?
We overbuilt, thinking that the influx of people to NYC would fill these so-called luxury buildings. When the economy went bust, no one was buying and construction came to a stand still. But the buildings are all over the place. You're bound to get squatters. I've heard about this happening all over the city.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,127,765 times
Where exactly are you hearing gunshots? There's always been drug dealers in Astoria, and every other neighborhood for that matter.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 PM

its just that everyone talks about astoria being the best in queens.
then what the worst area like?
btw people shoot i the alleys behind the homes mostly sounds like target practice

Old 06-06-2010, 07:35 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
btw people shoot i the alleys behind the homes mostly sounds like target practice
So you're saying they're just practicing more frequently? And what homes are you talking about? Have you called the police? If you haven't, then perhaps that would be a better response than complaining to a bunch of strangers online.

I am not really sure I've heard anyone say that Astoria is the "best in Queens." People do talk about good value, pleasant neighborhood very close to Manhattan, diverse with good restaurants, cafes, bars, great food shopping at little markets, etc., relatively low rents when compared to similar amenities in Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Depending on what people are looking for, this might make it "best in Queens" for them.

What is your real complaint? It sounds like you are unhappy.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 PM

its just popping sounds like 8 at a time followed by more maybe 5minutes later.
i live on 36st btw.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 PM

486 posts, read 891,210 times
Quote:
LOL! If you think Astoria is dangerous, and/or crime filled, you really shouldn't live in New York, should you?

I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City