U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,320,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I think that subsidizing birth control would be a good idea in the near future. I know, more dreaded tax dollars but I used to audit vouchers for Section 8 housing and the average household was 1 mother, and 4 children, no father. Birth Control would hopefully reduce those household sizes and if not, those mothers won't get any subsidy for anymore than 2 children.
I would 100% support this. 110%!!! I am so tired of my tax dollars going to Section 8 and WIC and Grants for young mothers to go to college. Having a baby is a choice 100% of the time. Yes 100% of the time. YOU HAVE TO CHOSE TO HAVE IT. Don't talk to me about religion. I didn't lie on my back for a free education and housing neither should someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 04:52 PM

19,161 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
The projects and section 8 were never meant to be lifelong programs in 90% of cases (people who are not elderly or severely disabled). These were meant to keep a roof over your head while you got on your feet. The reason these programs are running out of money is because instead of living there a few years while learning a career, then getting a job (even if that means moving to another city), people use them for generations.

If more people were using them for their intended purpose (as a temporary place to live while they bettered themselves professionally), the programs wouldn't be so expensive to taxpayers, there wouldn't be huge waiting lists and the overall conditions of the participants would improve. I would have no problem capping the length of time a family could live in the projects or receive section 8- say, 5 years. In 5 years you could learn a trade and get some work experience, all while saving money due to having subsidized rent. If you squander your 5 years, too bad- other people who might make more use of the situation will now have a chance.

I do think it's important to keep some middle class housing available even in wealthy areas, but that is very different from Section 8 and the projects.
actually now that i think about maybe that nycha being but as a temporary situation isnt true. my example is red hook houses in brooklyn which was specifically built to house the dockworkers and their families. at the time when they were built (1939 i believe), red hook had a thriving waterfront industry. which also explains why its the biggest nycha development in brooklyn.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM

917 posts, read 2,554,974 times
Actually, birth control and family planning are subsidized for the poor. NY State has a family planning program just for poor young women that will give you FREE birth control and yearly pap smears & STD testing and cover abortions if you make $18,000 for a single woman with no kids (sliding scale from there). It's very easy to get and takes all of 5 minutes to fill out the forms (Planned Parenthood even fills them out for you if you go to them). Instead of shelling out food stamps and apartments, we could be preventing unwanted pregnancies for $20 a month.

No one in NY State can claim they are too poor to prevent pregnancy- they can only be too lazy.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 8,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I agree with the Posters above however, if these people end up on the street with nowhere to go then hell would eventually break loose. Double-edged sword. I think the problem is so complex now that imposing any radical change like housing term-limits will pose major crime issues and civil unrest. We should have reformed it back in the 70s IMO.

I think that subsidizing birth control would be a good idea in the near future. I know, more dreaded tax dollars but I used to audit vouchers for Section 8 housing and the average household was 1 mother, and 4 children, no father. Birth Control would hopefully reduce those household sizes and if not, those mothers won't get any subsidy for anymore than 2 children.
Just because a woman has 4 kids doesn't mean that she has 4 diff fathers. I have 4 children but I was married once and divorced due to domestic violence. So please don't lump everyone in the same pot.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,853,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForANewStart View Post
Just because a woman has 4 kids doesn't mean that she has 4 diff fathers. I have 4 children but I was married once and divorced due to domestic violence. So please don't lump everyone in the same pot.
The post stated no father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or