U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
Exactly. I'm like doesnt this dude live in the Bronx? What does he think of the "ghetto" shopping districts there.
I actually agree that it's like Fordham Road and 3rd Avenue and 149th st.
What do I think about them ? They are all ugly and useless and there are too many of them all over the city ripping people off with the total junk that they sell. It was nothing against Brooklyn if that's what you thought. I avoid them all

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-09-2010 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,397,415 times
It's like a more updated version of Jamaica Ave to me, there's also wider sidewalks, there's like 60 Foot Lockers in a 2 block radius.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Just like Fordham Road, and 149th & Third Avenue.
I actually think the outdoor mall on Fordham Road is kinda okay, and it's getting better. I'm not afraid to say it. It seems to be trending a little up in terms of the quality of the retailers. Last year they added the Sears/BestBuy/Walgreens/24hour gym, an Applebees, and this year they just added a BBQ (not talking about the Dallas BBQ I believe it's called Dickies or something like that) spot, a Checkers and a 7-Eleven (not open yet)...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 06-09-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,513,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbatiste View Post
Fulton Street is very long. It runs from one end of Brooklyn to the other (from Down town/Brooklyn Heights through to East New York).

The down town part has a lot of fast food restaurants and stores like Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, Wendys, McDonalds, Modell's, Macy's, Kay Jeweler, Dr. J's etc. (by the way Fulton Mall was torn down)

As you travel towards Clinton Hill you see more apartments buildings, supermarkets, laundry mats, restaurants and salons/barber shops.

Keep going through to BedStuy and you run into another shopping area including fast food restaurants like Golden Krust, McDonalds, Rent A Center, Jennifer Furniture, small mom and pop stores and carribbean restaurants.

Further into East New York you see mostly apartment buildings and a few stores here and there.

I am not sure why you are inquiring but I wouldn't want to live on Fulton Street due to the noise and traffic however, if your opening a business it would be a great location.
Your description completely skipped over the Fort Greene section of Fulton St, which is high-end, hip & trendy. There are shops, bars and restaurants. The side streets have beautiful brownstone homes. Nearby you have BAM and the Atlantic Terminal/Mall. The rest of your description is pretty accurate.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 PM

283 posts, read 441,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I actually agree that it's like Fordham Road and 3rd Avenue and 149th st.
What do I think about them ? They are all ugly and useless and there are too many of them all over the city ripping people off with the total junk that they sell. It was nothing against Brooklyn if that's what you thought. I avoid them all
Okay, as long as you know this is just your opinion. You are aware that the Fulton mall is the third most profitable commercial district in the city, right? The rents there are Manhattan high and something like 100,000 walk through the strip every day. I don't think that would be the case if they were just ripping people off with useless junk. It's just obviously not for you. But hey, universalistic rhetoric is more powerful than facts, right?

Old 06-11-2010, 03:50 PM

283 posts, read 441,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I actually think the outdoor mall on Fordham Road is kinda okay, and it's getting better. I'm not afraid to say it. It seems to be trending a little up in terms of the quality of the retailers. Last year they added the Sears/BestBuy/Walgreens/24hour gym, an Applebees, and this year they just added a BBQ (not talking about the Dallas BBQ I believe it's called Dickies or something like that) spot, a Checkers and a 7-Eleven (not open yet)...

So chain stores = quality? Are you sure you're a "Noo Yowker"?

Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
So chain stores = quality? Are you sure you're a "Noo Yowker"?
Yes if it means 7-11 instead of Twin Donut, and Checkers or a place like Applebees instead of Crown Fried Chicken. I get your point and I agree but this is Fordham Road we are talking about. Context! Context! Context!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 AM

277 posts, read 1,285,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Your description completely skipped over the Fort Greene section of Fulton St, which is high-end, hip & trendy. There are shops, bars and restaurants. The side streets have beautiful brownstone homes. Nearby you have BAM and the Atlantic Terminal/Mall. The rest of your description is pretty accurate.

Yeah your right....how could I forget.....Cake Man, Moshood, Night of the Cookers, The Greene Grape...etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or