Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times

Advertisements

Ithaca is deffinitely liberal, and economically and culturaly well off, with the small town feel...BUT...it's also (for Upstate NY standards) a little pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,127 times
From the article linked by rochacha:
Quote:
The School District has mandated that elementary school students in the first and second grades be graded on how well they "respect others of varying cultures, genders, experiences, and abilities." It's even listed on the schools' report card.
My God. What an awful place. They're really teaching children this? Thank God someone brought this to our attention.

And the police chief wants diversity in the police department? The nerve!

If this is what makes Ithaca evil, then I guess I'm all for it. I guess, according to the freeper article, Jesus wouldn't have wanted children to learn to respect their fellow human being.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 15,431 times
Quote:
If you really lean far into the tree-hugging crazy liberal stereotype
Well, I suppose I am a tree-hugging liberal, although I don't think of myself as a stereotype of anything, and the crazy aspect isn't necessarily due to the liberal one . As far as the "City of Evil" is concerned, sadly I don't think I'm economically flush enough to swing Ithaca, evil or not.

What about Naples? Pros/cons? I drove through there last summer and I remember it being very pretty. Any opinions? I'm still digging through websites and realtor listings checking out all the previously mentioned places but if anyone has any more location suggestions I'll gladly add those to my list!

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
From the article linked by rochacha:

<<Quote:
The School District has mandated that elementary school students in the first and second grades be graded on how well they "respect others of varying cultures, genders, experiences, and abilities." It's even listed on the schools' report card.>>

My God. What an awful place. They're really teaching children this?.
I believe strongly in teacing our children to respect people regardless of our differences, but GRADING them? That kind of Orwellian bullcr*p makes me livid. First of all, It is completely subjective, secondly, people who engage in anti-social behaviour need correction, not an 'F' on their report card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
And the police chief wants diversity in the police department? The nerve!
Ideally, civic institutions like the police department should reflect the population they serve. However, I believe using race/religion/ethnicity as a qualification or disqualification for a job is racist. How would you like it if you didn't get a job because they already had someone who looked/ate/prayed like you on the payroll?

ABQConvict

Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 15,431 times
Hi! Guys? Let's not get too sidetracked here. We've established:

a. I am indeed a crazy tree-hugging/bleeding-heart liberal, daughter of Satan, etc. But, I can't afford to buy a house in Ithaca (lately revealed as the nexus of all sinister Big Brother activities).

b. I would like suggestions regarding where I can buy a house under $100K and live a good, safe, comfy life off the beaten path with my daughter on a freelance designer's income. Preferably in an area where different types of people can get along respectfully and peaceably.

Now how about some opinions on Naples? Or more places to research?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:46 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,639 times
Naples is a great little town to look into.

I would also recommend Geneseo -- Nice little town with funky flavor due to the college (SUNY Geneseo); very close to Letchworth State Park (just a beautiful park -- the "Grand Canyon" of the east); and VERY easy to get into Rochester right up Route 390.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,695 times
Wink $100,000 House

I live in Avon NY a little rural town/village 30 miles south of Rochester NY. Rochester is very cultural, as well as Geneseo 6 miles south of us. I will be selling my Mom's cape cod in the town section of avon for this price. 3 1/2 BR 1B, full basement, galley kit., DR & LR. Also a large yard. The school practice fields are just up the street- sidewalks across the street on the "village side". The nice thing is you pay town taxes only, not village- but reap the benefits of being just across the street from the village. Don't know if you still need a house, but thought I'd let you have this info.

Last edited by sonnyzeeb; 08-17-2007 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: price wrong- too many zeros!

Old 12-26-2007, 02:33 PM

75 posts, read 351,968 times
I have found a ton of houses under 90k in allegany county.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:06 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times
Default You'd LOVE Ithaca (and it's affordable)

You can find plenty of nice houses under $100K in and AROUND Ithaca (I live there!). Look in some of the rural "suburbs" - Caroline, Enfield, Newfield, Dryden. Or in Cortland, which is 30 minutes away from Ithaca (I work there, lovely commute, two traffic lights between my house and downtown Cortland (where I have to go through 2 more before getting to work). I live in Ithaca and food shop in Cortland - that's how close it is. LOTS of VERY NICE houses in Cortland under $100K. Taxes are high in the city of Ithaca but not so high in rural surrounds, or in Cortland.

Sounds like you would love Ithaca (I do!). Lots of good culture, much of it FREE (free concerts at Cornell all the time, and at Ithaca College; lectures (the Dalai Lama was here recently, though his talks were pricey!); performers on the Commons on summer evenings; museums (Johnson Art, Sciencenter is great for kids, etc.); several theaters (the play kind, as well as the movie kind)), and recreational activities in summer and winter - the lake and gorges, hiking and biking trails, skiing, ice rink, lots of geocaches, etc....

Come check it out! PM me and I can hook you up with a great real estate agent, if you want.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post Another idea............

If you don't mind some snow (not as much as the lakeside towns) and some cold, I think you might like the Plattsburgh, NY area. Surrounding towns are quaint and in any direction you have a ready market for your wares..........

To the west are the second home areas of Saranac Lake and Lake Placid where a lot of artists are now........to the east is Vermont. The entire state is artists and creative people but the real estate there is pricey. You can definitely live here and sell there.......Don't forget the Canadians. They are still spending money like crazy and to the south you have the horsey/Saratoga crowd which seems to be creeping farther and farther northward. Plattsburgh has actually become pretty touristy during the summer because of Lake Champlain and the Canadians, but still feels intimate. There is the SUNY college art department here and an active arts council............Just might want to check it out as well...............Lake, mountains and apple valleys........nice historical architecture as well..........
The biggest plus is that you could actually find a decent semi-rural house for under 100,000 on a nice sized and beautiful lot with great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York