U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM

747 posts, read 2,214,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Which is why I said MOST.
Why would you even say "MOST"? Anyone from the 50s well into the 100s on either side is within walking distance to CP. At the lower end there is Battery Park and a bunch of smaller ones. At the upper end there is Fort Tryon, The Cloisters, Inwood Park, etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM

38 posts, read 90,748 times
You could get a very roomy apartment in Forest Hills. It has good shopping and good transportation. I don't care much for the restaurants, but one stop on the subway gets you to probably the most diverse ethnic food scene in the world.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,236,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Why would you even say "MOST"? Anyone from the 50s well into the 100s on either side is within walking distance to CP. At the lower end there is Battery Park and a bunch of smaller ones. At the upper end there is Fort Tryon, The Cloisters, Inwood Park, etc etc
And some of those areas have already been recommended to her. As a former Southerner, most of Manhattan does not appeal to me, not solely due to the presence or lack of parks. Because the OP is also from the South and has mentioned not liking the dearth of trees or pollution, I assume that, like me, she is looking for an environment a little closer to home. The topography, vibe, and the amount of space she can get for her money will be closer to what she is used to in the outer boroughs than in Manhattan.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,973 times
Thank you everyone! I am going to start looking for apartments in the outer boroughs.

Queensgal - you mentioned that one stop on the subway gets you to the most diverse ethinic food scene.... What is that area called?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 PM

880 posts, read 1,666,726 times
I definitely recommend Forest Hills in Queens. Even if you rent like an apartment, it'll come to a little over $1K. That neighborhood is really nice. There has been little to less crime rates in the last 10 years, diverse and has a lot of good restaurants there and shops, you'll feel like you're in the suburbs or somewhere upstate.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 AM

21,199 posts, read 20,162,182 times
Isn't Forest Hills going to be a bit of a commute to the Financial District? Just wondering. I would think Brooklyn would be more convenient.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 AM

10,757 posts, read 25,589,633 times
Forest Hills is also not that inexpensive, a little over $1k will not get an average apartment in the area. It might get a smaller studio, but a 1BR will be closer to the $1400-$1500 range, depending upon building and amenities.

I agree with Dewdrop93, that Brooklyn will be closer to the OP's office. Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and other areas just over the bridge should be considered. They may have smaller neighborhood parks, but you have a distinctly old NY feel with the smaller scale of much of the area. And, the Esplanade with views of the river and Manhattan is a very special neighborhood attribute. There are trees in Brooklyn, too, so it's definitely worth considering, to keep the commute to a minimum.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 AM

38 posts, read 90,748 times
I was talking about Jackson Heights.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,852 times
Haha. The self-same people lamenting gentrification on other threads are dispensing real-estate advice to affluent invaders from abroad.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:15 AM

10,648 posts, read 20,806,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianBonilla View Post
Haha. The self-same people lamenting gentrification on other threads are dispensing real-estate advice to affluent invaders from abroad.
This is a thread about someone looking for a place to live. If anything's funny, it's you dredging up old threads (that are not about the subject of gentrification) to throw in the gentrification word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City