U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM

870 posts, read 1,287,328 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NYC and even as a little girl growing up in an apartment my friends and I made believe that we lived in houses w/white picket fences. I moved to Fl at 30 and at 50 moved to the mountains. I have friends that still live in the same apartment that they lived in 25 years ago. Yes, in my 20's I did SRO at theatres (standing room only) and visited museums and went out to restaurants and clubs...yes you sacrifice that if you choose to live in the country but....the space, the air, the parking...lol...I could go on and on! Just wondering if any of you WISH for 'the simple life'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:53 PM

769 posts, read 1,171,544 times
Nope. I grew up in NYC and then we moved to Florida. My mother deeply regrets it and so do I, which is why I am trying to move back there. There are some appealing things about it, but in general I think NYC is better. Right now my husband and I have a 2,000 square foot house and 2 nice cars, and most people would say we live quite well- all on a low six figure income. We can drive everywhere and not pay for parking, grill our dinner several nights a week, etc.

But- the heat is absolutely ridiculous and unbearable. Electric bills are through the roof. Cost of living has skyrocketed compared to what it used to be and salaries have not gone up. Public schools are a nightmare as far as the level of education children are getting and many classrooms have over 40 students in them. Everything in public schools is based on that dumb FCAT test. Hospitals are okay if you're not that sick- but for anything complicated or serious illness you generally need to leave the state. Eveything moves slower down here- literally. No real culture. Kids go to Disney on field trips. I thought field trips were supposed to be educational? Also, for professional people in the business world, good jobs are very limited. Not that many fortune 500's or even publicly traded companies around.

I can understand why some people would want to move to FL- but it's not all it's cracked up to be. TV portrays it as some paradise- living here is far from that. Not to mention what the housing bust has done to the state's economy. I'd rather live in a city with better hospitals, real culture, museums, diversity, give my kids a chance at getting a real education and maybe going to a great university, give myself a shot at climbing the ladder at a big company, etc. And owning that nice house you've always dreamed of isn't that great either. Houses suck up a lot of money.

I can see myself moving out of NY when I retire, but somewhere cooler than FL- maybe North Carolina.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM

279 posts, read 694,026 times
Yes,I have not only thought about it but I've done it.Going on 6 years in the backwoods of Vermont.The only things I really miss are food related.The usuals that you hear people say they miss when they move away from NYC.,good Chinese Food,Pizza and Bagels.I purchased 3 and a half acres of land and a nice home and my mortgage incl.property tax and insurance is about half of what I was paying renting in Brooklyn.I still go down to the city 3-6 times a year depending on work commitments or family events.
WARNINGO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A JOB LINED UP BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT JUST FIND ONE!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 PM

870 posts, read 1,287,328 times
I live on 2.7 acres in a farmhouse that I restored that was built in 1886 in Western NC. Florida was VERY good to me. I started my own biz and enjoyed a great life, living on the water but yet I YEARNED for the country and it's everything I ever dreamed of and more. I am glad I experienced growing up in a city as vibrant as NY but now I'm old(er) retired and I LOVE walking outside in my pajamas! I am still fascinated by the NYC lifestyle and would love to hear from others, if they ever yearn for peace and quiet! My Mom lived in Manhattan till she had to go to a nursing home and she NEVER wanted to live ANYWHERE else but the heart of NYC!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM

769 posts, read 1,171,544 times
My husband's grandmother has a house in the mountains in NC and her property is spectacular! I could totally see myself moving there when I retire. She has 10 acres high up in the mountains and a beautiful house. Very peaceful. But she doesn't live there in the winter. Comes to her FL house for that.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM

907 posts, read 2,128,015 times
I enjoy both city and country living but prefer the city. When I want to get away from it all I go visit friends/family in other parts of the country.

The week of July 4th about a dozen friends/family will be staying at a cabin in the Tennessee mountains. We'll go hiking, grill some steaks and burgers, and sit back with a cold one while watching the camp fire. I simply can't wait to go! But I know after 4 or 5 days I'll be ready to come back.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 PM

16,506 posts, read 8,950,760 times
I lived in NYC for 12 years and just bought a house an hour outside of the city. It's wonderful! We live on a lake, have 1/2 an acre, have a nice house, and we have a car. It's so beautiful up here and we are so happy. However, we are just an hour away from the city - so it's kind of the best of both worlds!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 PM

867 posts, read 1,307,855 times
I am a lifelong New Yorker who got to spend three years in New Mexico and three years in Arizona. What a magnificent adventure! Came back to New York because the slow economy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I never thought of leaving NYC until I spent three months driving from coast to coast--the beauty of this country and its diversity is humbling. Photography is my hobby, so exploring the open country holds a special attraction to me. Even now, although I enjoy being back in New York, I have a nagging desire to be out in the southwest again. Going camping in mountains, seeing herds of elk in the wild, fishing in fast moving mountain streams, seeing mountain ranges from my bedroom window feeds my soul in ways that an urbane NYC lifestyle cannot. I will always be New Yorker, and must come back at least once a year. However, I can now picture myself living permanently in New Mexico.

http://stylepeterson.com/new-mexico/new-mexico-16.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,809,653 times
I grew up in Queens and have lived here most of my life but my family had a summer home, which gave me the benefit of both worlds. NYC is a nice playground when you're young but lately I've found myself growing tired of the hustle-bustle and I often miss the country, my garden, the beach, seeing stars at night, crisp, cool summer nights, no traffic, crickets ... ahhhhh

Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 AM

142 posts, read 244,180 times
Why do most NYers choose Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City