U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbarer View Post
If Section 8 is closed in NYC how is it that I can find numerous Craigs list ads for apartments here accepting Section 8? Is it fraud? Again, I am looking to return to NYC from ALbany. How is it that these apartments claim to accept Section 8 if there is no more section 8?
ok i got approved in2009 i just picked up my voucher last week in ny but there are no section 8 apts now due to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 04:20 PM

1,869 posts, read 922,353 times
Quote:
If Section 8 is closed in NYC how is it that I can find numerous Craigs list ads for apartments here accepting Section 8? Is it fraud? Again, I am looking to return to NYC from ALbany. How is it that these apartments claim to accept Section 8 if there is no more section 8?
Not a fraud.

The Section 8 applications are closed since December 2009, in NYC, that means they do not accept new applications.
But there are many people who were approved before 2009 and have valid vouchers. Those can apply for houses or apartments offered by LLs for Section 8.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Do you have a Section 8 voucher?
Then you can use your voucher that you got before December 2009 when the applications were closed.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Survivial of the fittest...every man fend for themselves and stop waiting for Uncle Sam to give you a hand out.
They should tax the super rich more, Trump will do that!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Because in the next 5 to 10 years, at least ,there will be more and more cuts to all government programs.The cuts have only begun.The feds aren't going to pay for it,the State isn't going to pay for it and NYC isn't going to pay for it.

The days of people living on government assistance are drawing to a close.It was a 50 year long experiment that didn't work and everyone knows it.Plus government is bankrupt......except for war.
If enough jobs are created the only left on welfare will be the Disabled and the Seniors.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Bluedog is right...the days of FREE lunch courtesy of the government are OVER. Little by little, handouts by the government will dry up.
Okay, what will then happen to the poor?
What is your solution?

Old 08-21-2016, 04:49 PM

2,827 posts, read 3,750,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I'm finding that NON section 8 tenants are actually discriminated against in various apartment complexes now that i'm trying to find an affordable alternative to living in this disgusting city.
Because of the way rent subsidies are calculated, section 8 will actually pay more than market in some neighborhoods. Some RS/RC rents are actually higher than market as well. This is usually in places like The Bronx, Eastern BK, even perhaps East Harlem.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:52 PM

2,827 posts, read 3,750,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Okay, what will then happen to the poor?
What is your solution?
Many would do better moving away from NYC. Low skilled workers will never be able to compete against the unending tide of immigrants. Even if housing was full stop free, many people are pretty much dooming themselves to a life of poverty by staying here (that is unless they gain an education and move up in the world).

Old 08-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I'm finding that NON section 8 tenants are actually discriminated against in various apartment complexes now that i'm trying to find an affordable alternative to living in this disgusting city.
??????? Why would anybody discriminate against you, Aquarius 37, in this "disgusting" city???????

Old 08-21-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Plus I believe Section 8 doesn't pay all the rent. The tenants are supposed to pay a third of their income towards rent and not all of them are responsible enough to do so.
Sure, the government pays 70% of the rent, directly to the LL, the section 8 tenant pays 30 %.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City