U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,678,977 times

Advertisements

Looking at the date of the OP it was either a Friday or Saturday night party. Anyone who has lived in any borough that a party can be formed (and has been) within hours. There is no preplaning. This is part of city life. For those of us who grew up in NYC, we threw parties wherever there was enough room for people to stand. The police rarely broke them up unless they got real roudy. The area residents(and the police) knew it was to blow off steam. You need to get thicker skin and know how to choose your battles better. There is no reason for these people to be called thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 PM

10,606 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Looking at the date of the OP it was either a Friday or Saturday night party. Anyone who has lived in any borough that a party can be formed (and has been) within hours. There is no preplaning. This is part of city life. For those of us who grew up in NYC, we threw parties wherever there was enough room for people to stand. The police rarely broke them up unless they got real roudy. The area residents(and the police) knew it was to blow off steam. You need to get thicker skin and know how to choose your battles better. There is no reason for these people to be called thugs.
This is funny - the arrogance of youth, even if it has long since passed.

It sounds as if you are saying that all the area residents forgave all the noise they had to endure from your parties because they knew you had to "blow off steam."

How could you possibly know the residents didn't care about the noise? I can't believe you're saying this like you somehow could see inside the minds of all those people inside their apartments some of whom were surely inside praying for some peace and quiet!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I can't believe you're saying this like you somehow could see inside the minds of all those people inside their apartments some of whom were surely inside praying for some peace and quiet!
During the workweek they had it. During the weekend the kids needed something to do. When the drinking age was 18, there were more options for them. Once it went to 21 many of those options disappeared. There are areas that have numerous blocks of bars and clubs that are open, and noisy, until at least 2am. Look up above them, there are apartments up there.

Quote:
How could you possibly know the residents didn't care about the noise?
NY'rs deal with alot of noise and they get accustomed to it. You dont actually see anyone wearing earplugs walking around the city, now do you?

Again if they are not doing anything destructive, leave them alone. For some reason when people reach a certain age the forget what they did as youths.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:35 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times
Quote:
During the workweek they had it. During the weekend the kids needed something to do. When the drinking age was 18, there were more options for them. Once it went to 21 many of those options disappeared. There are areas that have numerous blocks of bars and clubs that are open, and noisy, until at least 2am. Look up above them, there are apartments up there.

NY'rs deal with alot of noise and they get accustomed to it. You dont actually see anyone wearing earplugs walking around the city, now do you?

Again if they are not doing anything destructive, leave them alone. For some reason when people reach a certain age the forget what they did as youths.
I am not very proud of this because it is stooping to their level, but there was a time when, every time the thugs were 'just blowing off some steam' I waited till the noise died down and they were getting tired and blasted opera for a full day out of my speakers in the window.

Several instances of this resulted in them quieting down.
It's like babies crying, it's not a nuisance only when it's your own.

If the police don't handle it, I would escalate to a higher authority. There are often more good people just sitting at home and gritting their teeth and feeling helpless, than there are thugs who selfishly create all that racket.

You know how, in the burbs, a bar owner can be held responsible if he feeds a person too many drinks and that guy drives home later? Well any place where the noise gets so out of hand should be fined as well. If they can't control their crowds perhaps they should not be catering to them.

Weren't there cases of people recording the noise and then taking others to small claims court?

If neighbors are fearful of doing that, than the perpetrators are thugs.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:31 AM

You're acting like this is something new. I can remember as far back as the 70's that these parties just happened. Don't worry you get your revenge. Many of us grow up and have children doing the same thing. Some people get amnesia and some let the parties happen. As long as the parties dont get out of hand then let it be. Turn on the AC, take a Xanax and go to sleep. Looking at people in my age group I see the selective memory.

But hey I didn't move out of NYC because of noise. I, with those people u call thugs, followed the ripple effect and moved to bigger and better things. My biggest nightly noise is the million cricket sing along. Througout the entire summer they have their parties. Then we also have the million frog sing along, every night they go off in their sing along. And if I stay up late enough I can hear the train pass through town (7 miles away). And what do I do. Turn on the AC, take a Xany and go to sleep.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:10 PM

194 posts, read 421,453 times
In case some of you missed parts of my first post, these thugs that I'm talking about haven't, nor aren't ever going to move on to "bigger and better things". They're the local drop outs and drug dealers, not just a group of teens who decide to have an impromptu get-together. They don't do this to "blow off steam" either, but out of arrogance and lack of consideration. Why would they need to blow off steam if they don't want to do nothing with their lives?

Regardless, this issue used to be much worse, and I'm glad that they've become less commonplace, either because they've grown older and more placid or because of the increased police prescence.

I hope, if I ever have kids that they DON'T do this, because IMO nothing good ever comes from "chillin' on the block". The ones who've moved on to biggger and better things, they may have chilled for awhile but eventually they stopped, and left (like myself). They are in the minority. The majority.........still "chillin' on the block" doing nothing.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 PM

10,606 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
You're acting like this is something new. I can remember as far back as the 70's that these parties just happened. Don't worry you get your revenge. Many of us grow up and have children doing the same thing. Some people get amnesia and some let the parties happen. As long as the parties dont get out of hand then let it be. Turn on the AC, take a Xanax and go to sleep. Looking at people in my age group I see the selective memory.

But hey I didn't move out of NYC because of noise. I, with those people u call thugs, followed the ripple effect and moved to bigger and better things. My biggest nightly noise is the million cricket sing along. Througout the entire summer they have their parties. Then we also have the million frog sing along, every night they go off in their sing along. And if I stay up late enough I can hear the train pass through town (7 miles away). And what do I do. Turn on the AC, take a Xany and go to sleep.
Neil, it's fine for you to give advice like, "let it be." That's your opinion about how people should react, and that's fine. What I do have a problem with, though, is your somehow thinking that because the police didn't shut down every party you had or complain to you directly or throw rotten eggs out their window -- or whatever sign you would have needed that you were bothering people-- that somehow this was an indication that everyone was simply totally ok with the noise disturbance you were creating.

It's also amazing that you say that because people are not walking around with earplugs in their ears that this is an indication that they are not bothered by noise.

Again, how is this proof, and how can you possibly know? You certainly make lots of assumptions.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
In case some of you missed parts of my first post, these thugs that I'm talking about haven't, nor aren't ever going to move on to "bigger and better things". They're the local drop outs and drug dealers, not just a group of teens who decide to have an impromptu get-together. They don't do this to "blow off steam" either, but out of arrogance and lack of consideration. Why would they need to blow off steam if they don't want to do nothing with their lives?
Is there no one from your own past that grew up differently then you would have thought they would?

And some of them will never see 30. But I guarantee there are some in that group of thugs as you call them just need a role model or a direction to be hand held into. I'm looking at this from the inside.

Quote:
the arrogance of youth
No its that you are just naive. This is not advice, this is reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or