U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,967 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC in July for a job in the WFC. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should move? I am looking for a smaller diverse neighborhood that has parks, not a lot of crime, and restaurants. I am looking to pay around $2200/month or less. I am single and I am looking for a 30 min or less commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:30 PM

91 posts, read 269,469 times
Maybe you should check out the Inwood Section of Manhattan, which is the northern tip of the borough. Affordable rents as compared to other parts of Manhattan, near lots of parks and restaurants.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:08 PM

8 posts, read 16,805 times
Default Nice Area?

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM

769 posts, read 1,781,191 times
Have you considered the financial district since you are going to be working there? $2200 a month can probably get you a small 1 bedroom or a large studio in a doorman building with lots of amenities in that area. Several buildings in the area have lots of empty units so they are giving incentives to move in and have lowered the rents. There aren't tons of parks all around, but it's not as crowded as other areas. And just about all the subway lines go there. Crime rates also seem low there.

If you insist on being close to parks, consider the Upper West Side. $2200 can get a studio in between Riverside and Central parks. Probably not going to be in a super luxurious building though like FiDi. And UWS will put you at a 30 minute commute, at least.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 PM

127 posts, read 449,512 times
who wants to live in a studio? live in the outer boroughs.
try queens or brooklyn.
btw your tolerance of crime matters. dont expect suburban safety.
also all the areas have some diversity of some kind.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 AM

10,757 posts, read 25,584,309 times
You should be able to find a decent 1BR in Brooklyn, just across the bridge. Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and Carroll Gardens offer proximity to Lower Manhattan, without sacrificing a neighborhood feel.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-07-2010, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,967 times
Thank you. I also heard that Forte Greene was a nice area. I will be moving from the South and am struggling with the lack of trees and pollution in NYC.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuStart412 View Post
Thank you. I also heard that Forte Greene was a nice area. I will be moving from the South and am struggling with the lack of trees and pollution in NYC.
Then you'll want to move to Brooklyn. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't want to live in most of Manhattan because of the lack of trees and greenery that I've grown used to being from Texas.

Fort Greene is great. I'd move there in a heartbeat. It offers a nice balance, urban but with some tree-lined streets and Fort Greene Park in the neighborhood.

You might also consider neighborhoods near Prospect Park.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 AM

747 posts, read 2,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Then you'll want to move to Brooklyn. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't want to live in most of Manhattan because of the lack of trees and greenery that I've grown used to being from Texas.
This kind of broad generalization does no one any favors. The UWS, for instance, is closer to greenery than many parts of Brooklyn - on both the CP and Riverside sides.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
This kind of broad generalization does no one any favors. The UWS, for instance, is closer to greenery than many parts of Brooklyn - on both the CP and Riverside sides.
Which is why I said MOST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City