Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:16 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

Harlem resident..I think alot of the problems stem from absentee landlords who simply don't care and just want the money, because they don't live there. If they lived on site, do you think they would be accepting the riff raff they dump in there now? Nope...they would never accept them, they would maintain their buildings, and neighborhoods. Of course, this would pose immense problems for the city...where would all the "riff raff" live then?

I would not live in a building with an absentee landlord, and one of the biggest selling points to my tenants is that I live onsite, and have for generations...I know everyone in the neighborhood, and thru me they know everyone. If they have mice, I have mice..if they don't have hot water, I don't have hot water, and if there is a problem in the building, I have a problem. I am just 1 (or 2) flights down and always available....and that's the way it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Harlem resident..I think alot of the problems stem from absentee landlords who simply don't care and just want the money, because they don't live there. If they lived on site, do you think they would be accepting the riff raff they dump in there now? Nope...they would never accept them, they would maintain their buildings, and neighborhoods. Of course, this would pose immense problems for the city...where would all the "riff raff" live then?

I would not live in a building with an absentee landlord, and one of the biggest selling points to my tenants is that I live onsite, and have for generations...I know everyone in the neighborhood, and thru me they know everyone. If they have mice, I have mice..if they don't have hot water, I don't have hot water, and if there is a problem in the building, I have a problem. I am just 1 (or 2) flights down and always available....and that's the way it should be.
I agree. There is a growing idea about that, connected with a kind of "localism," I would call it. On the other hand, added to the absentee landlord is the equity portfolio bunch, often predatory. This is a growing trend in NYC.

Regarding "riff-raf," I have listened at community meetings while indignant tenant leaders (never the actual, non-riff-raf tenants in question) screamed and yelled that people should be evicted from public housing for this and that, victimizing the other people while the city does nothing ... and they were right of course - in theory. However, when I asked them, What would you like to do with them ? What do you propose ? I would get these blank looks, Huh ? I would say again, Where would you like to PUT these people ? Once they have been removed ? Nobody had an answer for that, and they usually became angry that I would pose such a question.

Yet it remains a central one.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is now a nightmare because of the reasons you mention but alas, I do not think it will even be reorganized, mush less come to an end.
Why do you think so ?
Because in the next 5 to 10 years, at least ,there will be more and more cuts to all government programs.The cuts have only begun.The feds aren't going to pay for it,the State isn't going to pay for it and NYC isn't going to pay for it.

The days of people living on government assistance are drawing to a close.It was a 50 year long experiment that didn't work and everyone knows it.Plus government is bankrupt......except for war.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Because in the next 5 to 10 years, at least ,there will be more and more cuts to all government programs.The cuts have only begun.The feds aren't going to pay for it,the State isn't going to pay for it and NYC isn't going to pay for it.

The days of people living on government assistance are drawing to a close.It was a 50 year long experiment that didn't work and everyone knows it.Plus government is bankrupt......except for war.
I personally think they will pay for it by victimizing the middle- and working class employed even more. It is almost as though the welfare class and wealthy are facing off, with everyone else being squeezed in between.

Those who work are being squeezed by those who do not, on both ends of the spectrum.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Bluedog is right...the days of FREE lunch courtesy of the government are OVER. Little by little, handouts by the government will dry up.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Bluedog is right...the days of FREE lunch courtesy of the government are OVER. Little by little, handouts by the government will dry up.

Unless of course you are a billionaire or a huge corporation. For them the handouts are increasing at an accelerating rate.
It is just handout for the needy that will dry up.
Not rocket science: that's why income disparity is getting more and more pronounced each decade.
The government is instrumental in transferring wealth from the poor to the rich.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Unless of course you are a billionaire or a huge corporation. For them the handouts are increasing at an accelerating rate.
It is just handout for the needy that will dry up.
Not rocket science: that's why income disparity is getting more and more pronounced each decade.
The government is instrumental in transferring wealth from the poor to the rich.
Survivial of the fittest...every man fend for themselves and stop waiting for Uncle Sam to give you a hand out.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Survivial of the fittest...every man fend for themselves and stop waiting for Uncle Sam to give you a hand out.
Just for clarity, would this apply to EVERY citizen and EVERY aspect of American life or just certain people in certain classes or situations...

Old 12-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Just for clarity, would this apply to EVERY citizen and EVERY aspect of American life or just certain people in certain classes or situations...
Yes Wall Street and banks included. Not a fan of Wall Street and banks. EVERYONE must be held accoutable for their actions including wall street and banks as well as ghetto people.

If you f'ed up, take your lumps, learn from it and move on but don't come looking for a bail out or a handout.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:24 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Yes Wall Street and banks included. Not a fan of Wall Street and banks. EVERYONE must be held accoutable for their actions including wall street and banks as well as ghetto people.

If you f'ed up, take your lumps, learn from it and move on but don't come looking for a bail out or a handout.
While I do agree that people should take account for their own actions, I think there is something to be said about compassion that builds a better nation especially for those who weren't born into money or the best situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City