U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:24 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,512,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
Why do most NYers choose Florida?
With the high concentration of NYers already there, it's like a mini NY in some areas. You get the food you like, your old neighborhood people are there but no snow
Lately, I've been noticing a shift from Florida to the Carolinas, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 AM

142 posts, read 360,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
With the high concentration of NYers already there, it's like a mini NY in some areas. You get the food you like, your old neighborhood people are there but no snow
Lately, I've been noticing a shift from Florida to the Carolinas, though.
I've noticed that too when I lived in Charleston for a very brief period.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
I grew up with the best of both worlds, living in Manhattan and also in semi-rural Northern Westchester. So, to me, it would be difficult to settle into any one area exclusively, as there are things that you can do in the country setting, such as amateur astronomy with one's father in the field behind their house, that is impossible because of the light pollution in the city. And, having access to world-class museums, shows, and the energy of the city -- it would be difficult to give up one or the other entirely.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-08-2010, 03:56 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,083,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
Why do most NYers choose Florida?
They think its cheap to live here, they think living in the heat will be fun. They think they will play golf everyday. They think there's no hurricanes here.
LOL.......Florida is like fantasyland, nothing is real.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,317,230 times
i think I would enjoy the country more if it weren't for small town mentalities. I went to a high school an hour outside of Cleveland, catholic and one time I mentioned that I was prochoice and no one talked to me after that.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 5,286 times
I think it depends a little on what age group you are talking to. If it's the younger age group (18-25) they will prob want the hustle and bustle of the city. I lived in a very rural town while growing up in Indiana where the only thing to do was going to a movie/bowling rink that was right next to a sewage plant. There was nothing to do and if I was sick it was an hour drive to get to a good doctor. NYC is a lot better than living in the country for the you if you are the younger generation.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,560,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I grew up with the best of both worlds, living in Manhattan and also in semi-rural Northern Westchester. So, to me, it would be difficult to settle into any one area exclusively, as there are things that you can do in the country setting, such as amateur astronomy with one's father in the field behind their house, that is impossible because of the light pollution in the city. And, having access to world-class museums, shows, and the energy of the city -- it would be difficult to give up one or the other entirely.
I have a bit of a similar story, although I grew up in Lower/central Westchester but when I lived abroad I lived in the country overseas and it was a bit interesting and a little weird. The weird thing was how good the public transit was in "the country" out there. I still can't get over how convenient (but expensive) that it was to use DB rail/ICE/S-bahn systems. I also would spend summers in the country in rural parts of the south with family. The things I'll never forget here and abroad was the difference in air quality. I feel eventually I will move to the country (abroad) when i'm older.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM

880 posts, read 1,661,859 times
I have lived my whole life in New York and yes, I have actually thought about it. I was really thinking hard about going away to college either in Pennsylvania or somewhere suburban or rural, somewhere to get away from the city because I get really sick of going to the same places at times. But I do cons and pros about both and whatnot, both have good and bad, like commuting and how I don't like isolated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or