Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 15,101 times

Advertisements

I am planning to transfer my job to Monticello NY from North Carolina. I have a son in high school, and my husband lives in the Bronx family home and works in the Bronx. My question is where is a good in between place to live nice safe good schools easy to commute best is by train car or bus to Monticello, and from the Bronx to my new city to live in. I am not use to snow at all, we get around 3-6'" of snow only several times a year if that. I heard that Monticello does not have trains that commute to NYC. For now the plan is for my husband to commute on his days off, and for me to live close to Monticello, and eventually he will move to the new city I choose to live in. the must haves of the city are trains close by to get to and from to the bronx at ease, clean city and great schools. This city needs to be in between Monticello and the Bronx. Please help, I will appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thank you

Last edited by wiferichards; 06-09-2010 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
There are Trains about 30-45 mins away in Middletown,NY and that goes to Hoboken Terminal there you can switch to the PATH or NY waterway. Although the Port Jervis line takes about 1.20 hrs form Middletown to Hoboken. I doubt Bus would be any better , might be worse with the I-87 Traffic. Or you can drive to Beacon and take the Hudson line to the Bronx. Either way its still going to be a long commute , more then an hour. Your Husband would be called a "Super" Commuter. Monticello isn't near Albany,NY its "Downstate"

Old 06-12-2010, 06:06 PM

197 posts, read 636,070 times
Monticello to anywhere in NYC is atleast 2 hours each way commute. Monticello is pretty much a dump, and the area's around it might have some nice scenery, but the people are poor and the economy is bad. even Middletown to NYC is one hell of a commute. I know when I took the train from Suffern to Hoboken it was atleast 40 minutes, Middletown to Hoboken has to be atleast 1:30 min. Thats only getting you to Hoboken, Then you have to take the path train into Manhattan, then whatever to get to the bronx. Id say a good spot that equals both your times to travel would be somewhere like Haverstraw- Stony Point, or Monroe-Woodbury Area.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 AM

3 posts, read 15,101 times
Thanks a bunch for your posts. Since the last time I was here, I did much praying, and they were answered, no Monticello for me. I got transfered somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York