U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 PM

16 posts, read 72,789 times

Advertisements

It's amazing to me, with the cost of living the way it is in NYC now, how the prices, of everything, has gone sky high and there's really no end to it, and for that matter, the entire nation! Before I left, there was a rumor that the cost of living would increase in order to get and keep the poor out of the city! During my return visit's, I noticed how the tolls on the bridges, the price for parking and the homeless increased!.......A few years ago, I made my "FIRST" crossing to Staten Island on the Verrazanno Bridge......the moment I saw the amount for the toll........it was my "LAST" and it was $9.00 then and it's $12.00 now! Not sure what the prices were for an apartment in Lafayette when it first opened, but I'll bet it was lower than now? Even the name has changed......don't remember the name.....it wasn't Lafayette Estates then, Lafayette Houses maybe?.....The Bronx has come a long way from being classified as the "low income" borough of the city........It's not, exactly, the area of Central Park East & West, Fifth, Madison & Park Ave's, but it's getting there??
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 31,620 times
I remember when there was no Lafayette, it was a big lot, We used to play in it, you never knew what you might find. One year we were kicked out out PS 107 and had to go to PS 93 and we had to walk through that big field to to go to school. I lived in Soundview 1680 our building was the last building, actually that field was right in front of our building. If you were coming from the bus stop (the #27) and facing the projects it was the last building on the right. We saw Lafayette when it was being built. It was swamp land, my brother used to catch phesants, rabbits, snakes, and whatever the heck was running around on that lot. Heck at one time there were some squatters(gypsies) living on that lot. I know because we used to sneak over there and talk to them. When we moved in, the sidewalks were not completed. I left The Bronx a long time ago and trust me, I am ever so glad I did. My brother and I decided to take a trip back home, I was oh so shocked, He lives in California, and I Live in Dallas. Man it blew my mind. Don't get me wrong I'm not ashamed of coming from The Bronx, and I don't feel quilty about leaving either. I'm not saying all of The Bronx looks rough, but where I used to live is scary. I'm not a Bronx Basher, I'm proud to be Bronx Born& Bred. I have some fond memories before and after the construction of Lafayette. So call them what you may, projects, condos, co-ops....etc if it does glad to reside there then so be it. Nuff Said naynay2A

Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Affirmative naynay2A, the roads weren't paved then, Story Ave was all dirt and Clason Point, the old Military Barracks, was the first low income housing development in '41 and quickly became a high crime area! In the '50's, the Housing Authority redesigned the area and about the late '50's the plans for Lafayette were started to fill that empty space.....Looking back on it now, I think one of the real reasons was to get the Gypsies and squatters out to help make the Bronx look more respectable.....The rural look of the Bronx was over and progressive identity was key to increase revenue for the city government! I moved out west also......It was a good feeling to know that I could carry a weapon, legally, and if I had to....shoot back! I had a "love - hate" relationship with the Bronx! I loved it growing up, but began to hate it back in the late '60's because of what was happening with the loss of "pride & respect" in some areas! The "ignorance of the bad made the good look ugly".........

Bronxdale Native

Old 09-06-2010, 02:07 PM

My parents moved out of Soundview and moved to the little houses (Clason Point.) We stayed there a few years. My parents had to move because they made to much money. They relocated to Queens, and bought a house. By that time I relocated to California. I have lived in a few places, Miss. N Carolina, Georgia, and now N. Dallas trust me there is no comparison. Why is The Bronx so filthy. Even South Dallas is way cleaner than The Bronx. I live in North Dallas, I've been to the south side of lot of cities and I have not found any as filthy as The Bronx well at least the Soundview area. I knew a few people from Bronxdale. Sonny Austin, I think he had a sister named Georgella or something like that. Ethel Carson, Leslie Mcgiver, Mickey,she married Robert Lucky form Clason Point. I went to JHS 123. Anyway have a GREAT WEEK BRONXDALE NATIVE!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay2A View Post
........ Why is The Bronx so filthy ?........
The question is why do people keep making such stupid,sweeping generalizations?

Do you think Riverdale is filthy ? Do you think Pelham Parkway,Morris Park,City Island and Country Club are filthy ?

Here is what my Bronx neighborhood( Pelham Parkway) looks like.Does it look filthy to you ?
Attached Thumbnails
Lafayette Gardens Co-Op in the Bronx: Who Knew!-2292-bronx-park-east.jpg   Lafayette Gardens Co-Op in the Bronx: Who Knew!-2300-bronx-park-east.jpg   Lafayette Gardens Co-Op in the Bronx: Who Knew!-matthews-avenue.jpg   Lafayette Gardens Co-Op in the Bronx: Who Knew!-along-bronx-park-east.jpg  

Old 09-06-2010, 02:34 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Do you think Riverdale is filthy ? Do you think Pelham Parkway,Morris Park,City Island and Country Club are filthy ?

