U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM

750 posts, read 2,129,451 times

Advertisements

In Manhattan, walking slowly or stopping in the middle of the sidewalk unless its an emergency is unacceptable. You have to treat the sidewalks with the same rules of the road or you will get run over. While it's not Mumbai or Tokyo, New York during the rush hours or in the tourist areas can get pretty hectic. However, I'm glad we don't have to contend with the day to day pace of Tokyo. Our society is nowhere near as deferential or organized and if we had 40 million people in Greater NY like they do in Tokyo, instead of just 20 million, NY would just be unmanageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:13 AM

218 posts, read 659,531 times
The pace is very fast in Midtown and the financial district. Like the above poster said... if you're walking slow, or stopping to dilly-dally, nobody is going to stop for you... you will get run over. It is considered rude to stop in the middle of a sidewalk or walk very slowly (unless of course you're obviously disabled). You should be able to walk with the flow of foot traffic. I myself have always been a very fast walker, so it doesn't bother me in the least. You will quickly learn how to find small openings in groups of people, and weave and navigate your way through them.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM

411 posts, read 1,030,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I believe if you read the second paragraph of my post i answered your question
Oh I know, I wasnt refering to you.

Does anyone have any videos of people walking fast by any chance??

Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM

142 posts, read 360,845 times
Certain areas are faster than others. I must say that while NYers move fast I doubt that they have anywhere THAT important to go. I take my time, screw that.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:18 PM

149 posts, read 307,639 times
it is fast here, hurry to get to work, hurry to get home, hurry to shop, hurry to everything.
That is why I love FLORIDA, SLOW...

Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 PM

10,616 posts, read 20,750,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Florida2 View Post
it is fast here, hurry to get to work, hurry to get home, hurry to shop, hurry to everything.
That is why I love FLORIDA, SLOW...
I think everyone has to move slowly in Florida or they will overheat.
To each his own.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,412,367 times
Yea it is but it never bothered me, if I'm walking too slow (mainly because of my weight) then pass. Not too fast paced to handle though. IMO NYC's pace seems to be perfect for me, if only I can get out of D.C. fast enough.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:06 PM

960 posts, read 1,961,165 times
New Yorkers are rushing to get to work and get home. The rush hours are when the pace is most frenetic. Also, keep in mind that this is a walking city. Everybody walks and you will quickly fall in step. It is not as bad as some say--No one walks over you if your pace is a bit slower. They just leave you behind. However, it is a true 24 hour city with plenty of foot traffic around the clock in the more popular areas.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 AM

19 posts, read 40,681 times
There is honking everywhere...you must be kidding me.....people lay on their horns day and night in nyc.....get real!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,225,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHENOM5 View Post
There is honking everywhere...you must be kidding me.....people lay on their horns day and night in nyc.....get real!
Yeah... Boston's WAY worse, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City