U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Reputation: 9029

Advertisements

Section 8 vouchers are still out there. But the money has pretty much dried out for new vouchers (Elderly friend has been "on the list" for 5 years.)

BUT landlords are eager to get in on the cash trough that still exists so they will fight over the remaining vouchered tenants like hyenas over carrion, all the while complaining about how AWFUL the people are as tenants.

So therefore, few tenants available but many landlords on Craigslist vying for what's there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM
 
2,503 posts, read 3,520,910 times
Reputation: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Section 8 vouchers are still out there. But the money has pretty much dried out for new vouchers (Elderly friend has been "on the list" for 5 years.)

BUT landlords are eager to get in on the cash trough that still exists so they will fight over the remaining vouchered tenants like hyenas over carrion, all the while complaining about how AWFUL the people are as tenants.

So therefore, few tenants available but many landlords on Craigslist vying for what's there.
And its a shame that landlords have to stoop so low as to prefer ghetto Section 8 tenants over regular middle class working folks. And then you wonder why this isn't enough "middle class" affordable housing in NY...because all the "affordable ones are being sucked by Section 8 tenant with their overpriced and inflated vouchers. How can a regular middle class person compete with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
And its a shame that landlords have to stoop so low as to prefer ghetto Section 8 tenants over regular middle class working folks.
Rest assured, when more money is involved, STOOP they WILL!

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-16-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
.....

BUT landlords are eager to get in on the cash trough that still exists so they will fight over the remaining vouchered tenants like hyenas over carrion, all the while complaining about how AWFUL the people are as tenants.

So therefore, few tenants available but many landlords on Craigslist vying for what's there.
A bit of an exaggeration, I think.

While there are SOME slumlords who eagerly go after the section 8 landlord subsidy,I think most are just the opposite and do everything possible to screen OUT section 8 applicants.I see many more ads where the 35 or 40x rule and "good credit a must" are emphasized.That's landlord code for "NO Section 8 need apply."

It's a shame that the original intent of section 8 ,to help working people,got taken over by the welfare and the landlord industries and became so twisted and perverted.Looks like it's coming to a permanent end, which is probably a good thing considering how it has degenerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,827,199 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
A bit of an exaggeration, I think.

While there are SOME slumlords who eagerly go after the section 8 landlord subsidy,I think most are just the opposite and do everything possible to screen OUT section 8 applicants.I see many more ads where the 35 or 40x rule and "good credit a must" are emphasized.That's landlord code for "NO Section 8 need apply."

It's a shame that the original intent of section 8 ,to help working people,got taken over by the welfare and the landlord industries and became so twisted and perverted.Looks like it's coming to a permanent end, which is probably a good thing considering how it has degenerated.
It is now a nightmare because of the reasons you mention but alas, I do not think it will even be reorganized, mush less come to an end.
Why do you think so ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 AM
 
2,503 posts, read 3,520,910 times
Reputation: 1906
Really hope it ends or reforms in the way the work advantage program was in that the subside was only good for 2 years. Within those 2 years you had to get your sh-- together as you would no longer get a hand-out. And thats the way it should be. Give them incentive to better themselves knowing that in 2 years your assistance is gone. Making an assistance a lifetime of help like it currently is keeps people lazy as they have no reason to improve since their rent and bills are paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
While there are SOME slumlords who eagerly go after the section 8 landlord subsidy,I think most are just the opposite and do everything possible to screen OUT section 8 applicants.
I am responding to the OP who stated that there are a great MANY landlords advertising on Craigslist for Section 8 tenants. I have no reason not to believe him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
 
10 posts, read 17,042 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Really hope it ends or reforms in the way the work advantage program was in that the subside was only good for 2 years. Within those 2 years you had to get your sh-- together as you would no longer get a hand-out. And thats the way it should be. Give them incentive to better themselves knowing that in 2 years your assistance is gone. Making an assistance a lifetime of help like it currently is keeps people lazy as they have no reason to improve since their rent and bills are paid for.
There are plenty of hardworking people on Section 8, it's designed for people with low-income jobs, not no-income jobs. I don't know what you do, but I can just about guarantee that there are people on Section 8 who work harder and for more hours than you do. It's designed to get people out of the projects, which have been shown to keep poor people poor, and also cost our government money.

Oh, and I love the idea that people who are out of work need "incentives" to get into the job market; are you unaware that we already have more people who want to work than we have jobs? How will it help us to ADD more people wanting jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,827,199 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am responding to the OP who stated that there are a great MANY landlords advertising on Craigslist for Section 8 tenants. I have no reason not to believe him/her.
Many landlords have told me that they prefer Section 8 tenants because the bill, or at least a good portion of it, is always paid and paid on time. The vast majority of Section 8 tenants never pay their portion, but this is usually nothing much. If they wreak havoc on their surroundings, what does the landlord care ? S/he bides the time out on Long Island somewhere (no offense to Long Islanders intended).

One of the biggest problems is something touched on in another thread: The fact that most landlords do not live in the buildings, or even in the neighborhoods for that matter, where they own property. They could care less about how quality-of-life degenerates for residents in view of decisions they make. You can really see this in the "gentrifying" neighborhoods, where for generations working- and middle class people, people of modest income, lived. Increasingly, such buildings are populated by Section 8 people, a percentage of whom create incredible nuisances for the other tenants. Just incredible. The increasing homeless population encourages the city to place individuals wherever possible, and the landlords receive benefits to take them. Or residential buildings are converted to ex-con residences and/or drug-rehab. People should be paying attention to these things, and take note of where the J-51s and similar are landing.

In any case, the apartments are filled until gentrification or whatever else really changes things in a given area. It is neo-warehousing, the current loopholes being exploited to the maximum.

This is where disregard and greed, sometimes called "maximization of profits," become quite anti-social and destructive. A solution would certainly be forcing landlords to live in the situations they create for others. In fact, one judge did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 12:17 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,827,199 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiner View Post
There are plenty of hardworking people on Section 8, it's designed for people with low-income jobs, not no-income jobs.
I agree. There are also deadbeats, but I think working class is more prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top