Here is what my Bronx neighborhood looks like.Does it look filthy to you
Thanks bluedog. I love discovering the Bronx!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM

I was born in Fordam Hospital when my parent's lived in the "South Bronx" with my Grandparent's (Mother's side) in a house on "Hall Place" between 165th & 167th Streets, Intervale & Prospect Aves.....We stayed there for awhile until we move down the street into the basement of an apartment building where my Dad was the super! At my toddler's age then, I can still remember how he shoveled coal into the big furnace, but I didn't know then that it heated the entire building....After a year or so, we moved to "Ravenswood Queens" but, as my Mother would say, "only stayed for a few years after being run out for being the 2nd minority family to move in"! I found out later on that some woman, who worked for the Housing Authority, was waiting for a chance to file a complaint against my Mother in order to toss us out! The chance came when my Mother went to the store for groceries and left my sister and myself in the Apt.....Not long after she left, the woman, who must've been close by, banged on the door and threatened to call the cops if I didn't let her in.....To make it short, I let her in, she looked around, left and we moved back to the Bronx and in Bronxdale! The names you mentioned are not familiar? It wasn't until we moved to the 3rd section that I made friends with a few people....As for being filthy, there were some areas I was aware of that fit the description, mostly in the South & Southeast Bronx where there were mostly poor in heavy despair! The North seemed to be cleaner........Bronxdale was run, somewhat, tight in the begining....you were fined if the housing police caught you on the grass, I guess it was the same for Clason Point & Soundview at the time, but as time went on I saw it start to get messy! I also saw a liquor store on just about every corner the further south you went in the tenement areas.......I wasn't aware of the drugs filtering in until I noticed some people I knew start using and I distanced myself from them! Not saying I was a "choir boy" now......I tried a few hits of weed now and then with a pint of gin or rum.......became an occasional user after I came back to the world from Vietnam, but never touched the hard stuff and never had a problem with the other!

When I moved into an area between Crotona Park & E. Tremont Ave in '67 I was more into recovering from the carnage of Vietnam to notice what was going on in the streets as far as being dirty goes, I also worried about getting mugged and some junkie breaking into my Apt., but it was a few of those things you had to accept because of where you were and who was there! Years before that, it was nice to be in Pelham Bay & Van Courtland Parks or go for a swim at Orchard Beach......Going up to, then, "Lake Sebago or Lake Welsh" was like being in a dream world, and I loved being at "Bear Mountain", especially when I went to a camp called "Star Lake Camp" that was sponsered by the Salvation Army......great memories! Crotona Pool wasn't that bad either, at least to me? A few of my buddy's loved to go to City Island and chow down on clams & oysters in the '70's....it was a good way to get away from the concrete and turmoil of the Bronx!

I live in "Tucson, AZ" now.....my family, with the exception of the passing of my Parent's and a Sister who passed, still live in the Bronx and other boroughs......I have no desire to return for a visit, but will if I have to.......

Bronxdale Native

Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 AM

Default Stupid, Sweeping, Generalizations. Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Here is what my Bronx neighborhood( Pelham Parkway) looks like.Does it look filthy to you ?
Hey bluedog2 dont get your shorts in a wad dude! "I SAID S O U N D V I E W IT IS FILFTY AND THATS A FACT!!! SO YOU SHOW ME ONE LITTLE AREA, IT DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. NOW IF YOU LIVE IN ANY ONE OF THOSE AREAS THAN GOD BLESS YOU MAN.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually,that's NOT what you said.

This is what you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay2A View Post
........... Why is The Bronx so filthy. Even South Dallas is way cleaner than The Bronx........
Where in those sentences are you specifying Soundview ?

I may have only showed you "one little area" but the neighborhoods that I listed( and you can add Throg's Neck,Pelham Gardens,Woodlawn,Bedford Park,Van Cortlandt Village,Pelham Bay,Baychester) and a few other areas, are not "tiny" when you add them up..They make up about 1/2 of The Bronx.

You may have grown up in Soundview but it doesn't sound like you are really that familiar with The Bronx ,so you shouldn't be speaking in such generalities.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-08-2010 at 05:23 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
There is nothing wrong with Soundview..it is actually quite residential, and the area specifically at Lafayette is a working class neighborhood and quiet, with a large park along the waterfront. If you happen to live in Lafayette Gardens, you may also have great city views! And yes..it is pretty clean too...and THAT is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or