U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 PM

531 posts, read 260,496 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree. Don't move there then. Harlem is known for its noise. You can move anywhere in the city. I feel thats extremely ignorant. Don't move somewhere and impose your will thats what makes natives hate newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,570,917 times
Jordan unfortunately you cannot speak for the residents in the community in my example. If SOME locals have been doing it, I am confident that there are more than enough "locals" that are annoyed by it but have the same mentality of "oh well can't do anything about it/don't want to rock the boat." Not sure why you believe someone would be bossing anyone around when you ask for consideration of your neighbors???? It is simply a matter of enforcing laws....and yeah..it does work that way.

I have the preference of choosing to live anywhere I want, however I do not have to live with anything above and beyond reasonable noise (for example) no matter where I choose to live. Blasting music every day from 1am -3am because "You have always been doing it and nobody has complained" is irrelevant and has nothing to do with reality. I am now complaining, and as a result you will either be considerate of me, or you will have the police knocking on your door and/or eventually get evicted. Choice is yours.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,517,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
if the locals have been blasting music since 1 am - 3 am for the past 25 years, that pretty much means the locals are use to it and have no problems, and no im not Moderator cut: Language cause i see this all the time in crown heights.

but for a newcomer to come and start bossing people around... doesnt work that way.

you have the preference of choosing a area that fits you , why leave that area to go a area with massive noise but then complain?
People need to be respectful of each other, PERIOD.

I don't agree with your statement that "locals are used to it and have no problems." You may get used to it but you don't want it. Do you really believe that the 75-year-old couple who has owned their home for 40 years wants to listen to blasting music on their block all night long?
C'mon, man ...

This is what I see ...

1. No one enforces ordinances and nothing changes;
2. Folks complain, get harrassed as a result of complaining, and are afraid;
3. After complaining and nothing changes, you feel defeated and give up;
4. New people come and complain, and you see action (e.g., running operation impact in gentrifying neighborhoods).

Makes you go hmm ...

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-08-2010 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 PM

1,868 posts, read 2,420,625 times
In all fairness to the newcomers, when looking for a place to live in NYC, they would probably told all over these boards and by others how great harlem has become. They were told how if u move into a hood, as long as u "mind ur business and keep ur wits about u", the area will be fine. Not to mention Bill Clinton has an office there, ew wee!
What many didnt realize is that most of that advice comes from long time NYers who remember when Harlem was a total Maelstrom, or it comes from a few people that moved into Harlem and havent been victimized-yet!. The reality is, the area still a hood and houses a lot of low income, low life types. The new comers have a right to expect peace and quiet, absolutely, but at the same time, they shouldnt have settled on an up and coming area and moved to an area that was already up!
Best thing those folks can do is just to keep calling the police,make plans to move in the process, and do better homework when looking for a quiet place. Probably should have never moved in to begin with.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 PM

9,833 posts, read 21,521,483 times
Harlem is a relatively big NYC neighborhood. It's made up of about 5 smaller sub-neighborhoods. I don't think it's fair to generalize the whole area as "hood."

Old 06-07-2010, 05:52 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,414,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am now complaining, and as a result you will either be considerate of me, or you will have the police knocking on your door and/or eventually get evicted. Choice is yours.
Or get shot.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,954,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
good points made by all but i really think the bottom line is people who think they may feel uncomfortable in an area should not move there, for whatever reason. if you know the neighborhood has issues with noise then why move there? and if they move without checking out the area first then that's clearly bad judgment.
I would pretty much think that a lot of these people would move if they could. Not everyone has the means. Old folks and ill folks might be near their doctors whom they see often. People may be within walking distance of family, or kid's schools.

This is, to me, not so much a matter of culture. Heck, I like some of that music. It is a matter of obeying and enforcing laws that are their to make a better place for everyone. I like opera. Classical music is nuanced and often listened to best at a higher volume. I know everyone does not like it, so I listen with headphones. I don't put speakers in my window and blast it out at others.

These things do not tend to happen in more upscale neighborhoods and people who live in the noisy places sometimes just don't have the money and opportunity to live elsewhere.

