Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 PM

213 posts, read 506,844 times

Advertisements

Just curious, for those who've recently moved to NYC, or have moved to predominantly minority neighborhoods, has this occured with you or someone you know?

I'm a lifelong Harlem resident, but overheard something last night that kind of bothered me. The local "thugs" on the block decided to make an impromptu "party" last night that lasted well into the overnight. Screaming and hollering, loud music, the usual. While this used to be a bigger QoL problem up until a few years ago (increased police prescence?), it's still obnoxious whenever it happens, and as many of you may know calls to 311 and/or the police are futile (I feel for those a bit north of me in Washington Heights & Inwood, the "noise" capital of the city).

Back to the story, some new residents were yelling at the group to kill the noise, or else they will call the police. I assumed them to be new, as the local folk rarely if ever stand up to the thugs, either because they're used to their act, spoil their behavior or are intimidated by them. The thugs pretty much cussed them out, and told them that if they call (or if they come, didn't hear clearly) that they'll pull a revolver on the new folk. They also turned up their music in spite of the complaints.

Pretty disrespectful of these lowlives, whom I already look down upon. Day in, day out, year in, year out, same old routine of dealing, loitering, jail, parole and everything inbetween. It's been said that new residents should try to tolerate the stuff in their new surroundings, as the "old" residents were here first, but just how far does that reasoning go? Even I as a lifelong resident can't stand it.

Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,334,072 times
i believe

that the people living in minority areas should have respect for the newcomers, but at the same time i hate newcomers who come to new areas and decide their boss, and what they say goes.

not happening. those new comers should of have an idea that Harlem might be noisy with music playing to begin with.

honestly if a neighborhood has something that bugs me i am not moving their.

did the new comers really think Harlem was going to be quite with crickets

Old 06-06-2010, 02:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,934,308 times
I know what you mean sometimes old timers don't have respect for new commers intil the new comers assmilate to cultureal norms of the community. I live in mott haven section part of the bronx and the other day I over heard a group of puerto ricans talking about the current change in the nieborhood which they did not take too kindly. South of 138 street to many hipsters 138th and up to many mexicans and dominicans. They were like what happen to all the puerto ricans around here.

I smell a turf war brewing

Old 06-06-2010, 02:10 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,334,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know what you mean sometimes old timers don't have respect for new commers intil the new comers assmilate to cultureal norms of the community. I live in mott haven section part of the bronx and the other day I over heard a group of puerto ricans talking about the current change in the nieborhood which they did not take too kindly. South of 138 street to many hipsters 138th and up to many mexicans and dominicans. They were like what happen to all the puerto ricans around here.

I smell a turf war brewing
lmao hipsters in the bronx? thats funny never seen that yet to date.

but you are very right about dominicans and mexicans, a lot of puerto ricans do not take their presence so nicely.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:03 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,973,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post

I agree with this.I find people who move into ghetto neighborhoods like these and then complain annoying.You check out a neighborhood thoroughly,day and night and if you see or hear something you don't like such as too much graffiti or constant block parties and hanging out,drug dealing,etc you just don't move there.
Why would you move there ?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:32 AM

66 posts, read 284,323 times
Quote:
lmao hipsters in the bronx? thats funny never seen that yet to date.

but you are very right about dominicans and mexicans, a lot of puerto ricans do not take their presence so nicely.
My dear, where have you been? Wake up and smell the Starbucks! (lol)

The area around Bruckner Blvd/Bruckner Expressway is becoming tragically hip. There's some cafes and bars around there, and the area also sports some antique stores and such. Some loft bldgs since of course all the spots in NYC by the rivers used to be industrial ports.

Look up the Bruckner Bar and Grill as one example--a bar/restaurant *** art gallery. In fact, City Island alone has 3 or 4 galleries, and then there's the Bronx Museum of the arts (recently renovated), Lehman College Gallery, Hostos CC Gallery, El Foco, etc.

And there are areas like Kingsbridge, Riverdale, Country Club, City Island, et al that have been solidly middle class/gentrified all along.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,553,191 times
Quote:
i believe

that the people living in minority areas should have respect for the newcomers, but at the same time i hate newcomers who come to new areas and decide their boss, and what they say goes.

not happening. those new comers should of have an idea that Harlem might be noisy with music playing to begin with.

Yep, I have to agree with this. Moving into a neighborhood that doesn't fit with your criteria is one of the dumbest things to do, I could care less if it's in/close to Manhattan. They made the choice to live in it, now they gotta live with it.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,333,205 times
There's a long thread running about this. Check out http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-stuy-now.html

Newcomers are moving to these neighborhoods because they so desperately want to be in NYC that they will allow their dreams to rule over good sense regarding safety and quality of life issues. The fact that people will move here virtually sight unseen is puzzling to me. Before I moved into my current neighborhood I checked out several others and one-by-one they came off my list for various reasons -- mainly noise and safety.
There are many fine neighborhoods all around the city that are desirable and do not cost a fortune. Everyone is so convinced that they must live in a "hip and trendy" neighborhood to experience NYC. This just isn't true. Is it so horrible to travel 45 minutes to your hangout spots? I did it for years when I lived way out in SEQueens. Growing in my career and building up my finances enabled me to move closer in. Maybe the newcomers should consider doing the same thing.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,903,914 times
I disagree. I believe that we have a right to expect some minimal standard of living when we move into an area. That includes enforcement of noise ordinances. They are there for a reason.
There are probably many in such neighborhoods, a working single mom with kids who need their sleep maybe, or some elderly or ill person, who would give much to keep peace and quiet in the neighborhood at night.
The only reason why the noise makers get away with it is that they are thought of, and may very well be, low life thugs. People fear brutes, which gives them some small pleasure because in most of their lives they are probably failures.

Either we treat each other like civilized humans or we revert back to the status of beasts. This, to me, is not that the noise makers are part of a community. It is more that they lack a true sense of community and only think of themselves with a disregard and lack of respect for the needs of others.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,333,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I disagree. I believe that we have a right to expect some minimal standard of living when we move into an area. That includes enforcement of noise ordinances. They are there for a reason.
There are probably many in such neighborhoods, a working single mom with kids who need their sleep maybe, or some elderly or ill person, who would give much to keep peace and quiet in the neighborhood at night.
The only reason why the noise makers get away with it is that they are thought of, and may very well be, low life thugs. People fear brutes, which gives them some small pleasure because in most of their lives they are probably failures.

Either we treat each other like civilized humans or we revert back to the status of beasts. This, to me, is not that the noise makers are part of a community. It is more that they lack a true sense of community and only think of themselves with a disregard and lack of respect for the needs of others.
Hey, I agree with you but the bottom line becomes, who is responsible for the enforcement of ordinances? The citizenry doesn't want to tackle it and shouldn't have to, and it seems that the authorities do not either. What's the solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City