U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM

460 posts, read 512,621 times

Advertisements

For those who think that southern kindness is fake, it's obvious that you've never spent much time in the south.

I think the "New Yorkers are too busy to be nice to everybody" line is just an excuse. You know, people in other cities have jobs and obligations too but they find time for random acts of kindness because they like being unnecessarily nice to people.

I agree with the poster who said that calling out after someone who dropped their wallet should not qualify as "nice," but the bare minimum.

Personally, I don't think New Yorkers are nicer or ruder than other peoples, they just don't want to deal with strangers as much. This is totally understandable given the density of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,586,770 times
Not. It's a consistent myth. Every sretch of time that I have spent in NYC has been awesome. People in NYC are just concerned with what they got to get done, but if you need their help, they will either try or tell you that they are just too busy at the moment.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,787,385 times
Generally speaking, New Yorkers (and really people from the Northeast) tend to be blunt, direct, and sort of impatient which can be easily mistaken for being rude by outsiders, especially if they are from areas where the local culture is relaxed and carefree.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:28 AM

880 posts, read 1,664,876 times
The answer is no. Not all of us are. The only reason as to why people would think we are rude is because we're just annoyed by the amount of transplants who have these negative views about us. I think there's all kinds of people in each city, there's always going to be rude and there's always going to be nice people.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 AM

51,371 posts, read 50,647,478 times
And sometimes, as it has been pointed out on other threads, the perception of rudeness can come from outsiders who are themselves being very rude and seemingly unaware of it, such as in standing in clumps blocking sidewalks during rush hour or not being ready to order when it's their turn at a deli. Acting this way can seem rude, or at the very least, a lack of common sense, to people in New York, who might react in a way that seems rude to a person who comes from an area where they have all the time in the world.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,294 times
I think them Jew Yorkers being really rude played a big part in God's decision to have them planes crash into buildings there.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:46 AM

1,118 posts, read 1,909,026 times
1) ^ What?

2) I'm convinced the majority of tourists who think that New Yorkers are rude are actually dealing with other rude tourists. New Yorkers don't really go to the same places as tourists; if you ever go more off the beaten path where it's mainly locals, you'll see that streets are cleaner, people are more relaxed, and in general we're nicer. I'm positive that it's the same tourists who perpetually litter and clog SoHo who claim that we New Yorkers are rude and filthy people. Sorry to have offended any non-natives here, just a thought.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 AM

9,833 posts, read 21,526,775 times
Natives aren't rude but they aren't friendly either.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,367,745 times
I think New Yorkers are very friendly, but friendly in their own way. They are generous, kind people who will look out for you - but it's a different style of friendliness.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:03 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,261,938 times
It depends- NYers can be the nicest people you'll ever meet or your worst enemy. But I must amit, the rudest jerks I've met have been affected tourists and transplants trying to act all BAMF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or