Do you know how quiet and unobtrusive the Japanese tend to be in their own homes? This is because the walls are often very thin and the population is so dense and there is a natural embarrassment in knowing that you are causing discord to your neighbor.

It's just a matter of sensitivity and consideration of others. Otherwise, we spew up a lot of ill feelings and hatred and it's totally not necessary.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,954,417 times
I read an article a long time ago about Giuliani to the effect that if we enforce these little 'quality of life' laws the big crimes would lesson. I also read that this theory of his worked.

I think a lot of crime cleaned up in the City after 911 when federal undercover agents stormed the place and gangs moved upstate and old corrupt cops were forced to retire.

But if I'm wrong, and much of the change was the police enforcing 'quality of life', then they have obviously stopped and we can expect the good old crime ridden days to return, no?

Isn't the governor on some call in radio show weekly?
If the police don't do anything, can the complaints be escalated to a higher office?
How about Bill de Blasio Public Advocate for the City of New York.
or, the ombudsman - NYFSC - Ombudsman Program

I might mention the theory that enforcing 'quality of life' laws lessons other crimes. I don't buy that, but maybe they do.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 23 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Seventh I don't accept the idea of "you know the area has issues with music therefore don't move there'. That's a really poor attitude and as a society how could we have ever moved forward if people just accepted the way things are and never tried to improve? "Hey you know that Times Square is full of prostitution and junkies, so if you go to NYC just don't go there"....I am glad that we went in and CHANGED Times Square and didn't just accept it for what it is. This is an extreme example but it proves my point.

Life doesn't just stand still, and despite the politicians' best efforts to maintain some neighborhoods in a 4 generation time warp to keep themselves in office, as a society we must move forward and change is inevitable. You don't like the noise, you can bet there are a WHOLE BUNCH of "locals" who don't like the noise either..rally them to your side and whatch the changes unfold. Don't like the thugs dealing drugs on the corner, you can bet a WHOLE BUNCH of locals don't like it either...organize and watch the thugs move on.

You have the power to impact small and large change to your community and it's okay to remake it into something that you like...you live there and have every right to do/say whatever you want, regardless of the names you will inevitably called by small minded people.
i understand that but there's a difference between trying to positively impact the community for the better as opposed to living in harlem just because you wanted a 212 area code and wound up with more than what you bargained for.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 23 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I would pretty much think that a lot of these people would move if they could. Not everyone has the means. Old folks and ill folks might be near their doctors whom they see often. People may be within walking distance of family, or kid's schools.

This is, to me, not so much a matter of culture. Heck, I like some of that music. It is a matter of obeying and enforcing laws that are their to make a better place for everyone. I like opera. Classical music is nuanced and often listened to best at a higher volume. I know everyone does not like it, so I listen with headphones. I don't put speakers in my window and blast it out at others.

These things do not tend to happen in more upscale neighborhoods and people who live in the noisy places sometimes just don't have the money and opportunity to live elsewhere.

Do you know how quiet and unobtrusive the Japanese tend to be in their own homes? This is because the walls are often very thin and the population is so dense and there is a natural embarrassment in knowing that you are causing discord to your neighbor.

It's just a matter of sensitivity and consideration of others. Otherwise, we spew up a lot of ill feelings and hatred and it's totally not necessary.
good points but the truth is if nyc was an utopia we would all be living in safe comfortable places that we can afford easily, with no nuisances. this is not the case. nothing is perfect, but why compound issues by not doing your homework before you move somewhere? thats all im saying...

for example lets say i was a big foodie and i really liked to eat out a lot...it would only make sense that i would choose a neighborhood that had a lot of restaurants instead of the neighborhood that only had fast food and chinese takeout as an option.

the thing about it is these people move to the hood because thats all they can afford but here's the famous line, "i have to be 20 minutes away from work." there are plenty of safe affordable neighborhoods while although father from manhattan, you dont have to feel like a prisoner in your house...we have the best transportation system in the world....is it that serious to live on manhattan island? so you can tell people back home my address is ny, ny? there's 4 more boroughs by the way...

ok finished with the rant.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or