U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM

880 posts, read 1,668,648 times

Advertisements

Queens has a lot of prewar apartments, as far as I'm concerned. Like Sunnyside, Astoria and Woodside because those are some of the old neighborhoods in Queens. But it actually depends on the building. Some buildings are so old, they go under a lot of maintenance and usually have problems, so those might be a little cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 PM

917 posts, read 2,561,559 times
Do you have any idea what your budget will be? If you can swing $1000 for a room in Manhattan or $700 for the outer boros, you'll have lot more choices. Don't forget, you'll be expected to make 40x the annual rent, so you'll have to make $40,000 a year to get that nice room.

I ended up in my crappy old apartment because I earned less than $20K a year and $500 was all I could afford. Now that I live with my BF (who makes a lot more than I do and covers 3/4 of the rent), we have a much nicer place because we have a much higher budget.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:02 PM

133 posts, read 257,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Do you have any idea what your budget will be? If you can swing $1000 for a room in Manhattan or $700 for the outer boros, you'll have lot more choices. Don't forget, you'll be expected to make 40x the annual rent, so you'll have to make $40,000 a year to get that nice room.

I ended up in my crappy old apartment because I earned less than $20K a year and $500 was all I could afford. Now that I live with my BF (who makes a lot more than I do and covers 3/4 of the rent), we have a much nicer place because we have a much higher budget.
I'm a Fashion Merchandising major. I'm thinking about working in either Fashion PR, as a Stylist, or in Fashion Journalism.

So I'll be starting between $25,000-$40,000. I'm not sure but I'm trying to find some stats on NYC salaries for the Fashion industry.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:29 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,633,877 times
How can you tell if a prewar building has an elevator or not? Of course the ones you see in the LES that are 2 families wide are walkups, however the ones in The West Bronx look like they're much bigger and have room for elevators.

As for this thread's question, it would be Manhattan first. The runner up is more difficult because I would go with The Bronx, but so many buildings East of Webster Ave and West of The Bronx River were lost to fires in the 70s. I think The Bronx still might win if you don't count multifamily brownstones/limestones as apartment buildings.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Queens has a lot of prewar apartments, as far as I'm concerned. Like Sunnyside, Astoria and Woodside because those are some of the old neighborhoods in Queens. But it actually depends on the building. Some buildings are so old, they go under a lot of maintenance and usually have problems, so those might be a little cheaper.
Do those neighborhoods have any walls of 6 story buildings like you see in Manhattan and the West Bronx, or is it mostly just 3 story buildings with the occasional 6 story here and there?

Old 07-22-2018, 06:33 AM

As much as I love The Bronx for this kind of stuff, I realize I should check out Upper Manhattan too. It looks like an even larger chunk of this type of architecture.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:49 AM

4,181 posts, read 3,492,037 times
Bronx possibly Washington Heights

Old 07-23-2018, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Bronx possibly Washington Heights
I think Manhattan wins. Washington Heights and Inwood alone appear to be at least as large as the chunk of the West Bronx with the surviving buildings, plus the rest of Manhattan also has those buildings.

The East Bronx is mostly rowhomes and the South Bronx was largely destroyed by arson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City