U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 PM

1,121 posts, read 5,922,535 times

Advertisements

Why don't you call the NYCHA? The number is 718-707-7771, 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday(except holidays). Straight from the horse's mouth. I'm pretty sure they're much more reliable than asking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 AM

19 posts, read 112,317 times
I did and I was told it is closed and that there was a freeze plus that they do not do transfers ( as from albany) lol. Which is why I cannot figure out how landlords are saying they're still accepting it??? So If I go ask one of these landlords and they say yes and I go to the section 8 office to run my application theyre going to say no????? Its difficult for me travel back and forth,,, Ill call again tomorrow...

Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 AM

1,868 posts, read 2,419,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbarer View Post
I did and I was told it is closed and that there was a freeze plus that they do not do transfers ( as from albany) lol. Which is why I cannot figure out how landlords are saying they're still accepting it??? So If I go ask one of these landlords and they say yes and I go to the section 8 office to run my application theyre going to say no????? Its difficult for me travel back and forth,,, Ill call again tomorrow...
You're really beating this section 8 stuff into the ground Soulbarer. The office already told you "no transfers" but its like u want someone on this board to tell you different. If the section 8 office told you "NO", then it really doesnt matter what the landlord says does it???

The word of the day for you is Jay-Oh-Be-- "JOB"!!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,647,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbarer View Post
I did and I was told it is closed and that there was a freeze plus that they do not do transfers ( as from albany) lol..... Ill call again tomorrow...
If you had already called and were told what you were told, then why would you come on here and argue with people who were telling you the same things? This forum is useless for your purposes because the people you spoke with are the people you have to deal with and you seem reluctant to listen to or accept what people here have said anyway.

I hope you don't think you are going to get a different answer by calling a second time because that isn't likely.And I doubt they will be able to tell you why a landlord is still advertising section 8 apartments because they have no control over that and won't know.You will have to ask the person who placed the ad.

My guess is that there are a lot of landlords who probably don't even know yet that section 8 is over in NYC.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,516,861 times
Maybe the landlords don't realize. People recycle ads on Craiglist all the time. It isn't the most reliable source for information. CALL NYCHA or 311 for specifics.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 AM

461 posts, read 1,767,160 times
Even though section 8 is frozen for new tenants looking for a hand-out (oops, I mean help...silly me), section 8 tenants who already have a voucher and want to move can do so and their vouchers will be honored and transfered to their new apartment if they can find one that is willing to accept section 8 people.

My guess is that those craigslist ads are really targeted to those section 8 tenants who already have vouchers and want to move to another building to blight and ghettofy. Lol. Makes you wonder why they are looking for a new place to live since they already have an all expense paid apartment that section 8 pays for courtesy of us tax payers. Why move from one section 8 apartment to another? Can it be that just maybe they are in the process of being evicted and need to sucker in a landlord to rent to them? Hmmmmmm...

Old 08-16-2010, 08:11 AM

12 posts, read 94,296 times
Once you have a voucher, it is easier to go via a broker to search for reasonable housing. If you do not already have Section 8, you have to wait until they reopen it again. I believe the application process is now closed. go to the nyc.gov/hpd to get information and sign up for alert emails.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM

813 posts, read 672,419 times
No More ‘Slum, Slumming’ for Section 8 Recipients - Developments - WSJ

This article says section 8'ers are already renting pseudo-McMansions with a fireplace, jacuzzi and pool. Now Tyrone has more room to hide his stash.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,567,530 times
I can confirm that the above article is happening, although to what extent I don't know. A landlord in my area "lost" a section 8 tenant. Why? They were able to secure a 2,500 sf home in Virginia with the voucher!!!! The landlord was shocked....the section 8 tenant was moving into a home/neighborhood that was 1000 times better than the one they were in! All thanks to our tax dollars...yay!

Last edited by SobroGuy; 08-16-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 11:15 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,647,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
No More ‘Slum, Slumming’ for Section 8 Recipients - Developments - WSJ

This article says section 8'ers are already renting pseudo-McMansions with a fireplace, jacuzzi and pool. Now Tyrone has more room to hide his stash.
Wow,kind of funny that people are on here whining about not being able to find a dump in the lesser neighborhoods of NYC when they could take their vouchers and live in a McMansion in Pennsylvania,Virginia or Nevada or probably a lot of other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City