U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 PM

12 posts, read 39,529 times

Advertisements

a friend and I are coming in from out of town on the amtrak Cardinal and are planning to head out to Far Rockaway on the LIRR and ride inbound on the A train.

I'm 16, he's 17. we're both extremely street smart, but we're from chicago. he's 6'3. and we're not exactly easy to mess with.

We'd be getting into Far rockaway at 6:09 am on a monday morning. We want to walk to the beach, then get on the A train an hour or so later and head back to manhattan.

with our background in mind, is this a safe thing to do? we don't mind a moderately rough area, but we don't want to be in grave danger.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the A train will not be dangerous during the morning rush hour?

riding the LIRR and the A would be a highlight of our trip. it's something that i've wanted to do for a long time. so that's what brings me out there to begin with.

your comments are greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,410,669 times
I've been through the Rockaways a few times, mostly at night, when its more dangerous. But you shouldn't have any problems though, especially at that time of morning. Just don't look scared and you'll be fine.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 PM

544 posts, read 1,313,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe75 View Post
he's 6'3. and we're not exactly easy to mess with.
That is if you are not a midget

Old 06-06-2010, 11:38 PM

12 posts, read 39,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
That is if you are not a midget
Hahaha, you caught me. Kidding, of course, I'm of slightly below average height.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe75 View Post
a friend and I are coming in from out of town on the amtrak Cardinal and are planning to head out to Far Rockaway on the LIRR and ride inbound on the A train.

I'm 16, he's 17. we're both extremely street smart, but we're from chicago. he's 6'3. and we're not exactly easy to mess with.

We'd be getting into Far rockaway at 6:09 am on a monday morning. We want to walk to the beach, then get on the A train an hour or so later and head back to manhattan.

with our background in mind, is this a safe thing to do? we don't mind a moderately rough area, but we don't want to be in grave danger.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the A train will not be dangerous during the morning rush hour?

riding the LIRR and the A would be a highlight of our trip. it's something that i've wanted to do for a long time. so that's what brings me out there to begin with.

your comments are greatly appreciated.
a lot of crimes happen in the a train , and even under it , since the a train runs in a lot of dangerous, and abandoned sections of the rockaways , since you coming at 6 am , i guess your good, but if it were just a few hours early id say you would be in grave danger.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 AM

19,136 posts, read 32,681,385 times
if you can, it would actually be better to not take the LIRR at all. you might as well take the A train both ways because the LIRR Far Rockaway train station is pretty far from the beach, its at least a 20 minute walk. Also, the area surrounding the LIRR station is not a good part of far rockaway at all. its very deserted, and although it would be during the early morning rush hour, its still not a good place to be at. the A train will be much safer, and by far a more scenic ride.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 PM

880 posts, read 1,661,859 times
It shouldn't be so bad since it is about to be rush hour, but don't recommend it. I suggest you take a bus there instead. It's so much better and safer.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,450,056 times
its not really a nice area at all...

but out of curiosity, what time are you going to go back? like when you have to go back home?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:44 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,658,054 times
I don't get it... .you're coming in from Chicago on the Amtrak. You're going to ride the train (A or LIRR) to FR, hang out for an hour, and then head back to Penn Station?? At 6am??? Weird. Very weird.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Maybe they're train buffs. Sounds like a cool idea for a trip, though I have no idea about the safety of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or