U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 02:09 PM

64 posts, read 169,317 times

Advertisements

We'll be visiting NY this summer but I don't know where to start and what to see or do. We are coming from Florida over Washington DC.
We = family 2 adult and 2 kids (13-15y)
I was told that the best way to come to NY city is to park the car and take the ferry.
If this is a good idea, can anyone inform me on what there is to see and do from there on.
We would just like to see and feel what NY is all about. Culture, buildings, also 9-11, typical NY stuff, things that my kids will remember and have seen on tv and in movies. Nice sites and maybe an overview from the city from the top of a tall building or center.
Maybe also a good place to get a typical NY bike during our visit.

Hope that someone will be able to guide us.
Frank from Belgium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,082,869 times
Default New York attractions

Some of the things that I would see with kids, The Empire State Buidling, Central Park/carriage ride, Radio City Music Hall, Museum of Natural History, United Nations, if you want to go further uptown into the Bronx, Bontanical Gardens/Bronx Zoo right across the street.

There are so many wonderful things to see in NY, I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions.

If it were me, I'd just drive into Manhattan and park at a garage, or in the Port Authority building, coming out of the Lincoln tunnel. Beats taking a ferry.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:59 PM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Take a ride on the Staten Island ferry (which is free) for a great view of the Statue of Liberty.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:37 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Take a ride on the Staten Island ferry (which is free) for a great view of the Statue of Liberty.
It is free, but I highly recommend paying and taking the Ellis Island/ Statue of Liberty tour. 1 in 6 Americans can trace their ancestors to immigrants who came through Ellis Island and into America in the late 1800/ early 1900's. It's pretty interesting.

Check out the Empire State Building from the observation deck at Rockefeller Center, Top of the Rock. Best view of the ESB!

Walk through Times Square- the worlds's biggest advertisment. Kids may enjoy the big Toys R Us, m&m store, MTV studio on street level, etc.

Many great museums, but Museum of Nature & Science is the best and most entertaining for kids (dinosaurs, planetarium, etc). Mom & dad might enjoy The Frick or the JP Morgan Library & Museum- two fantastic small museums that can be covered in an hour or two.

Explore Central Park

Visit Little Italy or Chinatown.

Shop at one of NYC's best known and most beloved department stores- Bloomingdale's on 59th & Lexington or Macy's in Herald Square. Both are HUGE & just fun to see.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:16 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It is free, but I highly recommend paying and taking the Ellis Island/ Statue of Liberty tour. 1 in 6 Americans can trace their ancestors to immigrants who came through Ellis Island and into America in the late 1800/ early 1900's. It's pretty interesting.
The problem with actually taking the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island is that there is normally a long line which involves a long wait to get on that ferry. If one only has 2-3 days to spend in NYC, one may not to waste so much time on that when there are so many other things to see. That is why I again recommend taking the Staten Island ferry which is free and one can board very easily on both ends (without much waiting time).

Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
At the west end of 42nd St is the aircraft carrier Intrepid museum along with the sub Growler and a Concord jet,the kids would have fun exploring..

Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,901,941 times
South Street Seaport is nice, the kids can tour some pretty large boats and you can take a walk nearby on Wall St. to see what its like...further south you can go to Battery Park and check the view of the Statue of Liberty from the part of Manhatten that is closest to it.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:45 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
You should definitely explore the Museum of Natural History, Hayden Planetarium, Rose Center for Earth and Space on the UWS (Central Park West & 79th Street). You can then explore nearby Central Park, though you might only have time for a brief overview of the park. On the east side of the park, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is also worth a visit, but you would have to look online ahead of time and plan what you wanted to see, since the collection is so vast.

You can also take a Circle Line ferry around Manhattan (about 3 hours) and get a good overview from the rivers. You would only have time for one of the ferries, however, either Liberty/Ellis (which can take the better part of a day), or the Circle Line. The SI Ferry is also a good option, and can be easily incorporated into a day in Lower Manhattan.

It can be great to have the perspective of NY from one of the observation decks, and Top of the Rock tends to be less crowded than the Empire State Building, though the ESB is the standard for many tourists.

You could also go to a Broadway show, if the mood strikes, just get day of, half price tickets from the TKTS booth in Times Square, if you decide to add that as an option.

You are much better off leaving the car and not having to worry about parking in Manhattan. Plus, you can get places faster via subway, which will be a factor, given the short duration of your stay.

It would be best to break up the trip into segments: Lower Manhattan and one of the cruises, including dining, shopping, and exploring one day. Then, look to Midtown, perhaps a Broadway show, Museum of Natural History, and ESB/Top of the Rock the next day. It would give you time to explore, and would minimize travel times between attractions.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 PM

64 posts, read 169,317 times
Thanks alot for this accurate helpfull information. I've looked up your POI on a map and I can see that this should be a good way to explore NY City.

Thx, Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City