U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 PM

953 posts, read 2,323,212 times

Advertisements

I need some suggestions on finding a place to stay that is reasonable and not ghetto. We don’t need luxury amenities. We’ll park the Honda Odyssey and use the subway or taxi. Thanks!

I'm driving through New York City with four children age 4 to 9. We plan to stay for 4 nights and visit some of these places:

1.Bronx Zoo
2.Sony / American Girl's Place / Midtown
3.Museum of Natural History
4.Forbes Galleries
5.NY Fire Museum / 9/11
6.Central Park
7.Federal Reserve Bank
8.Brooklyn Children's Museum
9.Staten Island Ferry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,531,740 times
Your best bets are likely going to be in Northern New Jersey. Jersey City will tend to be a bit to the higher side, though it offers convenient PATH access, but the car will be charged a daily rate, too.

There's a Fairfield Inn in East Rutherford, where you could catch a NJTransit bus to the city. Parking is generally not charged as an additional fee that far out. In Fort Lee, there is a Doubletree that is very close to the George Washington Bridge that offers a shuttle to the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal. And, if you don't mind being a little further out, there's a Best Western in Hackensack.

Fairfield Marriott - East Rutherford

Doubletree - Fort Lee

Best Western - Hackensack

New Jersey Transit Trip Planner: NJTransit

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
My friend has had good luck bidding for NYC hotels on priceline. I've never used it but I'm sure there are online advice guides on how to get the best deals.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM

960 posts, read 1,960,685 times
The La Quinta Inn in Long Island City, Queens is only two stops subway stops outside of Manhattan, and their rates are generally about $100 per night. I have always thought La Quinta gives great value for the price, I have stayed at their hotels all over the country and love the service and rooms. It is a fairly new La Quinta so it is nicely appointed. That section of Long Island City is a bit more industrial looking, it is situated just between a factory district and a residential area, but it is on a busy street in a decent area. However, it just outside of Manhattan (five minutes from Grand Central Terminal by subway) and if you want great ethnic restaurants, a five minute drive down Queens Blvd will put you in the heart of one of the most charming neighborhoods in New York with great Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, restaurants & lots of green grocers at very reasonable prices--much cheaper than eating out in Manhattan for the family. That hotel tends to book pretty quickly as it is a great value.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 PM

880 posts, read 1,662,293 times
The Gershwin Hotel is pretty cheap. I think their cheapest is about $40 per night. I don't know how small or how many beds the cheapest room has but you're basically only touring the city throughout the whole day and crashing there at night to sleep right? And the neighborhood is pretty good as well, it's in the Flatiron area and the subway is about a block away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or