Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 06:15 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

Columbia St & Seabring St, Brooklyn, NY
Is it South Brooklyn, Carroll Gardens, Red Hook??? It's right near the entrance of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I was there yesterday and it was nice, by the waterfront, with little shops and restaurants, families riding bikes, a nice townhouse development. Far from subway but I saw the B61, B71 and B77 buses. A large industrial area and the Red Hook houses were close by, but it was eerily quiet there. NO ONE was hanging out on a hot Sunday afternoon -- just some people having a BBQ in an adjacent park. IKEA and Fairway were on the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:28 AM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times
Red Hook.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 AM

Hmm, that's what I thought but it was nothing like the Red Hook I remember. It's changed a lot, which goes to show you that there is potential in the least likely places. Anyone have thoughts on this area?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times
Queensgirl I lived in Brooklyn all my life and Redhook was really scary to go to back in the days. I went bike riding a couple of weeks ago and didn't even recognize the place. Yes I felt like I was in the twilight zone or something. They now have a bike route on the water front which is amazing. They have nice shops, bakeries and restaurants just blocks aways from Red Hook Projects? The Fairway Market was impressive to say the least. This will be the next Williamsburg if it isn't already.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 06-07-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times
Ha.Funny you ask.I have a friend living in Red Hook who swore it was on a rebound.I hadn't seen him in awhile so when we reconnected he invited me to come down and stay a couple of nights.I found it totally different than what I remember in the late 80s /early 90s.Whenever I have posted information regarding this up and coming area in Brooklyn my comments have basically been laughed at.Fairway Market,Ikea,lots of bars with great history and a lot of new and exciting restaurants.Unfortunately I don't remember the name but I had one of the best authentic Mexican food I have ever had in Red Hook on that trip.I have also mentioned on this board that my friend who operates a dog walking/boarding business has one client that is a former Academy Award nominee for best supporting actor as well as an Emmy and Golden Globe Award Winner for best actor in a certain historical cable tv miniseries.Another client is an actress who has been on a long running TV series that takes place in NY.I do not think these people would be living here without good advice from their real estate "people" just my opinion.Take a walk from lets say Columbia and Commerce down Columbia to the water and catch the vibe.I think you will see that Red Hook is changing for the better.I felt safe walking in that specific area late at night,even with those "oh so scary projects".I think the only negative may be poor public transportation,particularly subway but maybe that is a good thing??

Last edited by nyctovt; 06-07-2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling errors.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Columbia St & Seabring St, Brooklyn, NY
Is it South Brooklyn, Carroll Gardens, Red Hook??? It's right near the entrance of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I was there yesterday and it was nice, by the waterfront, with little shops and restaurants, families riding bikes, a nice townhouse development. Far from subway but I saw the B61, B71 and B77 buses. A large industrial area and the Red Hook houses were close by, but it was eerily quiet there. NO ONE was hanging out on a hot Sunday afternoon -- just some people having a BBQ in an adjacent park. IKEA and Fairway were on the water.
Red Hook and it is very up and coming....we were going to buy there two years back because I have an Aunt that lives in that neighborhood and this little run down house was like $1.2 million....

It seems those who couldn't afford to become a Slopie moved to that neck of the woods and have changed it for the better...The community is very active and social. They geniunely care about what is going on there and making it better.

A few years back you couldn't have sold it for a more than a quarter water at the Bodega and now its outrageous....

Be aware though the B77 and B71 has a bus route change or service is being stopped....freaking MTA!

I miss Fairway and their hotdogs...

Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Red Hook and it is very up and coming....we were going to buy there two years back because I have an Aunt that lives in that neighborhood and this little run down house was like $1.2 million....

It seems those who couldn't afford to become a Slopie moved to that neck of the woods and have changed it for the better...The community is very active and social. They geniunely care about what is going on there and making it better.

A few years back you couldn't have sold it for a more than a quarter water at the Bodega and now its outrageous....

Be aware though the B77 and B71 has a bus route change or service is being stopped....freaking MTA!

I miss Fairway and their hotdogs...

this is good to hear...serioulsy back in the 80s red hook was 1 of the worst places not even in brooklyn, but NYC. if u wanted to get shot just go to lorraine street.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 AM

It's very expensive probably due to lack of supply. Does anyone know if there are plans to build more housing in Red Hook? It's got great potential to be a quaint neighborhood and it would be nice to keep it that way by limiting the height of buildings to 6/7 stories, townhouses, etc.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Well rumor has it that the projects in Red Hook are being sold or 'privatized'. But this has been going on for years with the hopes of making it into a version of Stuy town...Also building is very difficult to do there as there has been an ongoing fight about the fact that Ikea owns a chunk of the pier or wharf which is the only working dock for ships that need to be repaired. To learn more about what is going on in that area join Red Hook Dog...even though its a dog group with determaination to keep Coffey Park and Red Hook Dog friendly they do know all the gossip and what is going up in terms of real estate...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks MrsX. I'll check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City